Raisins

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Raisins

Postby timebomb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:32 pm

I have been given a large 10kg box of raisins and am after some ideas as to how to use them. I plan on using a small amount to flavour with (most likely rums) but i will never get through them by using a cup here a there. So i feel i should ferment with them and i guess make what will probably be a raisin brandy. I have found a few different recipes, but am wondering if anyone here has done it before and how it turned out. I am also open to the idea of maybe doing a mixed ferment with possible other fruit / grains / flavours. I did find the Apple pear raisin Split Brandy thread on here that sounds nice but doesnt seem to use many raisins. Any ideas would be great, thanks.
timebomb

equipment: 2" boka, 2" keg pot, stove top pot

Re: Raisins

Postby djfrestyla » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:15 pm

There is a recipe on here somewhere on Grappa made with raisins.
djfrestyla

equipment: Nixon Stone, Valve reflux on a 55L electric keg (retired)
2"Pot Still (retired)
4"Copper Bubbler, W/Lava Packed section.

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Oat & raisin whiskey? Liquid breakfast! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Or... Raisin rum? just whack a few 30L ferments together and see how ya go 8-}
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Raisins are very expensive so you are very lucky to have scored so many :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Raisins are basically dries grapes which contain everything that yeast needs for a perfect ferment.Many Fruit wine recipes use raisins to supplement lacking nutrients .

I don't think Rum is your answer at all here ...its a Molasses based spirit ( and I like it that way :teasing-tease: ) ....but no harm in experimenting as you have so much

If you intend fermenting these as a main source of sugar then sounds like a Grappa would be your best option to aim for ...otherwise they would merely be a subsidiary to another main ferment
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby timebomb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:15 am

Urrazeb wrote:Oat & raisin whiskey? Liquid breakfast! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I had a similar idea...The only real thing i could think of with raisins in were biscuits and raisin bread. Thought id give a biscuit type wash a go. Was thinking raisins, oats, brown sugar and raw sugar. Thought i could then spice it with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla after if it tasted alright. Just not sure how to get a buttery taste into it.

hmm grappa was really not what i was after for these....not a big fan, but ah well they were free.
timebomb

equipment: 2" boka, 2" keg pot, stove top pot

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Do raisins contain sulphides in the form of preservative? :? May need to calculate that in when working out an appropriate recipe.. But a raisin brandy sounds very interesting to me!!
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Return to Fruit & Vegies