Mullberry

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Mullberry

Postby APLF » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi guys anyone made any vodka/liquers with mulberries, I have a heap at the moment and was thinking of trying it out. If you have I would be interested in ratio's etc. mulberries g to ml alcohol.
Thankyou
APLF

equipment: 50lt SS boiler with reflux and pot attachments

Re: Mullberry

Postby Geeps » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:15 pm

G'day APLF,

Have a look in the flavored Vodka section (page 4 i think) as Milky has done some of this maybe give him a PM for a bit of advice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:38 pm

I'd be searching for a mullberry wine recipe and distilling that. There are a shitload around at the moment and it'd be sad to see them drop to the ground when they can make booze!

Guys have macerated them but if you have a huge supply then blend em up, adjust ph add some yeast and let her go.

I have read they are a bit low in fermentable sugars but you can always strain the wash (before adding yeast) and check the hydrometer for a good indication.

Let us know how it goes mate, not all of us are lucky enough to have a bounty of fresh fruit to experiment with
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Hava » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:34 am

If you have some spare cash, try to get your hands on a good cold press juicer and start juicing. Test the sugar content and add extra if needed, add a fruit tolerant yeast, ferment and let it stettle for 6 -12 months (let the solids drop).

If you end up with a drinkable mulberry wine, its good to go for a mulberry brandy, if it doesn't get drunk before hand.
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Postby APLF » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:05 am

Cool thanks guys,
I have put 4 bowls full in a large jar with 90% alcohol and am letting it sit for a bit and have just bought some stevia and am going through recipes and tips etc to work out how to proceed at making a tincture/liquer out of it.
APLF

Postby APLF » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Well I followed Doc's suggestion and have about 3L of mullberry vodka (with stevia added) and it has turned out quite nice, Attached is small jar with mixture. Just waiting on Doc's advice for final touches.
A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
APLF

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:01 pm

I'm gonna get some next weekend and try out a wash with them. Mullberry schnapps I'm aiming for.

That's some nice colour you got there mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:27 pm

Got a massive tree of em ready here, after last seasons failures with them the birds can have the lot :puke-huge:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Oh that's not good news to me.

What did you do mac?

I'm planning on 25kg smashed mullberry and topping with sugar (maybe) then pitching EC1118.

I just want to avoid a known shocker
Urrazeb

Postby Woodsy71 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:06 pm

APLF wrote:Well I followed Doc's suggestion and have about 3L of mullberry vodka (with stevia added) and it has turned out quite nice, Attached is small jar with mixture. Just waiting on Doc's advice for final touches.
A

Good stuff Mate,

I hope it all goes well :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I too have access to a fully loaded tree, so i will be watching your results with interest :smile:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby APLF » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:17 pm

That's no good Mac, this batch has turned out alright. And you can never have too many mulberries if you ask me.
Urrazeb 25kg that is some load of mulberries let me know how you go.
APLF

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:21 pm

I ate too many and shit black seeds for a week :violence-smack:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:55 pm

Ok picking up some mulberries tomorrow, got the kids, old clothes and some plastic sheet.

The chest freezer is switched on and I hope to have a straight mulberry wash down within two weeks.

Plan is mulberries blended to fill 15-20lt water to fill to 25°C, adjust ph, some nutrients (vit b/epsom) and EC1118

Any thoughts on this? I have never done an all fruit wash :?

I'd like to do a completely straight mashed mullberry and yeast only wash but thought I'd hit up the brains trust before potentially ruining so much fruit
Urrazeb

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Got 10kg of berries today :dance:

berries.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Urrazeb

Postby APLF » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:37 pm

Very nIce mate, keep a record of S.G., how many mulberry kilo's, and water added mate for our future research LOL. From the information I have found it is only 80grams of sugar per Kg of mulberries so that isnt much for a fuel source and you might have to add sugar to make the alcohol. Keep us posted how you go
APLF

Postby Linny » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:02 am

Just did a litre of this today ,,, didnt actually read docs post first LOL :angry-banghead: ... i just cut the stems off and added them to 65% neutral... will have to go down to the shops today and get some stevia
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Chief » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Giving this a run.
Just put down a 60L wash with 10L rip fruit, boiled with 2 teaspoons of citric acid. Added to 10 kg white sugar, 1 teaspoon Epsom salts and 1 teaspoon DAP.

Mixed the shit out of the fruit and sugar with boiled water to dissolve after fruit mix was boiled for 30 min. All added to fermenter and filled to level. Pitched 100g lowans at 32 dec C. Was going to use ec1118 but wanted a faster ferment. Will see how it goes.
Going to run it with 4 plates and no packed section round a week after it stops fermenting to let it clear a bit.
Chief

equipment: 4 inch bubbler

Postby Kenster » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Urra, if u plan to distill the wash (obviously) dont expect the flavours to carry over much. I think you may be dissapointed as pretty much all the different fruits ,and there are many, that i have distilled over the past 40 odd years has lead to a pretty much grappa taste. With only a slight variation to taste, certainly nothing like the major component. I think the trick is to steep the fruit in the clean ethanol as was done with the original poster (sorry missed name).
Maybe in the past i have taken it off a bit too fast but i dont think that is the reason. I think i read somewhere that fruit washes produce a LOT more congeners and off flavours than simple sugar washes.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:48 pm

Kenster wrote:Urra, if u plan to distill the wash (obviously) dont expect the flavours to carry over much. I think you may be dissapointed as pretty much all the different fruits ,and there are many, that i have distilled over the past 40 odd years has lead to a pretty much grappa taste. With only a slight variation to taste, certainly nothing like the major component. I think the trick is to steep the fruit in the clean ethanol as was done with the original poster (sorry missed name).
Maybe in the past i have taken it off a bit too fast but i dont think that is the reason. I think i read somewhere that fruit washes produce a LOT more congeners and off flavours than simple sugar washes.

Im no expert when it comes to fruit, I have only done a couple so far, single runs through a bubbler gives very good results. Lots of flavour comes thru :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Kenster » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Tas,would be interested in your results...ie... what type of fruit/s have u used and what flav loss did u encounter if any. I have a bumper crop coming up this season so, even though i have made some garbage in the past, i would like to be able to retain the nice flavours. Running a 3'' copper pot into a very efficient leibig.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegies