The G Dropper Discussion

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

The G Dropper Discussion

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi all, so I made up my first Panty Dropper, and I'm not overly impressed. I was expecting a strong, sweet strawberry flavor to come thru, but instead it's more like a weak strawberry wine.
Here's what I did:
2 x 500mL Masonry Jars filled with a punnet of strawberries each.
Filled to the brim with 95% and left in Window for 5 days, shaking 2-3 times a day.
Filtered out the 95% after the 5 days, and sprinkled 3 tablespoons of sugar in each jar, then shook. Shaked twice a day, and collected the syrup every day. (Replaced with more sugar after collection).
After 4 syrup collections, I filtered both the 95% and the sugar syrup through a coffee filter, all into the one jar. Added 1.35L of water and shook her up.
Poured the first taste just with ice. Quite strong in alcohol texture, but bland in sweetness.
Threw in some lemonade, and it's drinkable, but I don't think it's enough to make the wife's panties drop.
Any clue on where I went wrong, or, if I can fix it?
Cheers CRB

You can find the Tried and Proven recipe HERE
CaptainRedBeard
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 am
Location: Central Coast, NSW
equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Ive made this before with some neutral i was gifted and it was anything but weak on flavour. However i just left the strawberries in there and never filtered it off. Everytime you want a drink just shake the watered down bottle. This stuff was real good as it didnt last very long with my mrs around :laughing-rolling:
whiskeyshiner
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:14 pm
Location: Wheatbelt W.A.
equipment: 2 Inch Pot

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:19 pm

whiskeyshiner wrote:Ive made this before with some neutral i was gifted and it was anything but weak on flavour however i just left the strawberries in there and never filtered it off everytime you want a drink just shake the watered down bottle this stuff was real good as it didnt last very long with my mrs around :laughing-rolling:

Did you use 95%? Add sugar? I really want a good strawberry one with out cordial or essence.
I'm thinking of boiling the left over strawberries and adding more sugar to get more flavor out.
CaptainRedBeard
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 am
Location: Central Coast, NSW
equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby Muppet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:20 pm

I make a version of this reguarly, never had a fail. Never tried it at 95% tho. I usually use around 55% neutral.
I completly fill a glass jar with strawberry's then cover with 55%, 5 or 6 days just giving it a shake at night then strain alc into a separate jar. Half a handfull of sugar sprinkled on top (basicly till they are covered white) then moved them around and the syrup forms (usually the next day), drain off syrup to a another separate jar and repeat.
Then ill use the original 55% and flavor with the syrup. A little lemon juice helps keep the colour. As far as proofing its trial and error for me, I will have to check my notes.
Muppet
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: WA
equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Also i think i used some lemons helps with something. Cant remember what. I didnt use any sugar either it was sweet enough with just the strawberries. The mrs had no troblem drinking it straight also EDIT was a long time ago but i know it wasnt 95 i think i either used 80% or 65%,cant remember mate the neutral definately was about 80% when i got cant remember if i water down for the initial soaking though
whiskeyshiner
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:14 pm
Location: Wheatbelt W.A.
equipment: 2 Inch Pot

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby Muppet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:37 pm

CaptainRedBeard wrote:
whiskeyshiner wrote:Ive made this before with some neutral i was gifted and it was anything but weak on flavour however i just left the strawberries in there and never filtered it off everytime you want a drink just shake the watered down bottle this stuff was real good as it didnt last very long with my mrs around :laughing-rolling:

Did you use 95%? Add sugar? I really want a good strawberry one with out cordial or essence.
I'm thinking of boiling the left over strawberries and adding more sugar to get more flavor out.

Just add sugar mate, I've repeated that process 5 or 6 times an still get good syrup.
Image
The far right jar was an experiment to see how far they can be taken... I wouldn't reccomend going this far :laughing-rolling:
Edit: These jars started off full. I half them and remove the stems.
Muppet
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: WA
equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:43 pm

I've made up 200g+100mL of sugar/water mix. I'll wait for it to cool, then just slowly mix and taste until I get it right.
Next time I'll try again, with a lower abv. The sugar/syrup mix original worked well, but the flavor didn't transfer well. Maybe using a higher abv. Forced the flavor out :think:
CaptainRedBeard
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 am
Location: Central Coast, NSW
equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Okay so I added the sugar mix, and it's sweetened it up pretty well, but the strawberry flavor is just a low wine taste. The missus said she'll drink it, but it's not as good as it should have been.
Trial and errors I suppose. Time to try again.
CaptainRedBeard
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 am
Location: Central Coast, NSW
equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby Muppet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:39 pm

CaptainRedBeard wrote:Okay so I added the sugar mix, and it's sweetened it up pretty well, but the strawberry flavor is just a low wine taste. The missus said she'll drink it, but it's not as good as it should have been.
Trial and errors I suppose. Time to try again.

On a second read I'm now thinking the issue is the 95% took on the flavor and then diluted it to proof. Thats a shame because a bit of work goes into it. Next one we do I will take a few pics and post a short story.
Muppet
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: WA
equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Muppet wrote:
CaptainRedBeard wrote:Okay so I added the sugar mix, and it's sweetened it up pretty well, but the strawberry flavor is just a low wine taste. The missus said she'll drink it, but it's not as good as it should have been.
Trial and errors I suppose. Time to try again.

On a second read I'm now thinking the issue is the 95% took on the flavor and then diluted it to proof. Thats a shame because a bit of work goes into it. Next one we do I will take a few pics and post a short story.

I think your right. I should have diluted first (55) not after all the fun happened. Not too much of a hassle because I know it will still get drunk, just disappointing that I screwed up. I made limoncello at the same time, and that uses 95%, so I thought I could carry over the same concept to this... everything's better in hindsight.
Plus, I think the quantity of water needed to dilute to 40% would have watered down the flavor dramatically. So that's where I think I failed.

Using a higher proof forced me to use more water, which in turn diluted the flavor. :handgestures-thumbdown:
CaptainRedBeard
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 am
Location: Central Coast, NSW
equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby bayshine » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Just start off at 60 abv for about a week then drain and add about an inch of sugar on the berries but don't shake it , just let it dissolve on its own(bout 4days) then drain and add it the first batch
Repeat til berries are deflated :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine
 
Posts: 851
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Turquoise coast dubbya aye
equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:04 pm

bayshine wrote:Just start off at 60 abv for about a week then drain and add about an inch of sugar on the berries but don't shake it , just let it dissolve on its own(bout 4days) then drain and add it the first batch
Repeat til berries are deflated :handgestures-thumbupleft:


The SPD you brought round that WABS night was special mate, I hope you come again but could you bring 2 bottles please :D
MacStill
Site Founder
 
Posts: 16832
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Wide Bay QLD
equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby bayshine » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Cheers mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: I have to get some more on lol
I forgot mention that you need to freeze the berries first as this breaks down the cells and really gets the flavours out and the juices flowing ;-)
It's one drink that you can't even buy but truly derserves a spot in the t&p section :dance:
bayshine
 
Posts: 851
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Turquoise coast dubbya aye
equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:00 pm

bayshine wrote:Cheers mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: I have to get some more on lol
I forgot mention that you need to freeze the berries first as this breaks down the cells and really gets the flavours out and the juices flowing ;-)
It's one drink that you can't even buy but truly derserves a spot in the t&p section :dance:


As long as its called strawberry knicker dropper mate my mrs always reminds me that aussie girls dont where pantys and pantys are seppo BS :laughing-rolling:
whiskeyshiner
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:14 pm
Location: Wheatbelt W.A.
equipment: 2 Inch Pot

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:01 pm

whiskeyshiner wrote:
aussie girls dont where pantys


:text-+1: :text-lol:
Sam.
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9371
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: South Oz Straya
equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
2 x 18 Gal boilers
Italian Spiral burner with HP reg.

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Sam. wrote:
whiskeyshiner wrote:
aussie girls dont where pantys


:text-+1: :text-lol:


:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: nice one mate
whiskeyshiner
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:14 pm
Location: Wheatbelt W.A.
equipment: 2 Inch Pot

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:16 pm

whiskeyshiner wrote:
Sam. wrote:
whiskeyshiner wrote:
aussie girls dont where pantys


:text-+1: :text-lol:


:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: nice one mate


Should it be renamed to the G remover ?

:))
MacStill
Site Founder
 
Posts: 16832
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Wide Bay QLD
equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:19 pm

MacStill wrote:
whiskeyshiner wrote:
Sam. wrote:
whiskeyshiner wrote:
aussie girls dont where pantys


:text-+1: :text-lol:


:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: nice one mate


Should it be renamed to the G remover ?

:))


I like it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The yanks wouldn't know what the fuck we were on about :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9371
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: South Oz Straya
equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
2 x 18 Gal boilers
Italian Spiral burner with HP reg.

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby bayshine » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:20 pm

The Strawberry G dropper :laughing-rolling:
bayshine
 
Posts: 851
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Turquoise coast dubbya aye
equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler

Re: Strawberry Panty Dropper

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:22 pm

SGD sounds good to me, but admin will have to approve it before a simple mod like me can change that :teasing-neener:

And I do agree it should be in tried & proven, certainly worked here :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Site Founder
 
Posts: 16832
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Wide Bay QLD
equipment: Anything I choose :P

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegies



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron

x