Mango Wash

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Mango Wash

Postby Darwin award » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:34 pm

Yeah, read that,I was llooking at some kind of legit buisness using 2nd grade mangoes up in the territory, but to be honest, I'm now thinking of a rhum Agricole ATM with sugarcane juice...but I'll keep playing with the mangoes, there's something like 20 or 30 esters that give the mango flavour and preserving or getting them to carry through is the trick, getting the mangoes right on being ripe but not rotten really matters with the sugar content too, else wise you're just adding sugar for the fermentables and hopping for some kind of carry through...that's OK, but for me, if I'm going to be trying to sell it legit, it's not good enough....so, more work needed....might go sip some and think about it.. :-D
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Chief » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:00 pm

There is a winery over east where i am that make a mango wine. Im told it is real nice. Bit of a difference to stilling it but woukd b interesting to know how they go with converting the sugars in the fruit. Havnt looked myself yet but may be worth checking there web site for clues. Search golden drop winery mareeba and see what you can dig up.
I have made infusions before from flesh i had frozzen. Was a nice carry of flavor. Just soaked drsined and diluted. Didnt go the g dropper approach.
Im tryinh to get a decent yield with flavor from my wash hence the amount of sugar added. Not sure how it will go. Think the skins in the wash is the key for best flavor from what i read. Was too late when i put the waxh down this last time as skins were rotting in the garden by the time i put it down
Chief

equipment: 4 inch bubbler

Postby Darwin award » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:01 pm

diluted to 40.... :wtf:
yeah, it's going on oak.

better luck next mango season.
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby phir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:26 pm

thought i'd update....there's no trial without error :D
ran a ferment through the pot still (pulp issues as well while fermenting) and got sweetfuckall. it was pumping out vapour and not much else. i still have the ferments sitting because i've been slack to through them out but i reckon the way to go is just to add the fruit to neutral 94%, let it extract favour and then water it down.
i wish, now, that i didn't turn a massive amount of lychee into a 120l barrel of ferment and had just dried them like i usually do. next year will have heaps of drying.
phir3

equipment: pot still
t500
keen

Postby wedwards » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:06 pm

For any kind of fruit infused spirit I usually turn to the river cottage booze book. It has a section on making liqueurs, just take the basic approach and do the same with mangoes. A mate of mine uses their approach to do all sorts of sweetened fruit concoctions that taste pretty darn good. I tend to find I end up with a much nicer product by using the fruit at the end, rather than in the wash, as too much flavour is lost unless the fruit has heaps of juice and a nice strong flavour. Mango liqueur is insanely good.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby warramungas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:48 pm

Have you thought about using pectinase to try and clear the wash a bit more? Not sure how it will go with mangoes though.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi all,

I’ve read through this thread which inspired me to try mango washes.

Per 30 litre wash:
2 kg sugar dissolved into hotwater.
10 mangoes with their fruit cut up into pieces and including their skins and seeds intact to 30 litres volume tap water.
4 limes pureed (with skins and all) for pH down (I use citrus in every wash, even for UJSM).
I ran two of these fermentation vessels (FV) for a total of 60 litres of wash.
I used 1 packet of Vinters Harvest Yeast SN9 to each FV and it took almost 3 weeks to ferment at 22C to 26C. I gave the FVs a stir each day.

After fermentation i.e. the wash no longer tasting sweet but instead tasting sour from alcohol, there was still a good deal of fruit material and seeds both floating and as a sediment in the FVs.

I siphoned the FV wash to a clean 20 litre bucket lined with a 190 micron water bag. To collect the remaining wash alcohol in the fruit sludge I poured in 10 liters of tap water and repeated the siphoning. I ended up with near 40 liters for my first strip to my 50 liter boiler. This was repeated on the second FV and the combined strips were distilled twice again removing foreshots (as bbq lighter) and heads for feints which are collected to make into vodka by judicious cuts when I accrue enough.

The still is a pda-1 with a double extension with copper packing, and I also have copper packing sitting loose in the boiler where it’s definitely working as it has gone black over time having trapped sulphur compounds. A word of warning here: do not have copper packing loose in the boiler if running backset washes like UJSM or the high acidity will cause copper carbonate forming! Only ever use on distillate not wash so between runs fish it out then run the wash. Found out the hard way earlier in the year.

The result:
The use of a 190 micron water bag to catch mango fruit material before going into the boiler is a must so burnt off-flavours are avoided. I know the wash was clean even though it still looked cloudy as an inspection of the internal boiler base after the strip run showed no material burnt. If I were to approach this like I do my beer brewing then a week in a refrigerator to cold crash the yeast suspension would have cleared the wash to a white wine, but I don't think that's necessary.

The complete third distilled result was a clean, floral and slightly grassy bouquet, and definitely mango tasting schnapps, for a total of 6 liters of watered down 42% abv spirit. I have bottled and frozen the spirit to preserve the flavours from light and heat. I will repeat this with rockmellon (using the 190 micron bag) as they’re getting close to season and will be cheap to buy.

I definitely recommend using a bag and be judicious in cuts. Recycle to a feints run down the track.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark

equipment: pda-1 w/ext
15 gal ss boiler

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:31 pm

I forgot to add one ingredient I used - 150 grams weetbix to each FV.
Helps add some smoothness to the final product and some food to the yeast, though the SN9 packs do come with some already.
Mark

15 gal ss boiler

Postby EziTasting » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:30 pm

Very interesting read, Mark.
Had hoped to be doing something with the mangoes from our tree but it's recovering from my brutal attack2 years ago and has only produced 20 odd mangoes (which were promptly eaten!). Hoping for a better season next year (used to get 3/400 each year!)...

Talking to an old guy from Germany, while not familiar with mangoes, he recons they press and he fruit to get the juice to drink and then ferment the pulp with water and some sugar to make Schnaps... I wonder if that can be done with mangoes?!?!?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks EziTasting

A correction to my post. I used 4 kg sugar per 30 litre FV. Lol @ my instructions. Using 2 kg of suger per 30 litre per FV would be a SFA alc result.

>>>Had hoped to be doing something with the mangoes from our tree but it's recovering from my brutal attack2 years ago and has only produced 20 odd mangoes (which were promptly eaten!). Hoping for a better season next year (used to get 3/400 each year!)...

It's a bummer watching fruit potential just vanish. I was hoping to collect a couple of buckets of loquot fruits for fermenting, but the fruit bats and brushtail possums robbed 'em as they ripened.

>>>Talking to an old guy from Germany, while not familiar with mangoes, he recons they press and he fruit to get the juice to drink and then ferment the pulp with water and some sugar to make Schnaps... I wonder if that can be done with mangoes?!?!?

Absolutely. Just remove as much of the fruit/sludge from the wash before going to the boiler to be stripped to avoid burnt tastes.
Mark

15 gal ss boiler

Postby Grovebrewery » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 pm

home_brewer wrote:if your in Brisbane you can buy frozen mango puree from bw wholesale foods at lytton its fairly cheap I use it in a mango lager

Hey home brewer, Mate have you got a recipe to make that mango beer? i have started drinking the Mango flavor Summer beer and really enjoy it. i want to build a keg setup soon and would love a way to make something similar. A starting recipe or ideas would be great thanks mate.
Grovebrewery

equipment: pot still reflux still.

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Grovebrewery wrote:
home_brewer wrote:if your in Brisbane you can buy frozen mango puree from bw wholesale foods at lytton its fairly cheap I use it in a mango lager

Hey home brewer, Mate have you got a recipe to make that mango beer? i have started drinking the Mango flavor Summer beer and really enjoy it. i want to build a keg setup soon and would love a way to make something similar. A starting recipe or ideas would be great thanks mate.

How about a post in the welcome centre mate to tell us what your about and what you want to achieve here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Grovebrewery » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:26 pm

Sam. wrote:
Grovebrewery wrote:

How about a post in the welcome centre mate to tell us what your about and what you want to achieve here :handgestures-thumbupleft:

same as everyone else here mate. learn about brewing some beers and looking at broadening my knowledge on better ways to make shine. what is the post your referring to for?
Grovebrewery

equipment: pot still reflux still.

Postby Professor Green » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:39 pm

That'd be the obligatory post to introduce yourself to the locals Grovebrewery. It usually contains a little about yourself, your still if you have one and what you like to make with it or, if you;re just starting out, what you like to drink and are hoping to make.

It's one of the few rules imposed here and generally considered to be common courtesy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:03 pm

Grovebrewery wrote:
Sam. wrote:
Grovebrewery wrote:

same as everyone else here mate. learn about brewing some beers and looking at broadening my knowledge on better ways to make shine. what is the post your referring to for?

I moved one of your posts to the welcome centre for you here
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegies