Cherry Brandy

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Cherry Brandy

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:10 pm

Kenster wrote:Maddog... i grow cherries (and other stone fruit) not far from you...they are a wonderful fruit. The pits(stones) should be removed from any stone fruit as they may impart an 'almondy' flavour and skew the intended aromas... these have a compound called amygdalin...which breaks down to hydrogen cyanide..not real good for you.They should definitely be removed prior to stillin.
All us old wogs (joke)remove the pits from plums, apricots,peaches and nectarines prior to making up a mash.

Thanks for the info Ken, I'll keep that in mind. And I might have to hit you up for some cherries next season. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I just pored my self a nip of this and added a touch of water to get it back to some where near 40%. It's certainly improved out of the bloody ball park, and quite pleasant to sip. Harshness is all but gone. However I'm not sure I'd say I'm in love with it. Half the problem is I have no idea what the flavour should be like. I'll give it another 6 months haha.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby WTDist » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 pm

maddogpearse wrote:
Kenster wrote:Maddog... i grow cherries (and other stone fruit) not far from you...they are a wonderful fruit. The pits(stones) should be removed from any stone fruit as they may impart an 'almondy' flavour and skew the intended aromas... these have a compound called amygdalin...which breaks down to hydrogen cyanide..not real good for you.They should definitely be removed prior to stillin.
All us old wogs (joke)remove the pits from plums, apricots,peaches and nectarines prior to making up a mash.

Thanks for the info Ken, I'll keep that in mind. And I might have to hit you up for some cherries next season. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I just pored my self a nip of this and added a touch of water to get it back to some where near 40%. It's certainly improved out of the bloody ball park, and quite pleasant to sip. Harshness is all but gone. However I'm not sure I'd say I'm in love with it. Half the problem is I have no idea what the flavour should be like. I'll give it another 6 months haha.

Best thing to do is time, time and airing. let some anges have their share and the oak do its job. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:27 pm

I hope u got some not on oak? More like a schnaps or palinka. I think the oak takes over the flavor and not for the better....
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby maddogpearse » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:08 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:I hope u got some not on oak? More like a schnaps or palinka. I think the oak takes over the flavor and not for the better....

Hmmmmm. Nah, it's all in together I think.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC

Postby Darwin award » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:03 am

maddogpearse wrote:
Wobblyboot wrote:I hope u got some not on oak? More like a schnaps or palinka. I think the oak takes over the flavor and not for the better....

Hmmmmm. Nah, it's all in together I think.

Been watching this with some interest, not that I can bget cheap cherries in Darwin.....What I can get is cheap mangoes;
I made some Mango---um...stuff following a similar process, I chucked out the seeds as well as the peels, to find out later, I should have kept the peels in, it tasted pretty rank off the still so I did the same thing with oak, American...left it for 5-6 months and now I have this weird whiskey-ish stuff...not unpleasant, but you'd need to told there was mangoes in there to taste em.....so yeah, watch the oak.
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Iv made mango a couple times, oaked it 1st time but prefer unoaked. Also done bananas, pear, peach and few apples, not gunna oak any of it. Unoaked the mango is easily recognisable.
Wobblyboot

Postby Darwin award » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:23 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:Iv made mango a couple times, oaked it 1st time but prefer unoaked. Also done bananas, pear, peach and few apples, not gunna oak any of it. Unoaked the mango is easily recognisable.

you obviously did a better job than me although my unoaked mango was easily recognizable...I recognized it as unpalatable filth :laughing-rolling:
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:03 pm

I take out the seeds and rest goes in on all fruit. Use ec1118, I use pectinase but that's up to the individual, strip and spirit for pot has been good, only done 1 batch of apples with bubbler so will b while before I try it but smells good so far :cool:
Wobblyboot

Postby Kenster » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:58 pm

Wobbly, where do u source yr pectinase n what quantities do u suggest.Do u put it in the wash or with the cook?
I have a heap of fruit trees which should go great this season but past efforts have all come our a bit too 'grappa ish', i did put this down to too much pectin in some fruits and the off flavours they create. Was a bit nervous about the up coming year but you have inspired me somewhat...
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:01 pm

Kenster wrote:Wobbly, where do u source yr pectinase n what quantities do u suggest.Do u put it in the wash or with the cook?
I have a heap of fruit trees which should go great this season but past efforts have all come our a bit too 'grappa ish', i did put this down to too much pectin in some fruits and the off flavours they create. Was a bit nervous about the up coming year but you have inspired me somewhat...

I got mine from a Melb home brew shop, but I'd have a look here winequip has lots of good stuff. http://winequip.com.au/wp-content/uploa ... _Jul08.pdf
It goes in before yeast. And have read of this, http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=48526
I think it will help u.
Wobblyboot

Postby maddogpearse » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Well gents, you'll be pleased to know, after 12 months on oak (10g/l American oak dominos) this is quite unexpectedly and delightfully pleasant.
At cask strength, there are strong notes of butterscotch and toffee down low, and more vanilla and lemoney scents higher in the glass.
On the pallet I get confused. It's all a bit to complex for a simple guy like me. But certainly honey and citrus scream out.
All in all, considering I'd all but written it off as a waste of time, I'm over the moon with the result. I added a bit of water which in my opinion ruined it, so it's destined to be bottled as is. It went in at 66% but not sure what it is now.
Lovely neat, but also tried some with coke which really brought out the vanilla and the missus said it tasted awesome!
Anyway, if you get your hands on some cherries, I can highly recommend this. Would go particularly well with a cigar and some philosophical mates!
maddogpearse

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Hey maddog what was your original volume 30l? Will give this a go when i can get some cherries..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Kenster » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:40 pm

MD.. did u get any probs with too much alkaline... i did one recently and just could not for the life of me get the acidity up... it kind of stalled..SG was shit and a way to go yet... i still have the wash which is quite alkaline /not acidic enough (cant remember the numbers) and didnt want to ditch it...has been "clearing' for about a month.. suggestions?
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)

Postby EziTasting » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Couldn't you add lemon juice?

Might have to do a lot ... but it's fruit, right!?!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:06 am

Ken I don't understand? Cherries are naturally acidic. Around 3.5 - 4.2 or something I reckon, and a wash should increase in acid as it works. Usually people have issues the other way...
but I got no idea dude. I don't put much thought into ph unless I'm doing multiple gens.
And bluc yeah it was around that 25l mark I reckon. I wouldn't add as much sugar next time, aim for a bit lower abv I reckon.
maddogpearse

Postby Kenster » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:57 pm

MD...thx... i have never had the prob before and i have done a heap of fruit washes..added heaps of citric acid, given that it is a 60it wash, may be not enough.
Waiting for an accurate PH meter to come in the mail...any day now...it aint got me beat yet.
Kenster

Postby bluc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Cheers thanks md :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegies