Cherry Brandy

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Cherry Brandy

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:42 pm

So i was driving through a part of the world that grows a lot of cherries yesterday and all the side stalls advertising fresh cherries got the best of me. I pulled up and bought a 5kg box. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
IMG_20151201_213842.jpg

I got them back home and pulled all the stems off. Bit of a sticky job, but didn't take too long.
IMG_20151202_092510.jpg

While I was doing that, my stove was busily inverting 5kg of sugar for me. cheers stove. i also added a few tablespoons of tomato paste and a sprinkle of epsom salts for good measure.
IMG_20151202_090433.jpg

Then i squished the cherries all up with my hands (which was oddly enjoyable) and thought for good measure, i'll hit them with my trusty paint stirrer, but i may have went a bit hard... :angry-banghead:
IMG_20151202_093953.jpg

i went down the local HBS and asked about some EC1118 but the only stuff they had was under a can of lemonade, which was 12 months out of date, so instead I grabbed a packet of SN9 which is a wine yeast that sounds alright. Chucked it on the top at 28 degrees and stirred it in. SG was at 1.08 fingers crossed it's bubbling tomorrow morning. :D

the plan is to run this twice through my pot still, then lightly oak on medium toast french dominoes :)
IMG_20151202_134839.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Re: Cherry Brandy

Postby scythe » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:08 pm

I wonder if freezing them would help them break down, seems to work for berries.
Sounds like it will be a winner tho.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby maddogpearse » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:44 pm

Yeah, I did consider freezing them first. We'll see how this goes.
I grabbed a SG just before I pitched the yeast and left it in the test tube to see how the wild ones would perform. By the looks of it I should have let nature have its way!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Well, one week on and this has been a fun little experiment. it's been bubbling away fairly consistently all week, and hasn't appeared to have slowed much (with the exception of days 2-4 where it was going like a rum ferment on a 35 degree day! i tried to load a video of it fermenting, with small particles of cherry that had blown up into the airlock! looks like someone's shoved the air compressor in the bottom of it! but yeah, i'm a bit computer illiterate.
Because it went so hard early, i expected it would be all over in 4 or 5 days, but apparently not. it's still popping a bubble about every 2-3 seconds. My shed smells amazing.
It's been really interesting tasting this every few days, going from sickly sweet, to what would make a beautiful cherry cider, and now to a fairly shitty tasting, acidic cheap wine. i'm quite excited about running this... i'm going to hate waiting for it to clear...
maddogpearse

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Have u run it thru yet?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby maddogpearse » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:51 am

no i haven't yet, but that's a good point. I was going to give it plenty of time to clear, but if i don't hurry up and do it, i won't get a chance until after the new year. I racked it into another fermenter this morning, FG at 0.990 Eneded up with 23L @ 11.82% ABV. Pretty happy with that result. :dance:
Smells very sweet, but tastes very dry. I quickly sterilized a stubbie and bottled some to keep as a dry sparkling cherry wine!
cherry wine.jpg

all the cherry particles were floating on top of the wine, so after i drained it out of the tap i had about 6" of cap that i was about to scoop into my wheelie bin.
cherry scum.jpg

because it smelt so nice, i thought i'd chuck a kilo of sugar on top and throw 20l of water in. if it's taken off tonight i might whack in a bit more sugar and see if i can extract some more flavor. we'll wait an see.
i'll strip the first one sunday afternoon i think... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
maddogpearse

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:43 am

I see on the homebrew site " Fresh '3rds' Cherries only $1 per kilo (or less with larg " in Victoria
Selling from the farm would seem to have a limited market pity they can not get to the Cities.
wynnum1

Postby maddogpearse » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Yep well ran it. Smells pretty shit, tastes about the same..oh well, guess I'll run it again then oak it and see what happens...
maddogpearse

Postby Sam. » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:57 pm

maddogpearse wrote:Yep well ran it. Smells pretty shit, tastes about the same..oh well, guess I'll run it again then oak it and see what happens...

Not much is great off the still mate, give some a bit of oak and you might be pleasantly surprised :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby maddogpearse » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:12 am

Tipped genII and low wines from gen1 into the boiler and just flicked it on. Fingers crossed :happy-partydance:
maddogpearse

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:58 pm

How did it go?
Wobblyboot

Postby maddogpearse » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

It's only been on oak 10 days. Ask me in 6 months! :D
maddogpearse

Postby xcvator » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:22 pm

I was reading a thread on another forum ( yeah I know, I'm a whore :smile: ) about plum brandy and the poster drained the plum residue spread out over fly wire, when it got to the point it wouldn't drain any more he spread it over a linen towel, rolled it up and wrung it out to get every last bit of juice. Now I know the towel trick works brilliantly coz I do that with clothes when we're travelling and they come out nearly dry :handgestures-thumbupleft: so it's probably worth a try
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:40 pm

I meant how much did u get, what strength, what oak?
Wobblyboot

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 pm

I bought couple of those brew in a bag things. Tip all into spare fermenter, suspend it above for day to drain, let it settle for day or 2 then siphon it off. Worked great with bananas..
Wobblyboot

Postby maddogpearse » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:I meant how much did u get, what strength, what oak?

Oh sorry. About 4L at 66% with 10g/L of medium roast American oak. Would have preferred French but didn't have any. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
maddogpearse

Postby Bosvelk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:34 pm

It's more then 6 months :) turn out any good?
Bosvelk

equipment: Pot still

Postby WTDist » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:00 am

:text-+1:

How harsh were you on cuts, do cherry's produce more methanol like grapes?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:13 am

Bosvelk wrote:It's more then 6 months :) turn out any good?

good question. i'd better go pour myself a glass tonight...
i tried some about 3 months ago, it was lots better. Fairly different flavour to anything i've drunk before. only had it neat, but hadn't decided if i liked it. it still had a bit...whats the word.... "smatch of the fire" in it. i'm hoping it will mellow out a bit...

WTDist wrote::text-+1:

How harsh were you on cuts, do cherry's produce more methanol like grapes?

yeah, cherries have got some pectin so i was a bit of a Natzi on cuts, especially on the heads side.
maddogpearse

Postby Kenster » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Maddog... i grow cherries (and other stone fruit) not far from you...they are a wonderful fruit. The pits(stones) should be removed from any stone fruit as they may impart an 'almondy' flavour and skew the intended aromas... these have a compound called amygdalin...which breaks down to hydrogen cyanide..not real good for you.They should definitely be removed prior to stillin.
All us old wogs (joke)remove the pits from plums, apricots,peaches and nectarines prior to making up a mash.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegies