Apple schnapps

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Apple schnapps

Postby GMan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi all
Going to do a apple schnapps and my question is when doing the mash, do I have to remove the seeds from the apples seeing they contain arsenic in them.
GMan

equipment: Unknown at the moment.

Re: Apple schnapps

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:07 pm

I don't think u have to but i always do, I'd rather not take any chances and with decent apple corer it doesn't add too much time.
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:54 pm

How do you do it?

I've heard that they core the apples, juice them, hydrate the pulp and put yeast on to ferment it. At a guess I believe they'd add sugar, but it'd be interesting to know...!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby TheMechwarrior » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:17 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned mate.
To put into perspective you'd need to consume around 200 seeds in order to get ill, roughly 20 apples worth.

The cyanogenic material will remain in the boiler if you were to have any make it that far. An apple corer is an easy solution for peace of mind for you though.

I'd be more concerned about the heads cut.
When dealing with a fruit mash like apples you're going to generate a LOT more heady waste, expected a much larger heads cut due to Methanol etc.

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby WTDist » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:41 pm

Is that from the skins Mech? Is that from higher pectin?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:56 pm

EziTasting wrote:How do you do it?

I've heard that they core the apples, juice them, hydrate the pulp and put yeast on to ferment it. At a guess I believe they'd add sugar, but it'd be interesting to know...!

I core them, cut them up, hit them with mixing drill, usually add 2 kg of sugar ferment with ec1118, when ready, hit it with mixing drill again to chop up any solids. Becomes a very weak looking apple sauce. That's for 25l,
Wobblyboot

Postby scythe » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:44 am

Yeah the skin contains pectin, you can add pectinaze if you want to as it breaks up the pectin into simple sugars that dont ferment into methanol afaik.

Others have gotten better flavour outcomes by macerating.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby maddogpearse » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:24 am

scythe wrote:Yeah the skin contains pectin, you can add pectinaze if you want to as it breaks up the pectin into simple sugars that dont ferment into methanol afaik.

Others have gotten better flavour outcomes by macerating.

I was under the impression that pectinaze was for clarifying wine and actually increased methanol production.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:31 am

If there are seeds in the apples they would be left behind if you press the apples.
wynnum1

Postby WTDist » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:08 am

Is this pot stilled or run through a bubler?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:08 am

Whatched a video on making cider bloke put them threw a sredder like one of the electric type you would get at bunnings, then put them into a homemade press strained the mixture adjusted gravity with water then pitched the yeast..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby toyoda » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:14 am

bluc wrote:Whatched a video on making cider bloke put them threw a sredder like one of the electric type you would get at bunnings, then put them into a homemade press strained the mixture adjusted gravity with water then pitched the yeast..

Yep, Thats what i do - but I also boil the liquid first to get rid of wild yeast - first 40 litre batch I made I didnt boil and it grew a black mould on top !

Also - there is a thread on here somewhere about using the apple mulch afterwards in a sugar wash !

Toyoda
toyoda

equipment: Home construct

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Did this eventuate? Care to share a recipe? :think:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Bumper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Costco sells apple juice in bulk that makes a great cider if you can't get apples. Should make a good base for schnapps. Never had an infection from them but have had one from home crushed apples. Boil sounds like the go if it doesn't affect ferment able sugars. More flavour complexity from home crush I have found.
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Wondering how many litres of apple juice in a 25l batch. Do you use 25l straight apple juice or water it back?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:49 pm

You can use campden tablets to get rid of wild yeast...
Wobblyboot

Postby Bumper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:You can use campden tablets to get rid of wild yeast...

You can, but I worry about the sulfur coming across. Unless you age it for 12 months before running it. It can also affect subsequent ferment so dosage is important.

bluc wrote:Wondering how many litres of apple juice in a 25l batch. Do you use 25l straight apple juice or water it back?

Straight apple juice here, with 700ml of homemade ribena cordial for both a little flavour, kick and smoothing when I am making cider for kegging, as the cordial has some unfermentables that keep it from being fully dry. I usually use S-04 or US-05 yeast.

It should come out around 7% usually if you let it run right down but take a starting gravity as the juice can vary batch to batch- a little sugar is frowned upon in some circles but small adjustments and a lower temp ferment would make it come out without too much heat I would have thought. Costs a bit to buy the juice (unless you can get a local orchard bulk buy) but damn sight easier than coring, crushing, pressing 80kg of apples. Have done the latter a few times, the graft is worth it, but easy routes sometimes are worth a bit of cash. Yet to run it through a still but on the list of things to do.
Bumper

equipment: ------

Return to Fruit & Vegies