Yay, got my 5 Star Carbon filter - Thanks guys

High performance modular SS304 plated columns and accessories.

Yay, got my 5 Star Carbon filter - Thanks guys

Postby Boomgate » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:33 am

When I wanted a carbon filter that was the right fit for me... I contacted 5 Star and they custom designed this carbon filter for me.

My previous carbon filter was a bit of disaster, it worked ok, but it was cheap and quite impractical in its design. it would leak a bit, and the tap was very hard to control (which is probably the most important part of a carbon filter).

5 star's ultimate carbon filter was too big for me (9 litres is great for others, but waaay to big for me) It would simply take too much carbon to operate, and would take up too much space to hang it..
http://www.5stardistilling.net/ultimate-carbon-filter/

So 5 star designed this for me... It hasnt got an official 5 stars name that I am aware of, so I am calling it my "5 stars elite carbon filter". Because of its practical size I can easy mount it, it uses a good amount of carbon for my requirements, and hell it looks fantastic!
20161101_081142 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Re: Yay, got my 5 Star Carbon filter - Thanks guys

Postby aussiebrewer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:10 am

Is that an SS needle valve for fine tuning? looks interesting. i can visualise the internals.

whats its volume after filling with carbon? im more with the others, 9L isnt enough for me :))
aussiebrewer

equipment: pot still on a 50l keg

Postby Teddysad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:43 am

Out of curiosity what are you making that needs carbon filtering?
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Boomgate » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:41 am

Teddysad wrote:Out of curiosity what are you making that needs carbon filtering?

Im making a neutral from TPW, but I want it to be even more neutral... At this point I oak it to make a faux scotch whiskey (I add a peat smoke flavour), but I am thinking of making gin, so want to get any aditional flavours out before macerating it with organics.
Boomgate

Postby Boomgate » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:42 am

aussiebrewer wrote:Is that an SS needle valve for fine tuning? looks interesting. i can visualise the internals.

whats its volume after filling with carbon? im more with the others, 9L isnt enough for me :))

Contact 5 Star Im sure they can increase the size :)
Boomgate

Postby aussiebrewer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:08 am

Teddysad wrote:Out of curiosity what are you making that needs carbon filtering?

vodka of course :))
aussiebrewer

Postby Teddysad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Just saying that with the right recipe / technique carbon filtering is (IMHO) unnecessary
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby aussiebrewer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:08 pm

True but to polish it up it will need a filter. Makes it that little bit better.

Even a really good wash and the perfect cuts can be improved by filtering.

each to his own i guess. If your wanting to save money than dont filter but if your in it to make good shit then do what is needed to get that good product i say.
aussiebrewer

Postby Boomgate » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:35 pm

aussiebrewer wrote: If your wanting to save money than dont filter but if your in it to make good shit then do what is needed to get that good product i say.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I dont think its a matter of "good" or "bad" so much... It changes the flavour of your neutral... My little still gets me 90~93% ABV, and the flavour is quite enjoyable.... but some of the flavours that come through to my faux scotch are not wanted... filtering helps remove those flavours.
Boomgate

Postby aussiebrewer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:06 pm

your filtering scotch? or refluxing a scotch wash?

or a hint of some flavour comes through that doesnt mix well with the scotch essence you use?
aussiebrewer

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Teddysad wrote:Just saying that with the right recipe / technique carbon filtering is (IMHO) unnecessary

Everyone is different mate, some like their nuetrel that clean it's like drinking water or using it for light subtle flavours.

Others like the majority here are happy with a well cut spirit.

Each to their own, if you want to dig up an argument about filtering v non filtering then try the search function. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:44 pm

aussiebrewer, Boomgate explains how he makes his faux Scotch in the original post :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Flowerpot » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:46 pm

how do these filters work? Is it basically a very long funnel you fill with carbon with a tap at the bottom?
Flowerpot

equipment: bokakob, Krystal the ruff"n"ready pot still/stripper

Postby Boomgate » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Flowerpot wrote:how do these filters work? Is it basically a very long funnel you fill with carbon with a tap at the bottom?

Essentially that sums it up... the important thing is that the liquid passes through the carbon as slowly as possible, so you really need the tap to run really slowly.... Im talking 1 drip per second if you can manage it..
Boomgate

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Flowerpot wrote:how do these filters work? Is it basically a very long funnel you fill with carbon with a tap at the bottom?

Exactly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
When the liquid passes through the very fine pores of the carbon, it traps the knarly molecules that can im part odd flavours.
Thats my understand anyway :-B
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:13 am

What water are you using to dilute and what % do you dilute down to for carbon filtering was looking at trying RO water or try carbon filtered tank water but live in a very polluted area.
wynnum1

Postby Boomgate » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:18 pm

wynnum1 wrote:What water are you using to dilute and what % do you dilute down to for carbon filtering was looking at trying RO water or try carbon filtered tank water but live in a very polluted area.

Tap water, but it is very good condition around here...
Boomgate

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:39 pm

If you're going to the trouble of carbon filtering to remove flavours, id be using bottled spring water for diluting as well ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Boardy62 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:47 pm

image.png
wynnum1 wrote:What water are you using to dilute and what % do you dilute down to for carbon filtering was looking at trying RO water or try carbon filtered tank water but live in a very polluted area.

Most sources say 40% to 50% ABV gives optimum performance, doc has said he does his at 55% up to 95% for his rose gins just remember you will lose some ABV during the process. Also you can renew your carbon by boiling in water for around half an hour then place in trays in an (electric only) oven at 200 degrees until dry again then ready to use. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Return to 5 Star Distilling