"5 Star" News & Updates

High performance modular SS304 plated columns and accessories.

"5 Star" News & Updates

Postby MacStill » Sun May 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Hey guys,

Over the next few weeks I'll be getting in a bunch of new products, so I thought I would share it with you guys, I know it's risky with the unsavoury nature of another supplier but "meh", you lot deserve to know where FSD is heading, and let me assure you all it's not backwards :D .

Early this week I'm expecting a shipment of new custom SS element guards & also 3/4" tri clamp bends and short sections of pipe, the short sections of pipe are the same lengths as the gin baskets & packed sections to keep the parrot at the same level no matter how your still is set up. Also the 90 & 45 3/4" bends so you can attach your parrot when in pot still mode, or you want to run your PC at an angle.

By midweek another 2 FSD rigs will be posted out to customers with the last of the copper parrots I'll be making for these rigs, all future rigs will have SS parrot so you guys with the copper ones hang on to them as they will no longer be available and could possibly end up a collectors item.

Another new product condenser is coming too, it's a 2.5" with 9 x 10mm tubes, the clamp ends are in 2" and 3/4" so they're going to look pretty slick & will probably be the most efficient SS condenser on the market for it's compact size, as well as an assortment of 3" & 4" PC's & of course the 6" & 8" RC's.

This week will see the first FSD 8" rig landing in Australia, with a 6" rig not too far behind, as well as a few more Mac 4's for stock... things are really progressing nicely :D

In a few weeks I'm expecting my first shipment of prefab custom copper bubble caps, with risers & also a custom (never seen B4) downcomer system, all stills sold from this point on will come retro fitted with the new caps & DC's with copper plates. there are also plans to develop a large bubble cap & DC system for the single cap fans but that's a little while off yet.

Another first for FSD is a couple of Mac 4" being sent to international customers straight from the manufacturer, I wasnt aware of what a large audience we have here and was totally unprepared for this so it's been a huge learning curve for me, but now that I know how it's quite easy to do, I have a contact in USA who is sending the gear on for me after a QC check, I will not be offering drop shipping of goods at this time.

More news is the development of a truly custom range of boilers from 60 litres up to 240 litres, with a multitude of fittings, sight glass and a manway that can be sized to your requirements, these are fully polished inside and out with food grade welds, and unlike the cheap nasty ones sold by others sourced from alibooboo these will all have serial numbers and food grade certification to suit the most stringent commercial distilling requirements. I'm still trying to work out prices for these as they will need to be sea freighted with customs declarations etc etc. however it does look like prices will be very competitive.

On top of all this I'm try to (unsuccessfully I might add) build and maintain stock levels as I go, but geez you lot are making that difficult with most everything getting sent on as it arrives, it will get better in time as I can afford to do larger orders more frequently & your patience will be rewarded i promise.

I'm sure i've forgot a few things but I'll keep you all updated as I go along, but I suppose now is as good a time as any to mention the bad news... so here it is.

Basically with FSD taking off the way it is I'm finding less time to be on the tools doing custom copper stills, so from this point I'll be cutting back on the amount of work I take on and pointing people towards others for copper stills, once I get my current build list sorted and catch my breath I'll probably build an occasional rig and advertise it here abouts, but that will be fairly infrequent I imagine.

There's definitely room on our forum for another couple of commercial members to do custom builds, if you think you're good enough & can commit to your customer then send me a PM showing interest and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Mac.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: FSD News & Updates

Postby 1 2many » Sun May 19, 2013 7:37 pm

8" :o thats Mad imagin the output of that rig. wonder how many watts that will use :scared-eek:

But who cares :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Sun May 19, 2013 7:41 pm

I believe the owner has 12kva to plug into it :dance:

Well that's if 52.5kg without coolant in the massive condensers doesnt crush his ol' boiler :pray:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Sun May 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Great news mac :grin::grin:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

FSD News & Updates

Postby wedwards » Sun May 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Far out ... That thing could be seen from space .... I will have my order in early July after I get back from holidays ... Assuming I don't kill the budget. If necessary I will hock off my firstborn for the extra cash
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Kimbo » Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm

I take my hat off to ya Mac :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm so glad to see that its all paying off for ya, I know your prices will be comparative and your customers will be happy :dance: :dance:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

FSD News & Updates

Postby baldoss » Mon May 20, 2013 8:13 pm

Holy fuck I hope we get a photo of that 8" rig, that is apeshit! Glad to hear business is up though!
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby MacStill » Mon May 20, 2013 10:59 pm

I think I need a traction control button on this thing, it's getting crazy...... 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

FSD News & Updates

Postby Dominator » Tue May 21, 2013 6:27 am

MacStill wrote:I think I need a traction control button on this thing, it's getting crazy...... 8-}

What do you expect when your selling quality equipment at great prices with excellent service? If you only made one or two stills a year and added a couple of zeros to the price, they could be sold as art. Haha.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby MacStill » Tue May 21, 2013 8:59 pm

If there's enough interest I can possibly supply perforated plates with a downcomer for well under $20 a plate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

These would be made with 1.5mm holes on a 5mm grid pattern to fit the FSD custom plate seals I'm bringing in.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby blond.chap » Tue May 21, 2013 9:17 pm

MacStill wrote:If there's enough interest I can possibly supply perforated plates with a downcomer for well under $20 a plate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

These would be made with 1.5mm holes on a 5mm grid pattern to fit the FSD custom plate seals I'm bringing in.

Cheers.

Interest (they are copper right?)
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby MacStill » Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 pm

Yes mate, copper perf plates with my soon to be released downcomer system :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

FSD News & Updates

Postby Rumdrinker » Tue May 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Quality copper perf plates at a reasonable price has my interest too. Any chance of 6" plates?
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby MacStill » Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Rumdrinker wrote: Any chance of 6" plates?

Every chance in the world if the demand is high enough :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Wed May 22, 2013 1:40 am

You have my respect Mac. With what I have seen on the market made by other people well they don't have shit on what you are making. The only thing that worries me is if others start to do the same thing. I really like seeing people take something and I might be talking out my rear end eh as I do not know you at all and make something really good from it. I am a metal worker and I love seeing really high quality work and just to let the other readers know that are thinking of buying from Mac well you would be making the right choice. The pic's show all. The pic's that we have seen so far are grate. I could ezly make my own bubbler but I love the look of your mac. I will be getting one of your rigs in the future but its going to be a while before I am ready.
So anofe of blowing wind up Mac's arse and from one metal worker to another I take my hat off. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Postby the Doctor » Wed May 22, 2013 8:05 am

With the 8 inch and 6 inch plated stills you are filling a serious professional need, The craft distillers of Australia have too long been forced to deal with still producers who place profit before people... As a working commercial distiller I welcome your expansion and applaud your having the guts to make a go of it. Bravo.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby MacStill » Wed May 22, 2013 11:11 am

DrunkASAskunk wrote:You have my respect Mac. With what I have seen on the market made by other people well they don't have shit on what you are making. The only thing that worries me is if others start to do the same thing. I really like seeing people take something and I might be talking out my rear end eh as I do not know you at all and make something really good from it. I am a metal worker and I love seeing really high quality work and just to let the other readers know that are thinking of buying from Mac well you would be making the right choice. The pic's show all. The pic's that we have seen so far are grate. I could ezly make my own bubbler but I love the look of your mac. I will be getting one of your rigs in the future but its going to be a while before I am ready.
So anofe of blowing wind up Mac's arse and from one metal worker to another I take my hat off. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers mate, I've had a couple guys in the metal industry check out my gear for an honest appraisal and they've certainly given it the thumbs up.

They've held and inspected FSD & another mobs gear and I dont think I need to really say which one they preferred, it's certainly reassuring to get praise from fitters and machinists when comparing two similar products ;-)

:D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Wed May 22, 2013 11:18 am

the Doctor wrote:With the 8 inch and 6 inch plated stills you are filling a serious professional need, The craft distillers of Australia have too long been forced to deal with still producers who place profit before people... As a working commercial distiller I welcome your expansion and applaud your having the guts to make a go of it. Bravo.
Doc

Thanks Doc, it's certainly not been easy getting to this stage but it is rewarding to see the support FSD gear is getting.

The first 8" rig has landed a couple of days ago, hopefully we'll see some pics of it pretty soon.

I'm pretty excited about the 6" rigs and they just cant get here quick enough, they'll certainly fill a big gap between the hobby and commercial levels with the prices looking to be fairly attractive to both markets, the first one that arrives has a spot prepared and ready for it in my shed so we'll be seeing plenty of info and data from it as I run all my brandy through it :D

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Bushy » Wed May 22, 2013 11:52 am

Might have to come up and buy a gasket that day :smile:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Brendan » Wed May 22, 2013 11:53 am

I'm really looking forward to see the 8" and 6" videos, as well as any data like takeoff rates! :D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Next

Return to 5 Star Distilling