"5 Star" News & Updates

High performance modular SS304 plated columns and accessories.

Re: "5 Star" News & Updates

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:00 pm

You make a good point but I really think Al or Sue need to give you the answer to that.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:25 pm

Onelove wrote:I Feel like it would be disloyal to use the resource that is this forum while purchasing somewhere else.

However after trying a few times by email since April and now hearing of Ill health, don't want to be a PITA either.

If I donate some money to ad and buy what I need from another au seller, would that pass muster?

Was really hoping to buy through five star again but as stated don't want to be a PITA for Mac and Sue.

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but if you want to buy a FSD still and you have sent an email and got no reply yet why not just ring FSD?
I did the very same thing for a fitting so I'm sure you could do the same for a still.

Better off getting what your heart is set on rather than going elsewhere and being not fully happy and regretting that you did not wait. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby timboss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:43 pm

I was going to call, however after hearing of ill health I decided not to be a pain. Sounds like some have been waiting months though, so hopefully we'll get some news soon.
timboss

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer

Postby scythe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:03 am

I would still call, just be prepared to wait for your bits.
Times of bad health often means increased personal costs so a bit more income for them might be more beneficial than problematic.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:52 am

Give them a call mate, the numbers are published on the shop site for a reason!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Onelove » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:00 pm

To be fair I thought I should post that I heard from five star today and that customer service was fantastic as always.

:dance:
Onelove

equipment: nearly a bubbler

Postby Bobsyauncle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:23 am

yeah same, i'd seen the posts so was a bit worried but emailed anyway. I got an answer within 2 working days. I'd say that's pretty good considering... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Postby Mrs Mac » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:36 am

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't answered this post earlier, and thank Sam for posting.

Allan and I have been through an extremely rough trot lately and it got to the point where we even considered shutting down. After many long conversations and sleepless nights we decided that it would not be fair to all you guys who have supported us over the years. So we are still running but in a smaller capacity, especially with stock on hand at this time. Hopefully that will be rectified soon so the wait times are minimal.

I have had this last week off and have been trying to catch up on all the emails and order processing, but please if you have sent and email over 1 or 2 weeks ago and I have not answered please resend and i will get onto it.

Also with me having an outside job and other appointments I can not always answer my phone so please leave a voice message or text me and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Allan is still available to take calls but if you also do not receive and answer from him please contact me.

Well I'll get back to it now and say a big thank you to all of you for your support.

Also I know we are not the only supplier around and if you need it now or they have something that we don't go ahead and purchase from them, just because you don't purchase from us doesn't make you not welcome. I have said it before if you purchase from us that's great and if you don't we are not going to hold it against you. At the end of the day all that matters is you get what you need and are happy with it.

Cheers

Allan & Sue
Mrs Mac
Lifetime Member

equipment: bubble wrap
sticky tape gun
stanley knife

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Great news that you and Allen are OK , it's always concerning when you read the words ill health :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby scythe » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Glad 5SD is sticking around and that you two have come through it.

Mrs Mac wrote:...
Also I know we are not the only supplier around and if you need it now or they have something that we don't go ahead and purchase from them, just because you don't purchase from us doesn't make you not welcome. I have said it before if you purchase from us that's great and if you don't we are not going to hold it against you. At the end of the day all that matters is you get what you need and are happy with it.

Cheers

Allan & Sue

Allan and Sue may not hold it against you but i know i will...
scythe

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Bit harsh scythe :sad: i am sure everyone here has bought something elsewhere or built there own still instead of buying from 5star. Sometimes you just have to. But 5star has always been my first port of call and am sure it always will be... wish you the best sue and mac and hope things work out for you guys and the forum..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Good to hear your staying in business, hope things get better and stay that way :handgestures-thumbupleft: I will make sure my next build is planned better and order well before I need it.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:13 pm

It would be a sad day if we lost FSD,plus the advise from run stratergy to building my thumper to getting the southern cross from plans to completion,I owe them big time ,even helped me ship a boiler and still I made ta Melbourne for my bro,here's hopeing you will continue to set the bench mark for us amature distillers ,because there's nobody else that is up to the task.cheers ta Allan and Sue.hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby ed9362 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 am

I know mr and mrs mac are quite busy. But i think i read a while ago that we could expect a few new products from 5 star.

I really like the idea of a 2 inch bubbler as i dont need the volume a 4 inch would produce. Is this something we might be able to expect from 5 star in the future. I know there are other suppliers for this sort of thing but i would prefer to buy from 5 star if i can.

Cheers,
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby scythe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:02 am

2" would be possible but it doesnt leave alot of room for bubble cap components.
Maybe a 2" perforated plate bubbler could be the way to go.

Nothing stopping you from doing it your self either.
scythe

Postby db1979 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:00 am

My 2" bubbler works fine, it has 1" caps (obviously 1 per plate). It's just slow. I still use it when I need vodka and I only have a small volume of low wines to spirit run. She's very reliable. I doubt FSD would bother making a 2" though. As scythe said maybe make your own. 2" copper is cheap and easy to get. If building is too daunting then maybe save up to buy a 4" bubbler even if it makes more than you need it. If you have a keg boiler with the elements down low you can still run a small volume in it and 4" will give you a really fast run time as opposed to 2". 4" is 4 times faster than 2". I know I'd rather spend 2 hours running my still than 8 hours for the same volume of product.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:51 am

No reason you can't run a 4" bubbler on a 25L boiler, or a 50L boiler with 25L in it...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby EziTasting » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:47 pm

We run a keg boiler with a 4"....
Min volume (to keep our elements covered is 18L.... as an example.

Which translates into 1.8L collected....
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Professor Green » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:No reason you can't run a 4" bubbler on a 25L boiler, or a 50L boiler with 25L in it...

Wouldn't the weight of a 4' column be an issue on a T500 type 25 litre boiler?

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Nino » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Professor Green wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:No reason you can't run a 4" bubbler on a 25L boiler, or a 50L boiler with 25L in it...

Wouldn't the weight of a 4' column be an issue on a T500 type 25 litre boiler?

Cheers,
Prof. Green

I would have thought so to, I used to support my 4" modular pot still when it was on my 30lt boiler because it used to rock so much when it was heating up.
Plus those lids are not very strong.
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Star Distilling