FSD Boiler development chat

High performance modular SS304 plated columns and accessories.

Re: FSD Boiler development chat

Postby pulsetech » Tue May 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Ok No worries.

I have it to pump heated water through an immersion coil for mashing. just though I could go dual purpose :doh:
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby 1 2many » Tue May 20, 2014 7:45 pm

Once thats done I can hook my compressor up to the outlet (parrot removed) and blow dry the sucker

Just make sure you have a good water and oil separator on your compressor or you will fill the still up with yucky shit. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby backyard brewdog » Tue May 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Couldn't you just set your pump up at your bottom draining valve and push it up the top? If you just work out how slowly the solution will fall back into the boiler so you dont run your elements dry?

this way you dont need to add all those fittings to your T's?
backyard brewdog

Postby Dingo Charlie » Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm

More upgrades I'll have to have, keep them coming.....looks awesome! :clap: Just spent a whole heap of time I don't have cleaning this rig down, looks like this will save a heap of time and be more efficient. If you need some Beta testing it won't even be that expensive for you.... :greetings-waveyellow:
Dingo Charlie

equipment: MAC 4" FSD Bubble Plate Still
FSD 4" packed section (full of copper mesh)
50L keg boiler
Twin 2400W Elements with power controller
1000L IBC and Pump

Postby MacStill » Tue May 20, 2014 9:09 pm

backyard brewdog wrote:Couldn't you just set your pump up at your bottom draining valve and push it up the top? If you just work out how slowly the solution will fall back into the boiler so you dont run your elements dry?

this way you dont need to add all those fittings to your T's?

No I'd rather a jet spray in each section, simply flushing from the top hasn't given me the results I want ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Tue May 20, 2014 9:54 pm

IMG_20131226_145241.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 5 o'clock » Wed May 21, 2014 9:23 am

MacStill wrote:This is what I'd like to end up with on my 6" rig, I'll need a weldless solution for mine.... but in future I can just add a 1" or 3/4" ferrule inconspicuously around the back of each tee & the top reducer.

DSC_0317.JPG

What I want to achieve is a clean in place (CIP) recirculating system I can leave on for a night using the boiler and elements as a heat source & storage tank for around 20 to 30 litres of hot recirculating acid wash, then dump the acid for a fresh water flush for a good 5 minutes.

Once thats done I can hook my compressor up to the outlet (parrot removed) and blow dry the sucker :dance:

If you have a cleaning ball between each plate, will you need a ball valve on each one to prevent possible vapour movement through the cleaning pipes during a run?
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby MacStill » Wed May 21, 2014 11:14 am

5 o'clock wrote:
If you have a cleaning ball between each plate, will you need a ball valve on each one to prevent possible vapour movement through the cleaning pipes during a run?

Yes each one will need a valve, I'm investigating some nifty little SS304 inline check valves similar to these & just waiting to confirm the seal materials that are available :handgestures-thumbupleft:

CHECK VALVE.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby hillzabilly » Wed May 21, 2014 12:06 pm

1 2many wrote:
Once thats done I can hook my compressor up to the outlet (parrot removed) and blow dry the sucker

Just make sure you have a good water and oil separator on your compressor or you will fill the still up with yucky shit. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I found useing the wet/dry vacume connected to the drain works a treat at drying out my still,and no probs if there is a little water in the boiler.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby MacStill » Wed May 21, 2014 12:11 pm

I am not taking the Dyson down to the shed :naughty: simply forget that idea :hand:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 5 o'clock » Wed May 21, 2014 1:33 pm

MacStill wrote:I am not taking the Dyson down to the shed :naughty: simply forget that idea :hand:

If we start using a vacuum on our still she will know that we recognise what it is and expect us to use it on the floors as well. I'm trying to avoid that job.
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby APR » Wed May 21, 2014 5:21 pm

5 o'clock wrote:
MacStill wrote:I am not taking the Dyson down to the shed :naughty: simply forget that idea :hand:

If we start using a vacuum on our still she will know that we recognise what it is and expect us to use it on the floors as well. I'm trying to avoid that job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvN8pLdzAS4
APR

equipment: A couple of 2" boka stills with a few different concepts implemented in them.

Postby Sam. » Wed May 21, 2014 5:58 pm

APR wrote:
5 o'clock wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvN8pLdzAS4

Humorous but lets keep this on topic please, this aint in the dunder pit ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Thu May 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Mac, since this topic is covering more than just FSD boilers my question is have you considered/priced copper Tees instead of stainless for bubble cap/site glass sections? Been drooling over copper bling all day.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby MacStill » Thu May 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Yes I've done extensive research into getting copper tees made, even got some prices that were outrageous so didn't bother going any further.

To be honest the only ones I found that would do it at reasonable prices have been proven by experience to be outright thieves, liars & cheats, they sell you one thing and send you another companies gear & designs :angry-banghead:

So for now I'm working on bigger n better gear with honest suppliers :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:24 pm

So here's where I'm at with the weld on boiler cleaning ball

20140609_160054.jpg

This one just needs the 2" ferrule welded in place :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby pulsetech » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Looks good. with my setup cleaning the product condenser is a pain. I have been back flushing it but I get wet when I can't transition from the Hose to the Bucket fast enough.
thinking a ball in a 2 inch tee between the 2 x 2inch bends at the top of the still would work.
What are you thoughts Mac ?
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Looks good Mac so with a 2" ferule I could

1/ clip on a temp gauge
2/ use as a pumped fill port
2/ clip on CIP

That's where I am going

Cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:07 pm

I like it Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:04 am

pulsetech wrote:thinking a ball in a 2 inch tee between the 2 x 2inch bends at the top of the still would work.
What are you thoughts Mac ?

You could do that sure, my thought's are elsewhere but that's the great thing about this gear.... you can adapt it to suit whatever you want. ;-)

maybe you missed this

My main aim at the moment is for larger rigs like 4" & 6" Neutralizers etc. on 100L plus boilers where it takes considerable effort to dismantle and reassemble between runs, the possibilities are endless but I cant possibly cover them all, so instead I've just about come up with everything I need for weldless, weld on & prefab solutions in 2 or 3 different sizes that cover a majority of applications 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Star Distilling