entry level reflux still?

High performance modular SS304 plated columns and accessories.

entry level reflux still?

Postby BIG D » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:35 pm

So I gotta say the question I get asked the most about our hobby is what's a good still to start off with that I don't have to build? And I know the answer but they prioritize differently to me 8-} so how would 2x400mm packed section a 4 to 2 reducer to attach to a keg and an rc and pc if this configuration would work I'd have an answer for them easily upgrade to bubbler later. Now I understand this may not be a perfect setup but at least you can upgrade and not replace, some of you boys with the runs on the board tell me to get back in my box if you like. :laughing-rolling:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Re: entry level reflux still?

Postby TheMechwarrior » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Mate take a look at the vm still 7evan is selling.
800mm of packed section is going to be bloody slow, 1.2 to 1.5m would be nicer for a reflux still.
You can always remove the column and put a bubbler on your boiler later.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby BIG D » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:55 pm

TheMechwarrior wrote:Mate take a look at the vm still 7evan is selling.
800mm of packed section is going toanythingy slow, 1.2 to 1.5m would be nicer for a reflux still.
You can always remove the column and put a bubbler on your boiler later.

I'm all good talking about an off the shelf so to speak item for newbs i wouldn't trade my fsd neutralizer for anything :text-lol: ok all most anything
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:03 pm

I have almost got a VM design ready to go to production, but we're so flat out at the moment all my product development is on hold for the time being until it quietens down a bit.

I've got most of the gear here to put it together, somewhere, but yeah it's just madness here at the moment.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:52 am

In coming weeks we'll now be offering a budget model "double reducer" version of Boka's in 2" & 3" that was so popular back when I was hand crafting stills for customers, I've submitted drawings for production earlier this week.

It'll be modular too :happy-partydance:

Here's a pic of a little one I built a few years back to give you an idea of what the design will end up like, it wont be copper but will have copper packing.

P3241398.jpg

pls dont ask me to build these from copper, it's simply going to be refusal due to time constraints and the ramping up of FSD's Stainless Modular Distilling Systems.

:-B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Id be interested in one of these for my mate who is reading at the moment and will be looking for an easy plug and play entry level still,,nice one mac,will be keeping a look out for this still, :handgestures-thumbupleft: just wondering,why will you only do stainless?would it be cost I spouse?thanks again. :D
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:54 pm

in response to why only SS.

Because I'd need to hand build them myself, copper manufacturing in China for custom gear like this would put us right out of the market price wise.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:03 pm

MacStill wrote:in response to why only SS.

Because I'd need to hand build them myself, copper manufacturing in China for custom gear like this would put us right out of the market price wise.

Roger that mate, :handgestures-thumbupleft: thought it would be something along those lines,,ok cheers again.
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby poompy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:46 pm

hmmm very keen...
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:50 pm

MacStill wrote:In coming weeks we'll now be offering a budget model "double reducer" version of Boka's in 2" & 3" that was so popular back when I was hand crafting stills for customers, I've submitted drawings for production earlier this week.

Here's a pic of a little one I built a few years back to give you an idea of what the design will end up like, it wont be copper but will have copper packing.

P3241398.jpg

pls dont ask me to build these from copper, it's simply going to be refusal due to time constraints and the ramping up of FSD's Stainless Modular Distilling Systems.

I'm very interested about this Mac.. Nearly peed a bit :oops: . Will this be the answer to my height restrictions if i want to make neutral with my blockhead?
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:58 pm

In 3" it may well be just what you need, although they're still going to need around 1200mm of packing to produce azeo at reasonable rates, so keeping that in mind adding a keg, the take off module & condenser housing is going to be a very tall still.

A 2" rig will be slow but can get away with being a little shorter overall, I'll be posting more about these specs in coming days once I get on top of everything at my desk.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:09 pm

MacStill wrote:In 3" it may well be just what you need, although they're still going to need around 1200mm of packing to produce azeo at reasonable rates, so keeping that in mind adding a keg, the take off module & condenser housing is going to be a very tall still.

A 2" rig will be slow but can get away with being a little shorter overall, I'll be posting more about these specs in coming days once I get on top of everything at my desk.

Awesome, I'll keep my good eye open for details. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby BIG D » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:28 pm

Awesome now I have a good answer. :D
BIG D

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:31 pm

BIG D wrote:Awesome now I have a good answer. :D

yeah I know mate, sorry for the elusiveness before but it is reasoned ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby poompy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:59 am

MacStill wrote:In coming weeks we'll now be offering a budget model "double reducer" version of Boka's in 2" & 3" that was so popular back when I was hand crafting stills for customers, I've submitted drawings for production earlier this week.

P3241398.jpg

Hey Mac,

Any news on updates on the double reducer boka?

Cheers mate
poompy

McStill Pot Still

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21 am

Done n dusted, got 10 units on the way :dance:

Just gotta figure pricing once freight and govt. duty is known. but they're going to be well within the realms of HBS rigs :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby poompy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:46 am

MacStill wrote:Done n dusted, got 10 units on the way :dance:

Just gotta figure pricing once freight and govt. duty is known. but they're going to be well within the realms of HBS rigs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Nice. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Like a well oiled machine mate!!
poompy

McStill Pot Still

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:54 am

Gunna change my name to MacFlatMaggot the way this is going, Got VM's coming soon too :-B

8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby poompy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:22 pm

MacStill wrote:Gunna change my name to MacFlatMaggot the way this is going, Got VM's coming soon too :-B

8-}

geez....more options to consider!! how far are they off, the VMs that is?
poompy

McStill Pot Still

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Hopefully only 3 weeks, but could blow out to 4..... just depends on how much other gear I've got ordered.

Thumpers are done too now, just gotta factor the usuals for pricing.

My boiler is on the way too, this thing will knock ya socks off guaranteed :happy-partydance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to 5 Star Distilling