Adding pictures, links and youtube links

A must read category of topics to read by all members prior to posting questions already answered

Adding pictures, links and youtube links

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Please make sure that any You Tube/Photobucket etc account that you use does not contain your real name!

Ok crow had a great idea some one should write up about adding pictures and seems people also could learn other ways to add links, pictures and youtube links

Adding pictures.

Option 1, Use site upload(file needs to be less then 1MB):
In the new post window scroll down to the very bottom there is all the options and a tab that says upload attachment, Click that select browse and navigate to where your picture or file is and click upload simple :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Option 2, Resize, change quality of picture and use site upload:
I use gimp for this, It is a linux program but there is a windows installer out there and for a free program its great, I guess there is other programs that can do this to but I havnt used them. Download Here

Open your file in GIMP, Next if your picture is massive your best bet is to resize it so it fits on the screen nicely, Click on image tab up the top and select scale image. click on width and type in your value (to keep it even click the chain and it will auto change the height) I like 1500 x 845, Then click scale.

Now your picture is scaled to the size you like now got to file, then export, Rename the file if you want to keep the original. Now click export and a box should pop up and say quality, adjust this slider to say 70% and save. Before you close GIMP, Go to the directory you saved the file and hover over it and it should say how big the file size is, If it is over 1MB you may have to take the image quality down some more so just go back to export and click overwrite then change the quality again.

You now should have a file that's re sized and under 1MB for uploading, Follow steps on the option 1.

Option 3, Upload picture to Photobucket and post.:
First make a photobucket account and log in. On the top of the page click upload. From here click browse or you can drag and drop you pictures into the box. Wait for it to upload onto the site, When its finished click on the picture.

Here you get the picture and on the right there is a list of image links. Now you get a few choices here and I will tell you how I do it.

You can click the IMG code this will display a picture like this:

Or you can do the IMG thunb code and it will look like this:

My option is a cross between the 2 as I dont like how the thumbnail one displays all the photobucket crap. So we copy the IMG thumb code, open the forum in a new tab and paste the code there. Now what you do is where it says "[ url=" Delete everything till the]from there. Go back to photobucket and click the direct link. Come back to the forum and paste the link where you deleted the other link. It should look like this:
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Re: Adding pictures, links and youtube links

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Links and youtube

Here I will show you a few ways to post links and youtube videos.

Here is a few ways to do links apart from clicking the URL button.

Links with text

To get a link with just a text showing like bubbler or something you do this.

[ url=Link to the webpage or picture or what ever]type your text here[ /url]

So say we want to link to plated column section it would look like this (with no spaces)
[ url=http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewforum.php?f=36]Bubbler[ /url]

and shows up like this
Bubbler

Youtube link

go to youtube and find the video you want to post. Look in the website bar at the top and it will have youtube/watch v= . Now everything after v= we copy, it should be short text and numbers.

come back to the forum and click the youtube tab in the top of the post a reply box and just paste that text and numbers.

So if I wanted to post the fast and furious 6 trailer it would look like this
[ youtube]p1QgNF6J1h0[ /youtube] and this is what shows up

kelbygreen

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:01 pm

ok here is some more.

I got asked about posting a link to open in a new tab. This is not possible with BBcodes but there is ways around it.

• right click and select open in tab
  • hold control and left click

Ok I will get back into codes for the forum. Seems not all are enabled and I spent a bit of time trying a heap but here is what I found works.

Quotes
You have the quote button and that works but some times you may want to quote a post some one wrote and it wont show there name.

To do this go [ quote="username"]text[ /quote]

So I can go something like this.

[ quote="kelbygreen"]said some crap :teasing-tease: [ /quote]

Look like this
kelbygreen wrote:said some crap :teasing-tease:

Lists
Here I will show you how to make a list.

List with dots.

We put it in like this.
[ list]
[*]first point
[*]second point
[ /list]

It shows up like this.
  • first point
  • second point

List with numbers.

We put it in like this.
[ list=1]
[*]first number
[*]second number
[*]third number
[ /list]

Looks like this.
  1. first number
  2. second number
  3. third number

List with letters.

We put it in like this.
[ list=a]
[*]first letter
[*]second letter
[ /list]

Looks like this.
  1. first letter
  2. second letter

There is stuff like colour codes and font sizes but the default ones have enough of that to put anything up
kelbygreen

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Ok after being on another site I have to produce lots of screenshots I have come across a better site (more anonomus) and easier then photobucket.

Link to site

• Now here you select picture/pictures to upload.
  • Then you need to select content (family safe or adult)
  • Thumbnail size 350x350 resized (keep aspect ratio)
  • Name it if you like (not needed)
  • Upload

Now it will upload and give you some option select BB-Code and copy and use that should be like this

This method also will not resize or alter the raw image you upload. Same image uploaded to PB the blown up image saves at 86kb this it saves at the true 2.1mb :D

Here is the PB one it auto resized and screwed the whole thing up. In the first link click the picture to expand to true size. (only taken on crap phone so quality isnt great)

kelbygreen

Return to Newbies Corner