rumdidlydum control

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: rumdidlydum control

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:55 pm

Meatheadinc wrote:PIDs are great and can be used for many functions. although I have found that they are better for control items rather than heating elements.
EG. For mashing. element is on ( uncontrolled) in a HERMS, the PID controls mash flow and hence mash temp via solenoid/proportional valve, variable speed pump etc. I was thinking of circulating hot water through the mash and the hot water temp regulated. Will that not work?i was looking at linnys build and thought that the boiler could do the work and circulate it.

It is fairly easy to wire an element though the PID with an element only bypass allowing you to have PID controlled element, or element on full functions, if your after a single vessel mash controller and secondary element that may be the go ( depending on the PID you should also have full power control too. probably PWM)
[color=#FF0000]Does the pid not give the element full power if the set temp is miles away from actual temp :think: just trying to work out the process and any flaws. I'll have a look at pwm controllers and coils but they are most likly above my price range.
Much appreciated meat :-D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:05 pm

bluc wrote:Hey rum another dumb question :oops:
that trip switch i linked to couple posts up can they be wired direct or do I have to buy a "caddy" that it slots into that can be wired. It has a din rail profile so thinking i dont need anything else besides a rail to mount to. Just making sure i have everything before i get it all wired up btw im not the one putting it together..

No idea what a caddy is :think: or what you mean by direct. Are you talking about wiring in the rcd to your controller? Glad you are getting help mate i dont want your hose burning down then your missus throwing you out because some bloke on a forum gave you advice on a controller.
But seriously it has to be 100% and get it tested. No shortcuts no she will be right :-B
Good luck buddy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:14 pm

yea the rcd .By caddy i meant like a meter box the trip switchs just click into place dont have to run wire to them. Wondering how you run wire direct to them. just for my own info like i said someone way brighter than me is putting it together just curious and making sure i have the right stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:26 pm

bluc wrote:yea the rcd .By caddy i meant like a meter box the trip switchs just click into place dont have to run wire to them. i have no idea mate i only have the screw terminal ones.Wondering how you run wire direct to them. just for my own info like i said someone way brighter than me is putting it together just curious and making sure i have the right stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:58 am

rumdidlydum wrote:
Meatheadinc wrote:PIDs are great and can be used for many functions. although I have found that they are better for control items rather than heating elements.
EG. For mashing. element is on ( uncontrolled) in a HERMS, the PID controls mash flow and hence mash temp via solenoid/proportional valve, variable speed pump etc. I was thinking of circulating hot water through the mash and the hot water temp regulated. Will that not work?i was looking at linnys build and thought that the boiler could do the work and circulate it.

It is fairly easy to wire an element though the PID with an element only bypass allowing you to have PID controlled element, or element on full functions, if your after a single vessel mash controller and secondary element that may be the go ( depending on the PID you should also have full power control too. probably PWM)
[color=#FF0000]Does the pid not give the element full power if the set temp is miles away from actual temp :think: just trying to work out the process and any flaws. I'll have a look at pwm controllers and coils but they are most likly above my price range.
Much appreciated meat :-D

There is many was to skin a cat. Running water through your mash will work
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Triangle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:54 am

bluc wrote:yea the rcd .By caddy i meant like a meter box the trip switchs just click into place dont have to run wire to them. Wondering how you run wire direct to them. just for my own info like i said someone way brighter than me is putting it together just curious and making sure i have the right stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Me thinks you are asking too many DIY questions....... ;-)

Get your sparky to buy the RCD/CB gear. Firstly the warranty and workmanship falls upon him/wholesaler. If you buy it to save $20 and it shits itself, you pay for the sparky to remove/replace etc. Secondly I would not trust half that electrical garbage that is available online and through bunnings.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby bluc » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Triangle wrote:
bluc wrote:yea the rcd .By caddy i meant like a meter box the trip switchs just click into place dont have to run wire to them. Wondering how you run wire direct to them. just for my own info like i said someone way brighter than me is putting it together just curious and making sure i have the right stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Me thinks you are asking too many DIY questions....... ;-)

Get your sparky to buy the RCD/CB gear. Firstly the warranty and workmanship falls upon him/wholesaler. If you buy it to save $20 and it shits itself, you pay for the sparky to remove/replace etc. Secondly I would not trust half that electrical garbage that is available online and through bunnings.

So dont ask questions and dont worry about how it works and get someone else to do it .. well i guess thats one way to get it done... ;-) personally i would prefer to ask questions know how things work and buy things myself rather than get ripped off blind.. but thats just me and if you had seen earlier I posted that im not putting it together i was told to buy the stuff by a friend and a they will assemble it for me no offence intended just my opinion :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:39 pm

Bluc,

With all due respect you're probably better off starting your own thread instead of derailing this one ;-)

Cheers,

Mac.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bluc » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:43 pm

Ok point taken cheers mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Yahoo finaly got my pid :dance:
I dont even have to mod it . Their is no mechanicle relay :music-deathmetal:
1 down side manual in chinese or something. Ill have to hit up old mate google. :-B
rumdidlydum

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:18 pm

All wired up double checked and power on then trip goe the rcd...
Double checked again tested then triped rcd ffs.
Thanks mad for the easy fix. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Works like a dream holding temp just have to sort out a couple of leaks. Bonus of doing a water run..
I just need to work out how to program the garage door again :angry-banghead:
Ps the wayer lines are temporary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rumdidlydum

Postby Mad » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:54 pm

lol you won't forget it next time tho :)

lol couldn't get away from the garage reprogram :violin: haha that's funny :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) i hate my door just as much
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby WTDist » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:59 am

Hey rummy i was talkin to the in-law about these controls and mentioned how you had the circuit breaker and we agreed i should incorporate it into mine also. 3 kids so safety is a high priority.

anyway would this DETA 16A Plug-In Circuit Breaker one do the job in mine? couldn't quite make out the writing on yours in the pics but saw it was 16A. its running on a 10Amp switch as im renting

Cheers
WTD
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby WTDist » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:36 pm

just checked my power switches outside at the meter box. looks like they are 16A also? had C16 on them and were Clipsal so i figure they will be the same
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Looks to me it would work. Mad can tell you he is the sparky around here :D
rumdidlydum

Postby Mad » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:51 pm

hey WT.

i'll clarify i'm still an apprentice so you should still be seeking an electricians advice. however i will say that incorporating a breaker into your control box if at all will at least give you a closer place to reset it in the case of a over current fault and hopefully protect any of the house wiring further on also. it wont wotk if the fault is to ground, that will still trip at the safety switch in your swithbox outside. if you are concerned for your kids I would ask your sparky to incorporate an RCD and not a breaker but as I said earlier there will be (should by law) 1 in your switchboard outside.

ALSO in my limited experience the bunnings DETA brand is budget at best - is that what you want when your talking about the risks of electricity? I would at the very least advice to buy the HPM brand from bunnings for about $3 more lol

I'm sure there are other sparkys on the site that can further my advice or agree disagree with anything I've said.
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:43 pm

Just to report on the pid works well controlling a 2400w element on heat up and during a striping run. Combined with another 2400w element controlled by a ssr on full.
Alc flowing about 78c pid set to 110 and the temp ever so slightly rising as i take off jar after jar :D
Only downside is the parrot is bobing a little but i can live with that on a stripping run. I figure on a spirit run less power less alc flow :think: soon find out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rumdidlydum

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Mad wrote:hey WT.

i'll clarify i'm still an apprentice so you should still be seeking an electricians advice. however i will say that incorporating a breaker into your control box if at all will at least give you a closer place to reset it in the case of a over current fault and hopefully protect any of the house wiring further on also. it wont wotk if the fault is to ground, that will still trip at the safety switch in your swithbox outside. if you are concerned for your kids I would ask your sparky to incorporate an RCD and not a breaker but as I said earlier there will be (should by law) 1 in your switchboard outside.

ALSO in my limited experience the bunnings DETA brand is budget at best - is that what you want when your talking about the risks of electricity? I would at the very least advice to buy the HPM brand from bunnings for about $3 more lol

I'm sure there are other sparkys on the site that can further my advice or agree disagree with anything I've said.

Thats why you are the sparky and im the grease monkey :D
rumdidlydum

Postby Mad » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:36 am

dangerous team lol
Mad

Previous

Return to Electrical Hardware