Two Way Motorised Ball Valve

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Two Way Motorised Ball Valve

Postby wiifm » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:56 pm

I have been working on controlling RC water flow with a 2 way motorised ball valve using an Arduino board for a little while now. I have had some breakthroughs in the past couple of days so though I'd share what I have so far.

For anyone interested in the code, there is a GitHub repository here which has a library to handle all the functionality and a couple of example Arduino sketches.

More to come! :-B
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Re: Two Way Motorised Ball Valve

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Awesome very interesting :handgestures-thumbupleft: Would a needle valve be of more use than a ball valve though :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:31 pm

Being geeky at heart, I'm keenly interested, but WHY?? :think:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:32 pm

Outstanding work wiifm, I knew of a couple of members were playing with this stuff and I'm eager to see how its done and how accurate it is :handgestures-thumbupleft:

But to those out there that think this is a solution to set and walk away automation, think again..........
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby EziTasting » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:37 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:Outstanding work wiifm, I knew of a couple of members were playing with this stuff and I'm eager to see how its done and how accurate it is :handgestures-thumbupleft:

But to those out there that think this is a solution to set and walk away automation, think again..........

Well thats not what Im interested in it for... been thinking about finding a way to manage cooling water temps and flow for a while now, but Ive been preoccupied with making stuff I actually like to drink (even if I haven't been all that successful - yet)... :D I intend on getting there!!
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:39 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:Outstanding work wiifm, I knew of a couple of members were playing with this stuff and I'm eager to see how its done and how accurate it is :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Couldn't agree more but don't think that, that is what this is about

EziTasting wrote:Being geeky at heart, I'm keenly interested, but WHY?? :think:

You could have the software to also convert temps to abv then control the reflux to a specific output abv. on a bubbler.Simply instead of playing with a valve to suit output have software do it for you
:-B
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Y E E E E H E H E H E H E E E S S S S!!!!

been watching these vids on how they manage their temps with warning alarms etc ... now to control water flow to the RC ... sounds like a lot of fun!!! :D

Like Big Kev - "I'm Excited!"
EziTasting

Postby wiifm » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:17 pm

I am not now or ever advocating unattended distilling. Safety is always paramount. That's the last I will say about that.
bluc wrote:You could have the software to also convert temps to abv then control the reflux to a specific output abv. on a bubbler.Simply instead of playing with a valve to suit output have software do it for you
:-B

Bingo. This is just a piece of the jigsaw puzzle to fit with the rest.

A needle valve may be more accurate if you are leaving it to sit in one spot, but I dont have that intention. This code can make the valve move for only 1ms, so very fine resolution. Much finer than human fingers on a ball valve.
wiifm

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:33 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: sweet stuff :D
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:09 am

Silly question - does anyone here know where or if there's a good starting-off website?
Not so much 'where to buy' but more about learning about the basics and how to get started?!

I mean it's OK to copy, but if you don't understand then, when something goes wrong you won't be able to do anything to fix it!
Then I might as well buy a completed product so I can send it back... know what I mean?!?!
EziTasting

Postby wiifm » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Ezi

https://www.arduino.cc is THE place to start. From there, it is google and your imagination.

If you buy additional hardware from places like www.sparkfun.com, they usually have a tutorial with examples on how to make it work.

If you have any specific questions about this code, feel free to ask.
wiifm

Postby EziTasting » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:24 am

wiifm wrote:Ezi

https://www.arduino.cc is THE place to start. From there, it is google and your imagination.

If you buy additional hardware from places like http://www.sparkfun.com, they usually have a tutorial with examples on how to make it work.

If you have any specific questions about this code, feel free to ask.

Cheers wiifm, had found the first one and was starting to look around... but the second one gives you some vids on what individual the items do, that's very helpful!

I'll keep a read then send you a PM or 3 see if I can articulate what I want to achieve!?!

Thank you for your time.
EziTasting

Postby Carbonator » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:53 am

I like it and one could possibly have finer automated control using a needle valve that has a stepper motor to work it! Is there such a beast at reasonable cost? I think ultimately, someone will do it with a CPLD - would be more "bullet proof".
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Postby EziTasting » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:26 am

Carbonator wrote:I like it and one could possibly have finer automated control using a needle valve that has a stepper motor to work it! Is there such a beast at reasonable cost? I think ultimately, someone will do it with a CPLD - would be more "bullet proof".

Pharque Dood!

CPLD???? :wtf:
EziTasting

Postby Carbonator » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:15 am

EziTasting wrote:Pharque Dood!

CPLD???? :wtf:

HAHAHA!

Just another computer chip that does it all, just add buttons/switches, motor controller, display, temp probe and power.

Google can explain it exactly - https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei ... ssl#q=cpld
Carbonator

Postby EziTasting » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:45 am

:laughing-rolling: you're kidding right:
A complex programmable logic device (CPLD) is a programmable logic device with complexity between that of PALs and FPGAs, and architectural features of both. The main building block of the CPLD is a macrocell, which contains logic implementing disjunctive normal form expressions and more specialized logic operations.

Lol I think I get it... :shock: haha back to school, this should impress my kids!

I believe I'll be enjoying this mental exercise! And if it worx @ the end, will be even more enjoyable!
Sitting back, sipping a self-made Whisky, observing my little doodat whistling and chirping away while it measure/records temps and, with any luck, adjusting the water flow to the dephleg... one can dream!
EziTasting

Postby wiifm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:33 am

Carbonator wrote:I like it and one could possibly have finer automated control using a needle valve that has a stepper motor to work it! Is there such a beast at reasonable cost? I think ultimately, someone will do it with a CPLD - would be more "bullet proof".

Go for your life mate. In the meantime, I will keep doing what I am doing.

It may be the case that a needle valve gives finer control than a ball valve but....

This ball valve takes around 4200ms to turn 90 degrees and i can make it move for 1ms at a time if i want. That's around 1/50th of 1 degree. Then i could slow the motor down to obtain even finer movement if necessary.

Worth giving a go before going down the more expensive stepper motor needle valve path in my view.
wiifm

Postby Carbonator » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:31 pm

wiifm wrote:
Carbonator wrote:This ball valve takes around 4200ms to turn 90 degrees and i can make it move for 1ms at a time if i want. That's around 1/50th of 1 degree. Then i could slow the motor down to obtain even finer movement if necessary.

Worth giving a go before going down the more expensive stepper motor needle valve path in my view.

Yep, horses for courses! :-D
Carbonator

Postby lynx » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:04 pm

As I am new to the site 1st up I will say Hi to all the still freaks :happy-partydance: ..

I see every one trying to control this and that to make life simple ( Plug And Play ) " Not plug and walk away "
If your not in to learning a new computer language ( Arduino ) you might fiend this a little more simple...

Project : Control the water flow rate to the colum condenser to maintain best vaper ABV be for it moves it to condensing chamber.

Using a " Digital thermostat Temperature Controler " with onboard PID " Fuzzy " algorithm ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/REX-C400-Dual-Digital-F-C-Digital-PID-Temperature-Controller-Alarm-Function-/371474136406.. with a J type thermo probe in to the top of the colum..
This will Be attached to a 240vac step doune transformer 240vac - 12vdc with output control V. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-110V-220V-TO-DC-5V-12V-24V-2A-60A-Switch-Power-Supply-Adapter-Intriguing-/282263224842
Now we have 2 of the main components for control lets K.I.S.S this thing .. on this page you will fiend a Relay to switch rotation of a 12v motor http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtorelays.html
By running one relay to the " temp to hot " and one relay to " temp to cold " and then on to a DC motor with DC12V 5RPM High Torque Brushless DC Gear Box Motor Speed Reducer
and then using the DC-5V-12V-2A-Switch-Power-Supply-Adapter-Intriguing it will make slow controlled movements

Add in 2 micro stop switches so it will not jam shut or open past 90% of a needle valve...
well Thats the plan as I dont have lots of $$ I will be making it in parts and I will eventually set a recirculating tank out side with a pump 580lt will cover the heat exchange :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
lynx

equipment: T500 - 25lt Boiler 2000w & AirStill ....

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Good info lynx :handgestures-thumbupleft:

How about an intro post in the welcome center, it's only taken 18 months for your first post :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware