Power Controller for T500

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Power Controller for T500

Postby davesims » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi all

I have purchased a power controller for my T500 for when i am running my pot still, i just had a question wiring that i hope someone can please point me in the right direction

In option 1 i run the ground to the controller then to the output plug

In option 2 i run the ground to the output bypassing the controller

davesims

equipment: T500 copper and the usual noobie bits and pieces

Re: Power Controller for T500

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Sorry to say mate, if you are asking that question you shouldn't be wiring it.
We take electricity seriously and no one should be playing with it if the don't understand the principals and the built in safety aspects.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Plumby » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:16 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:Sorry to say mate, if you are asking that question you shouldn't be wiring it.
We take electricity seriously and no one should be playing with it if the don't understand the principals and the built in safety aspects.

Here here. Surely you must know a sparkey if not ask some of your mates if they know somebody. Better to pay $50 or a carton or two of beer to be safe than use it the first time and blow your fuse box or yourself up :scared-eek: . Also ask them to put a safety/RCD switch in, I did that in myne for added protection.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Kenster » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Dave...OPTION ONE... all good... you need to put it into a BOX of some sort which will prevent you from zapping yourself. I had the exact same one, blew its guts out, not that it was wired incorrectly, as it really is a no brainer, just insufficient cooling. I had mine in a fairly smallish enclosure..NO GOOD... AIR CIRCULATION...for about 8 bucks, (got one last weekend)Bunnings have a kind of junction box, about 4 inches by 5 or 6 inches, my sparky mate reckons it it just about keeping it cool enough.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Kenster » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Dave, PS... worst case, all you can do is blow a circuit breaker...NO ONE DIES.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)

Postby Plumby » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:11 pm

Kenster wrote:Dave, PS... worst case, all you can do is blow a circuit breaker...NO ONE DIES.

That all depends mate, how old is the dwelling, does it have a safety switch in the power box? My grandma's house was 60 years old when she died she never had one, to sell the house we had to put one in . After all it is electricity we are playing with here never assume it will be OK if you stuff up, you dont want to touch the boiler during heat up and become stuck there, I have had an electric shock and they are not fun at all.
Dave please be safe get a sparky to check your work.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:13 pm

Kenster wrote:Dave, PS... worst case, all you can do is blow a circuit breaker...NO ONE DIES.

Now that's the sort of post that shits me.
How do you know that for certain?
If you want to discuss this further PM me, just keep these sort of comments off the forum! :-B
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:11 pm

:text-+1: read the rules for this sub forum, unless you are a licensed electrician you are not qualified to give advice.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kenster » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Point taken and genuine apologies... i will refrain in future.
However the info supplied was in good faith and based on info supplied to me from an experienced lecky, for my own identical unit.
Probably had a couple too many bevvies last night to think it thru properly, as said already, genuine apologies.
I really respect this site and dont want to drag it down in any way...sorry guys
Kenster

Postby davesims » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Thank you all for your input,

Ken i would like to thank you and hope i did not get you into trouble
davesims

equipment: T500 copper and the usual noobie bits and pieces

Return to Electrical Hardware