PID for Chatcuterie fridge

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: PID for Chatcuterie fridge

Postby OzKev » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:04 am

Doubleuj wrote:I want to build a temp and humidity controller that can not only control a Chatcuterie fridge but also be interchangeable and used for a future mash tun.
From the little I understand about a PID set up is that it can be pre-programmed to monitor and stabilise a temperature using an SSR.
Looking back through old threads, this Sestos controller seems good.
but can i add an hygrometer such as this that would enable the PID to turn on / off a dehumidifier?
or do i have to bite the bullet and buy this and build a separate PID for the mash tun

I would keep the controllers seperate.
A PID will pulse the power, in ms, to get a smooth temp change. Great for a heating element, would stuff a fridge. The sestos will allow you to change back to on-off mode for fridge mode, but it would be a bugger forgetting to change it and killing your fridge. Another thing is the compressor delay, for a fridge you want a couple of minutes, for brewing you want it off, more crap to have to change. Also what happens when brewing runs late, and you forget to put the pid controller back on the fridge? No so good for than pancetta/etc that you have spent time and money on.

For the curing chamber:
I've never seen/used that pre-build dual controller but I think I would go with it. Looks pretty neat. I used a standard stc temp controller and ebay humidity controller for mine. For creating the humidity I used a ebay pond fogger, works great. Just make sure the one you pick includes the power supply.

For the brewery:
The stc will actually do a decent job, but a pid (such as sestos) will help smooth out the over and under shooting. A lot of the sestos packs are sold with really crappy temp probes, so consider buying a better one separately.

A pic to motivate you
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:37 am

Great post kev :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:32 am

rumdidlydum wrote:Great post kev :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:
Thanks Kev, thats exactly what i needed, guidance in the right direction.
im now going for two separate units.
Ill start a build thread as soon as i gather some equipment
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Bumper » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:You can get a productive system in 6 sq metres

Capital aquaponics was selling a 100 fish 2.4m2 system before they closed last year. Been talking with the owner, and reckon a build is pretty straight forward. Tig welding course in May will help too ;-)
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby Bumper » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Aquaponics yes sir I know a little bit about it :oops:
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... f=18&t=663
Mate is that your build? Hats off, that is awesome! Actually I should say builds, having worked through your thread. Great resource, thank you.
Last edited by Bumper on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bumper

Postby Bumper » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:10 pm

OzKev wrote:
Doubleuj wrote:I want to build a temp and humidity controller that can not only control a Chatcuterie fridge but also be interchangeable and used for a future mash tun.
From the little I understand about a PID set up is that it can be pre-programmed to monitor and stabilise a temperature using an SSR.
Looking back through old threads, this Sestos controller seems good.
but can i add an hygrometer such as this that would enable the PID to turn on / off a dehumidifier?
or do i have to bite the bullet and buy this and build a separate PID for the mash tun

I would keep the controllers seperate.
A PID will pulse the power, in ms, to get a smooth temp change. Great for a heating element, would stuff a fridge. The sestos will allow you to change back to on-off mode for fridge mode, but it would be a bugger forgetting to change it and killing your fridge. Another thing is the compressor delay, for a fridge you want a couple of minutes, for brewing you want it off, more crap to have to change. Also what happens when brewing runs late, and you forget to put the pid controller back on the fridge? No so good for than pancetta/etc that you have spent time and money on.

For the curing chamber:
I've never seen/used that pre-build dual controller but I think I would go with it. Looks pretty neat. I used a standard stc temp controller and ebay humidity controller for mine. For creating the humidity I used a ebay pond fogger, works great. Just make sure the one you pick includes the power supply.

For the brewery:
The stc will actually do a decent job, but a pid (such as sestos) will help smooth out the over and under shooting. A lot of the sestos packs are sold with really crappy temp probes, so consider buying a better one separately.

Nice product there Kev!
Bumper

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:I have built one using these fittings works great
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10A-220V-Min ... 58b15f7c25
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220-240V-Dig ... 5d4076ca56
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Humidifi ... m=25222117
I use the black one
My build id documented somewhere just cant find it
It was 2 years ago
Found it
http://www.aussiepitmasters.com.au/view ... i&start=10

This is the link to it as it didn’t open for me and this will save me time finding it
http://www.aussiepitmasters.com.au/view ... rie#p21732
Edit; It didn’t open :handgestures-thumbdown: the thread is called “going to have a crack at salami” by fishfood in general discussion.
Last edited by Wobblyboot on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:52 am

Use the umai bags no humidity control needed :handgestures-thumbupleft: my 10kg batch of salami came out great
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:00 am

I had to google umai bags but they look awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Thanks Nath :handgestures-thumbupleft:
How do they work?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:08 am

They work really well mate! they are a special perforated casing as such..which allow for moisture to escape during the curing process. It also prevents case hardening so you have no issues with the sausage not curing properly. I add in my bactoferm TSPX starter culture with Cure#2 salt and the sausage ferments out in around 70 hours then into the fridge. I catch a fair few pigs witht the dogs and the fat pigs that come off the bunya nuts are perfect candidates :handgestures-thumbupleft:. I will add a photo of my salami in the casing when I get home, they have just reached 35% weight loss.
Nathan02

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:23 am

the process...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nathan02

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:24 am

here the salami is at 15% weight loss..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nathan02

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:03 am

That's awesome ^:)^
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:32 am

That’s really good. I don’t have a Charcuterie fridges as yet, so this will allow me to get started on Salami!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Certainly opened another avenue.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:14 am

What sort of vacuum sealer do you use?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:31 pm

Hey mate I just use a vacuum sealer from aldi..as long as it has the moist food option your laughing..here's my salami at 35% tonight after 6 weeks..

Nathan02

Previous

Return to Electrical Hardware