Electrical woes

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Have to look into different electricity supply when I pulled the plugs today the points were so hot couldn't touch them
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Have to look into different electricity supply when I pulled the plugs today the points were so hot couldn't touch them

I've had that too, was on a bunnings 15amp extension lead. Actually burnt the female plug side. Don't know what the solution is but if you figure it out let us know :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Electrical woes

Postby Psykamaholik » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Have to look into different electricity supply when I pulled the plugs today the points were so hot couldn't touch them

Do the pins on the plug look tarnished much? or nice, bright & shiny?
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby Azza76 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Might have to go 3 phase lol :laughing-rolling:
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:46 am

Psykamaholik wrote:

Do the pins on the plug look tarnished much? or nice, bright & shiny?

The pins still look shiny the other plug [I run 2 elements i fixed it by slightly bending the pins to make better contact
A mates one 15 amp burnt out where the wire is screwed to the plug
I am looking at changing the power points to 15 amp also to make better contact solder the wire ends before screwing into the plug
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Psykamaholik » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:29 am

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:solder the wire ends before screwing into the plug

NO! :violence-smack: This will make it worse & it's against wiring rules.

You can't just change the outlet to a 15A one either, they must be on a dedicated circuit with only the one outlet on it, appropriate cable and circuit breaker. Job for an electrician.

It may be possible the screw has come loose in the power point terminal, these things can happen over time. Get an electrician to check it, the contacts inside the outlet where the pins make contact may have tarnished/deteriorated too.

Again, get an electrician to look at it.
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby scythe » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:35 am

Im not a sparky but im not sure soldering/tinning the wires before clamping them will make a better contact.

The oxides from solder are probably aren't as electrically conductive as copper oxides.

Not to mention the point contact of the hard solder blob over the multiple wires in the core.

[Edit]
Beat me to it.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby warramungas » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:41 am

Mine get too hot to touch too. Not sure if there is a solution when you're running so hard for so long.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby EziTasting » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 am

Also not a sparky, but I was told a good rule of thumb is that when it gets hot, the cable/plug can't handle (is not rated) for the electricity going thru it...

So you can get heavier cable and plugs that are rated much re suitable, but then the GPO can become a problem!

I've referred everything to a sparky because I'm too church corn to answer the questions after my house burns down! Especially the ones that cancell your insurance!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks for the replys was looking for the easy way out
So heres the plan
Photo of switch board in shed [ 3 meters away from still]
2spare spots on it so 2 new breakers and 2 = 15 amp power points under
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aussiedownunder01

Re: Electrical woes

Postby ant b » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:52 am

Never solder multi stranded cables before putting into a screw connector as this will reduce the surface area of the cable in contact with the clamping faces and increase in heat.

20A outlets and plugs are available allowing the use of 2.5mm cables instead of 1.5mm in a normal extension cord

Note: 15A outlets only have a larger earth pin (larger fault current) the active and neutral pins are the same size as a 10A. 20A plugs have 3 larger pins more surface area higher current less heat.
ant b

equipment: Reflux

Postby Hagrid » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Hey Aussi
Is that a mains board or a sub board. Causes if it is a sub board that is a very large 80a switch.
Anyway while you have the eleci around to put in new power points get him to change all of them to RCBO's. makes for a bit more safety at not much cost.
My 2 cents.
Hagrid

equipment: Hand made pot.
VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:39 am

Thanks will ask him
Aussiedownunder01

Postby markus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:01 am

Some of the Bunnings so called 15 amp extension cords are only 1.5mm core. I would stay well clear of them and get 2.5mm. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
markus

equipment: 4" FSD on keg
All copper pot still

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 am

What is the voltage in your house it can be over voltage 260 volts and at t what voltage are the heating elements rated a 3600 element at 220 volts will be over 15 amps nearly 18 amps and if the element also may be over powered say 10% taking it up to 20 amps.
wynnum1

Postby Undertaker » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:35 am

wynnum1 wrote:What is the voltage in your house

I have no idea. But this happened to my outlet after a long run

So I got this.
No more problems

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:50 pm

I found useing more than about 2000wt from a standard 10amp for a long period always seemed ta make cord and or plugs and fuse blocks hot or trip off,So I got two 3600wt elements and had them wired up so that only 1/2 of the element was active giveing an output of 1800wt each,for a total of 3600wt with both on.This has been a solution for me as everything is now runing cool.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:09 pm

How is this achieved? hilzabilly to get this done what do I ask for?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Got the idear from viewtopic.php?f=60&t=9351 ,did not bother with the switchs ,the elements are actually two wired together ,thats the little plates joining them,my electrician removed the plates and connected to only one element only and earthed to the standard point on the Fsd guards,wich is a change that is also easily reversable.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby EziTasting » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Hillz, you thinking of changing this in the future or is this the end of your needs?

I recall chatting to Warra about your type of setup in order to use one, toe, three or four elements via a controller... I liked the idea, but have no use for that kind of separation at this stage, but who knows what the future holds!?!?

Don't know enough as yet about this hobby to warrant the additional outlay; but I am curious.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware