Keg king temperature controller, any good?

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Keg king temperature controller, any good?

Postby sok1974 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 am

http://cdn.kegking.com.au/media/catalog ... r-full.jpg

Wanting to use it for mash and fermenting.
I like that it does both heating and cooling with minimum on off times and delay between
heating and cooling.
All perameters are adjustable.

These ok or junk?

Cheers

Simon
sok1974

equipment: None yet

Re: Keg king temperature controller, any good?

Postby Professor Green » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:20 pm

I've used it to turn the heater pad beneath a fermenter on when the temperature drops too low. It's OK, does what the blurb says it does. Can't comment on it's robustness through as I haven't had it that long.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby sok1974 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I think I might look into the voltage controller option more
before I decide.
Good to know that one at least works.
It sure does have some good features for the price it' will
make my process easier which is always welcome.
Cheers
Simon
sok1974

equipment: None yet

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:31 pm

I wouldn't touch keg king shit with a 12 foot clown pole :O)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby res » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:42 am

Looks a bit like a pre-wired ST1000 maybe :think: Depending on what you need you might save some coin a grab and ST from ebay, usually around 15-20 bucks. You will need to wire them yourself however. Worth a look.
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby warramungas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 am

Sam. wrote:I wouldn't touch keg king shit with a 12 foot clown pole :O)

How long a clown pole do you need? I work with a few clowns and can ask if I can borrow a longer one for ya. :laughing-rolling:
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Sam. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:21 am

warramungas wrote:
Sam. wrote:I wouldn't touch keg king shit with a 12 foot clown pole :O)

How long a clown pole do you need? I work with a few clowns and can ask if I can borrow a longer one for ya. :laughing-rolling:

Hmm... not sure they make them long enough :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Lowie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:46 am

res wrote:Looks a bit like a pre-wired ST1000 maybe :think: Depending on what you need you might save some coin a grab and ST from ebay, usually around 15-20 bucks. You will need to wire them yourself however. Worth a look.

:text-+1: . I use a coupl of stc1000's. one for mashing and one for controlling my fridge temperature. As res says, you can pick them up on fleabay cheap and if you do a google search you can find instructions on how to wire them and program them. If you can't find this info pm me and I will see if I can dig up my wiring diagram.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby EziTasting » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:01 am

The STC-1000 are really easy to do (especially if you have a sparky friend :D ) but work really easy!

Theres a guy that uses them to control his ferments inside an old fridge (Gashslug on Youtube), its a project I am keen to replicate as I want to do AG for Whisky distilling soon... Remade is simpler but there must be a reason why people do what we do, as a hobby! :think:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby OzKev » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:37 am

If you dont want to wire the stc1000 yourself, then the keg king controllers are excellent.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby Wraith71 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Ive used one with pretty good success, with a converted fridge during those stinking hot days last summer. They kick in and out within a few degs of what your aiming for .. wouldn't recommend trying it out on the heat setting for a still tho .. I did and was a pain .. but they are seemingly well made and so easy to use a half drunk dislisic redneck can get it right or so the missus points out. It never hurts to have a few toys in the arsenal.
Cheers.
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Return to Electrical Hardware