Power Controller - Confusion

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: Power Controller - Confusion

Postby Clubby » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Professor Green wrote:I would be concerned about those screw terminals on the back. The possibility for live wires working their way lose or breaking off is very real as there is no strain relief for the cables.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Good point Professor. Think i will make a plate up and replace the wire using glands.

Would adding and earth be, just connecting the two earth wires (in and out) with a bolt on the box. Going to get it all tested before use. But would like to finish it myself, if possible.
Clubby

equipment: FSD 50L milk can boiler, Neutralizer 5 plate, blockhead tee and a Gin Caddy. 2 x 2400 elements.

Turbo 500, an old 2" pot, too suit a T500 boiler collecting dust

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:53 pm

Yes. Join the two earths and make sure all metal enclosures/parts are eathed :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Professor Green » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Looks like the case is powder coated, you might need to srape some of the powder coating of around the earth hole to make sure you get a good electrical connection.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:39 pm

:text-+1:
And use "shake proof washers" or "star washers"
Diferent names, same thing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby scythe » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:02 am

I will second the concern about live wires breaking away from screw terminals.
Just yesterday the vehicle hoist at work was not working properly, after a bit of investigation it turns out that not only did someone smash the limit switch at the top of the stroke but this was because a wire had broken off inside the control box and it was not receiving the stop signal to then engage the locks.

And this happened inside a box that does not get moved around and is exposed to no vibration or pulling.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby nosey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Picked up to run a 2200 w heating element easy to connect up
Last edited by Doubleuj on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising link
nosey

equipment: homebuilt 50lt keg modified with tri clover 2" fittings 2200 watt heat element

Postby Plumby » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:12 pm

I brought the 4000watt version with fan off eBay. It works well, I put mine in a box with a safety switch for added protection.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Triangle » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 pm

Good points made by Prof. Green.

From my experience......that Chint CB has to go for something better quality. I end up replacing these all the time among a couple of brands.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Amfamora » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:30 pm

I took PeterC's advice and received some IEC C19 and C20 plugs and sockets today for the power cables from RS Components.
Amfamora

equipment: T500 Pot and Reflux :/
50l Keg Boiler
4" Bubbler

Postby Lowie » Thu May 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Finalllly got around to getting mine out of the box last night. I attached a 240v plug socket to the back of the box and re-routed the power out cables to the socket. Fired it up with my boiler, all good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Lowie » Fri May 05, 2017 8:31 am

Here's a pic of the mod. I've ordered the other plug and socket as per Amfarmoras suggestion :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Amfamora » Wed May 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Received my controller today but it is not working correctly. On regulates voltage between approx 200 - 240v. Wont go below 200 volts tested with a multimeter :angry-banghead:

Possible its a bung potentiometer that needs replacing? Anyone else have theirs go below 200v?
Amfamora

50l Keg Boiler
4" Bubbler

Postby Amfamora » Wed May 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Well Im a goose.

Works fine if you have the element plugged in. I was only bench testing it :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amfamora

50l Keg Boiler
4" Bubbler

Postby Lowie » Wed May 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Sure you were... :shhh:
Lowie

Postby Lowie » Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 pm

I've been running my bubbler tonight on a vinegar run. My shed smells like a chip shop and I've found a few leaks with steam coming out of some connections which is a good thing I suppose before the sac run. I'm running a 3000w element on a 10a circuit and through trial and error (overloading the circuit breaker and stumbling around in the dark) I've found that my control box runs ok set at 150-160V. All good with this controller so far, it's not even getting hot. Good enough to keep the boiler going. I'm in the process of getting a 30A upgrade to the shed :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

Postby warramungas » Sat May 13, 2017 2:53 am

If you do get the power upgraded to handle 3000 watts just make sure all the connections and wiring for your box and boiler are up to the job. I run a 10000 watt box but all the wiring is only 10 amp so max is 2400 watts element.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Lowie » Fri May 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Blew the fuse this arvo early on in my second run. No spare fuses so pulled the lid off an bypassed the fuse. I figure I'm running a Clipsal safety switch at the main so don't need one anyway. Right or wrong? :think:
Lowie

Postby Plumby » Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm no rocket surgeon man but that sounds like a bad idea.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Triangle » Fri May 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Lowie wrote:Blew the fuse this arvo early on in my second run. No spare fuses so pulled the lid off an bypassed the fuse. I figure I'm running a Clipsal safety switch at the main so don't need one anyway. Right or wrong? :think:

Fuses in equipment are designed to either protect the wiring or components in that equipment, depending on the type of fuse.

The safety switch is to protect against an active to earth (or neutral to earth as does occur) condition. It won't protect against an active to neutral fault or an overloaded circuit unless the condition has become so drastic the insulation has broken down and produced a fault to earth.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Buzz » Fri May 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Lowie wrote:Blew the fuse this arvo early on in my second run. No spare fuses so pulled the lid off an bypassed the fuse. I figure I'm running a Clipsal safety switch at the main so don't need one anyway. Right or wrong? :think:

The fuse is the protection for that individual circuit and is there to prevent any part of that circuit from catching on fire. Even if the saftey switch is connected to that circuit it will do nothing to prevent a circuit overheating and catching on fire without the fuse or circuit breaker. Fusewire packs cost less than $10.00 and everyone with fuses should have one in their switchboard.
Buzz

equipment: FSD 4" pot with work started on a keg boiler
and a 20 year old Spirits Unlimited aluminium pot still

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Hardware