American power source

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

American power source

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:33 pm

I am wondering if I wanted to go electric down the track can you use American elements here in Australia.
I have access to a couple of these (they come in a shorter length) I'm assuming they are American 3 phase.
My question is that is it possible to have this type of setup at home and how much trouble is involved in hooking it up.
I have read that some of the guys here are sparkys and may know. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Re: American power source

Postby Psykamaholik » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:55 pm

I wouldn't recommend connecting a 110V device (american single phase voltage) to 230V supply here without the appropriate step down transformer because the insulation from the bitey bit inside the element won't be designed to take that. Whatever element you get make sure it is rated to connect to the 230V we get out of the wall here.

In regards to 3-phase anything, if you don't have 3-phase connected to your house already expect to pay large sums of money to energex (or whoever owns the network for those not in QLD) to run the other phases into your house from the power pole and then money to a sparky to continue those to your shed.
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:57 pm

I think you will find it easier to get and raise fewer eyebrows if you went with 15a sockets. If you had two 15a sockets you could run 7200w (two 3600w elements for heatup would be fast enough on your boiler i reakon) then once at temp turn one element off and dial the other down to desired voltage. You could prob just use one 3600w (15a) and one 2400w :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There is a time to boiling calculator in the beginers section. Have a play with that and see how many watts you are happy with..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby coffe addict » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:23 pm

Apart from the huge industrial elements that run on three phase I think you'll find that the us elements are 240v like the two camco elements I just bought. 5500w 240v heaps of power!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:29 pm

United States do have 220 V outlets may be 3 phase do not know and elements can be 220 V so would be safe to use those in Australia if wired correctly
If you need 3 phase can buy a converter but expensive but could be cheaper then installing 3 phase..
wynnum1

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:32 pm

coffe addict wrote:Apart from the huge industrial elements that run on three phase I think you'll find that the us elements are 240v like the two camco elements I just bought. 5500w 240v heaps of power!

Are you saying them ones could be classed as huge industrial elements?

Surprisingly enough some blokes are running them from sheds on there property's in the US.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:48 pm

I was only toying with the idea because I was offered a couple shorter ones some months back, I like the idea of gunning on the naked flame myself.
Will give the idea a miss. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby Sam. » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:58 pm

The one in the pic is fucking heaps bigger than anything I would consider hobby level and I am guessing would have to be 3 phase
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Sam. wrote:The one in the pic is fucking heaps bigger than anything I would consider hobby level and I am guessing would have to be 3 phase

Yer I'm hearing ya, them hillbillies over there are a bit different. I have got to know several lads over the course of my build and a couple run 120 gallon cans and one even bigger. Your guess would be as good as mine what you would do with that much whiskey, but I guarantee you could drink it all. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Even if they are only half filling them....
copperhead road

Postby scythe » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Rather than getting one massive element it would be better to get multiple smaller ones.
Wasnt a member here doing just that?
I think it was 4x 2400w on a pro boiler...
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Kenster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:44 pm

CHR... you are keen on gas... do the numbers... LPG is hideously priced and the amount you would use on your size boiler, using natural gas, will never come close to electric.Then you need pipes and valves...etc. Elements from China (Flea bay for example) which are the ones we pretty much get here anyway, are ridiculously cheap and reasonable quality. No rooting around with USA configurations, no fire hazard (gas) just plain obvious. Your heat up times will be exactly the same with elec as with gas, pretty much... then you can back off with a controller when needed.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Kenster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Plus... the unit becomes somewhat more portable... ie... no gas lines or bottles to shift around if ever the need arises... Elements..internal...simple.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Gas or fire is old skool like ya still,and I understand ya choice that way for authenticity,but electric may turn out ta be more practical and safer but then all have risks,a couple of 3600wt element and gaurds from FSD and a power control for one element will cover all bases and give ya more options.Get a couple of 2inch end caps as well then those can be fitted if running gas or for storeage and transport.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:37 pm

Kenster wrote:Plus... the unit becomes somewhat more portable... ie... no gas lines or bottles to shift around if ever the need arises... Elements..internal...simple.

I would disagree, you can run a water line as far as you like within reason, you can only run an extension cord so far before the power drop is too much and won't power your elements properly.

You could get full hillbilly and use a windmill on a bore for your cooling :teasing-neener:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Psykamaholik » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Sam. wrote:You could get full hillbilly and use a windmill on a bore for your cooling :teasing-neener:

Now that I'd like to see! :))
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Psykamaholik wrote:
Sam. wrote:You could get full hillbilly and use a windmill on a bore for your cooling :teasing-neener:

Now that I'd like to see! :))

You know how out of place a windmill would look in my neighbourhood :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

Postby Dig Brinker » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:15 am

copperhead road wrote:
Sam. wrote:I guarantee you could drink it all. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No thanks, maybe just a hearts jar for me

*sorry, this is not Sam'e quote
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby copperhead road » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:09 am

Dig Brinker wrote:
copperhead road wrote:
Sam. wrote:I guarantee you could drink it all. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No thanks, maybe just a hearts jar for me

*sorry, this is not Sam'e quote

Sorry it's a typo it's should say "I guarantee you could not drink it all"

Even if they are only half filling them.... is in reference to the size of the boilers some blokes are running at home :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby Kenster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:00 pm

Sam, i didnt mean that he could move his rig into the next neighbourhood, just somewhere else close by if he had to temporarily shift it. My main thrust was the movement of gas lines/bottles which would need to be pretty well plumbed i guess... just clarifying, thats all. Water lines v extension cords... obvious.
Kenster

Return to Electrical Hardware