Building my power controller

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Building my power controller

Postby Psykamaholik » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Hey all, Just though I'd share some pics from my power controller I've been building lately.

At this stage going to be the standard SCR from e(vil)Bay with a digital power monitor and outlet but I'm planning ahead from when I eventually hardwire it in.

Long term plan when it's hardwired is that I will have the outlet on the left as non-controlled on/off for one 2400W element during heat up and the one on the right is the SCR controlled outlet. Middle hole still needs a 25mm gland for inlet cable.
20171004_182958.jpg

The inside looking something like this so far
20171004_183012.jpg

20171004_183031.jpg

Outside as a mock up will be something along the lines of this
20171004_182948.jpg

I've left plenty of spare space below the SCR for future additions of switches for each outlet and indicator lights
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Re: Building my power controller

Postby musclewarrior » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm surprised you used 2 power inlet plugs.

I would have suggested having 1, then just have a 15A 3 way switch on the box to flick between 100% and variable control. I'd imagine it would have been cheaper and nicer to implement.
musclewarrior

equipment: None - Newbie

Postby db1979 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm

I think Psykamaholik says he only has 1 inlet, that's the small hole he still needs to add a cable gland to. The other two are outlets that the elements from the boiler plug into. One on the left uncontrolled, one on the right controlled.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Professor Green » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm

I think the plan is to eventually have two independent outputs; one under power control and the other simply on/off.

EDIT: Ninja'd by db1979

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Psykamaholik » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:53 am

Yup, thats the plan guys. At first only the controlled outlet will be connected, but once I find a permanent stilling spot in the shed I`ll hard wire it in and connect the second outlet with just an on/off switch for warm up
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Return to Electrical Hardware