The Phat Controller

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

The Phat Controller

Postby Buzz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:15 pm

I wanted to build a controller but I did not want to use a PSR25 without the filter. So, after a search on Ebay I found a zero crossing relay with built in heatsink that is controlled with a 0 to 10 volt input. The price of the relay was less than the cost of a PSR25 and filter. Sourced a 0 to 10v pot from China and a 24vDC power supply again on Ebay, a 300mm x 400mm x 250mm enclosure from Altronics for $85.00, a circuit breaker and contactor that I had stashed away and a pair of on/off push button switches from an electrical wholesaler for $50.00.
Finally got it all assembled last night and gave it a test run today...... its ALIVE :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I will add a voltmeter that i have lying around to give an estimate of output percentage and a 15A socket outlet to the side soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buzz

equipment: FSD 4" pot with work started on a keg boiler
and a 20 year old Spirits Unlimited aluminium pot still

Re: The Phat Controller

Postby Lowie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Nice one mate. very professional! I reckon controllers are the best thing since sliced bread..
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 pm

Great looking controller mate, well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby scythe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 am

Did you also look at the prices of an SSR-VA?
Because i think they are zero crossing and dont need an additional filter.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Electrical Hardware