Power controller issue

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Power controller issue

Postby nuddy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Afternoon everyone,

I have a DIY power controller I purchased online that I assembled and has been running fine except for 1 issue. Whenever I turn the pot down passed 40% it stops sending power to the element. Which has not been an issue until today when I tried running a pot spirit run and was unable to fine tune my power input any lower than 40%. I was running it on an 1800W element.

Its a 40A SSR with a 500k pot attached to it. In built 240v fan that works once power is to the box as well as a 240v light to let me know the box is powered. Works fine except for that one little issue.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea whats going on here?

I've attached pics to help see how it's wired.

Will have access to a multi-meter later this evening.

nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Re: Power controller issue

Postby RC Al » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Check the potentiometer hook up, either 2 outside or the 3 pins are used, the one off to the side is usually a locator/earth?
That is a non linear A type, the output would be more consistent with a B type linear one
Have a qualified person check it out?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby RC Al » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:31 pm

Crap, it's the middle and either outer, yours is wired ok, may just be the A type thing or a crappy pot to start with
Been too long since I rewired my guitar
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby YarraRanges » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:18 pm

You probably need a wire wound potentiometer as some SSRs require a decent current on the signal side. A carbon track pot can burn out.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby nuddy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Brought a cheap chinesium out the box 4000W power controller. Set it up with an amps and volt meter in line. Element ran fine. Was able to get a 2400W element down to 300W before powering off.

Tried the original power controller, was getting much higher volts and amps than what should have been expected for the turned position on the pot (when pot was turned approx half way down with a 2400w element, was reading 1700-1800W).

Bit the bullet and stripped the pot down and found a burn mark on the carbon track where it was powering off. Time for a new bigger rated pot I think.

Could a dodgy carbon track be the reason the controller was returning a higher voltage than expected? Or did I have a logarithmic pot installed instead of a linear?
nuddy

Postby RC Al » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:42 pm

The "A" on the second line of the pot meant logarithmic
either of these will fix it
http://www.radioparts.com.au/product/32 ... kb-500k-(b)-linear-pot-potentiometer#.WppA5x1uaUk
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/potentiometers/8318801/
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby nuddy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm

RC Al wrote:The "A" on the second line of the pot meant logarithmic
either of these will fix it
http://www.radioparts.com.au/product/32 ... kb-500k-(b)-linear-pot-potentiometer#.WppA5x1uaUk
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/potentiometers/8318801/

Cheers RC Al,

The chinesium import ended up frying itself 20 mins into the run and stuck wipe open. So I gutted it and pulled the potentiometer out, which luckily happened to be a 2W 500K A type. It got a new home in the original power controller. Ran fine for the rest of the run.
nuddy

Return to Electrical Hardware