RCD in control box

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

RCD in control box

Postby Astro » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 pm

I've been using a mates control box for a couple years and now he wants it back :handgestures-thumbdown:

so just finished ordering all my gear but only have a 20A fuse for the shed, thats another job to be done.
In the mean time ill get an RCD for my box, im handy enough with the wiring but before i order/build and get it checked im seeing if anyone has used these before i buy it

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-20amp-residual-circuit-breaker-with-overload_p4330895
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

Re: RCD in control box

Postby warramungas » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Not a lecky nor can I bring up a picture of the rcd but aren't these the thingamibobs that are in your house fuse box?
I don't know anyone that has it in their control box as its sort of like having 2 in the one electrical circuit. I cant see why you couldn't but cant see why you would.
Is there a specific reason you need it in the box like your shed doesn't have them (from house incomer to shed) at all?
If it doesn't it might be worth getting one put in as it can protect more than a still. Shouldn't cost too much to get one installed?

On the other hand you can buy electrical boards, the term eludes me, that have a safety swutch built in you could also use for other electrical items.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-4-out ... h_p7052850

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images(3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby bluc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:38 pm

I have one in mine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Astro » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:31 pm

warramungas wrote:Not a lecky nor can I bring up a picture of the rcd but aren't these the thingamibobs that are in your house fuse box?
I don't know anyone that has it in their control box as its sort of like having 2 in the one electrical circuit. I cant see why you couldn't but cant see why you would.
Is there a specific reason you need it in the box like your shed doesn't have them (from house incomer to shed) at all?
If it doesn't it might be worth getting one put in as it can protect more than a still. Shouldn't cost too much to get one installed?

On the other hand you can buy electrical boards, the term eludes me, that have a safety swutch built in you could also use for other electrical items.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-4-out ... h_p7052850

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images(3).jpg

old school fuse wire on my power board for the shed, the house power has rcd's. people who built the house lived in the shed while it was getting built, dont know if that has something to do with it. will definately be getting them put in when they come do the solar panels
Astro

Postby Astro » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:32 pm

bluc wrote:I have one in mine :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks mate, more protection the better as far as im concerned. also do you have them in your house fuse box?
Astro

Postby bluc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Yes We have safety switch covers all power points I think and we have a trip switch? Fuses on each circuit also. I dont know proper linger and not an electrican. When anything happens the safety switch cuts out first.
Last edited by bluc on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Plumby » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:53 pm

bluc wrote:I have one in mine :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: Can never be too safe.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Whatever you end up doing Astro, please make sure you get your controller checked by a qualified sparky. :law-policered:

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Astro » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Professor Green wrote:Whatever you end up doing Astro, please make sure you get your controller checked by a qualified sparky. :law-policered:

Cheers,
Prof. Green

Yes mate, not compromising myself or my family for the sake of a bit of rum. Only having a fuse for the shed has me rattled actually, got a sparky coming around thursday hopefully to update the fuse box
Astro

Postby Professor Green » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:55 am

Good to hear mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:12 pm

I'm pretty sure you can get an rcd/breaker switch that pushes into your old style ceramic fuse holders. May be a cheaper option. I've never used them so I don't know what they're like so can't recommend them sorry. Just another thought that's all.

We've got some sparkies on here so they might be able to fill us in on them?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:30 pm

I think thats what we have woody. We originally had fuse wire fuses in a ceramic wire holder. The current ones slot straight into the ceramic fuse holders.
But I think they are mainly for overvoltage/overloading.
In addition to them we have the "safety switch" used to be called earth leakage. Which is short circuit power to earth situation safety cut off.. :handgestures-thumbupleft: the leccy will know what you need astro :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Astro » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Yeah above my paygrade, leccy can sort it.
Did however just get one of these for $30 for the time being
https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-single-outlet-safety-switch_p7050029

parts started arriving today for the controller, should have it up and going shortly. still waiting on the IEC connectors and the fan.
Got an old metal battery charger i gutted to use :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Astro on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astro

Return to Electrical Hardware