Power controller circuit breaker sizing

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Power controller circuit breaker sizing

Postby musclewarrior » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 am

As the Five star 2400W elements run right on 10 amps or thereabouts, what would be the recommended circuit breaker size?

I would have thought a 13 amp breaker would be sound, however the next step up from the 10 amp breaker is 15 amps? This seems a bit too large to me so was I chasing opinions.

It seems that not everyone uses a separate breaker for their controllers, but I think its always good practice to have a separate breaker on the controller itself, so your not totally reliant on the mains circuit protection mechanisms. You can never be too safe!
musclewarrior

equipment: None - Newbie

Re: Power controller circuit breaker sizing

Postby Matt_Pl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 pm

10 amp breaker is fun, they are rated for contentious current draw.

You will have to run each element off a different circuit tho.

remember circuit breakers are rated to the cable of the instalation, not the load at the end of it mate.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: Power controller circuit breaker sizing

Postby poompy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 am

circuit breakers protect the cable not the device.

if the controller has been installed as per as3000 then additional protection wont be needed via CB. I would more inclined to look at the current supply to the outlet you are going to use or if you are going to get a licensed electrician to install a dedicated circuit for your brewing then they will be able to install it meet as3000 requirements. Overload and Ground Fault protection.
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

Return to Electrical Hardware