Best Electrical option

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: Best Electrical option

Postby adam89 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi GSX913,

You could definitely do this. I haven't come across 5.5kW elements yet, I guess that narrowed my thoughts. The negative of this option however is the limitation of 1 element. He just has to build a controller to suit
A 32A single phase outlet would be a great option.

My preferred option is a dedicated circuit for any distilling element, whether it is 2.4 - 5.5kW.

Rajika just has to work out how he wants to go about it.
adam89

equipment: 2" Pot Still (Mac Built)
4" 5 Plate Modular Copper Bubbler (Mac Built)
50L Boiler on Gas
50L Boiler with 2x2400W element

Postby RC Al » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:40 pm

They come in 9 & 12kw commonly too (also in 3 phase), 50 amps, now that's gotta be an expensive plug and cable
I plan to go a 3 pole 6kw initially to split the current over a few circuits
Cost wise, gas would come in cheaper at higher power requirements if you're amps limited and have to get more installed
Last edited by RC Al on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby coffe addict » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:26 am

It's definitely cheaper to set up high power gas, that said 5500w elements are definitely available as I've got two here that I've decided not to use...
I've been told a 25amp cir is adequate for 5500w and a separate 10amp for pumps and the like. This should obviously be checked with your electrician.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby gsx913 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:08 am

adam89 wrote:Hi GSX913,

You could definitely do this. I haven't come across 5.5kW elements yet, I guess that narrowed my thoughts. The negative of this option however is the limitation of 1 element. He just has to build a controller to suit
A 32A single phase outlet would be a great option.

The element I use is a Camco 02965 which is used in my electric brewery setup.

Just wondering what the limitations of having 1 element are? I know many people here use multiple elements to ramp up the heat, is there any benefit other than that?
gsx913

equipment: Pot still wanted

Postby coffe addict » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:31 am

The only benefit of two element is they can be run off separate circuits, so 2x2400w on most houses with out paying for bigger cables and sockets. Also the parts for building a controller are cheaper on lower wattage.
If you have bigger circuits/controller already or are happy to call a sparkie...
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 am

If one goes bang you have the other to continue your run as well.

If you have 5 Star elements this isn't an issue as they don't go bang :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:03 am

Unless they're run dry :shifty: :whistle:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:37 am

woodduck wrote:Unless they're run dry :shifty: :whistle:

Well that’s your own fault then :teasing-neener:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby gsx913 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:33 pm

coffe addict wrote:The only benefit of two element is they can be run off separate circuits, so 2x2400w on most houses with out paying for bigger cables and sockets. Also the parts for building a controller are cheaper on lower wattage.
If you have bigger circuits/controller already or are happy to call a sparkie...

Ok, that makes sense. A lot of the 32a stuff is getting cheaper however. Not sure if I am allowed to post links to businesses, there are Australian stores online that sell the Clipsal-style 32a parts at a reasonable price e.g. less than $50 for an IP66 32a single phase outlet. You've also got the benefit of the IP rating as well.

The only parts in my setup that needed a higher amp rating were the contactors (mechanical relays) feeding the power and element switches and the wiring to the elements and control box. I've got PID control (in manual power output % mode) if I want to distill and the PID itself doesn't need to be rated at 32a as it doesn't draw that many amps.

If you look at the wiring diagrams here http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum ... hp?t=25393 you can see what parts are required with higher amperage and which ones aren't. I realise this is a brewing setup and there's a heap of other things here such as volt and amp meters, timers, etc. but the same principles apply for distilling with an electric element--uprated components for those parts of a circuit that draw high amps
Last edited by gsx913 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsx913

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:22 pm

If the business just sells elec gear like that then all good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Minpac » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:35 pm

I recently got two 20A clipsal Ip66 sockets installed by a sparky (bought the plugs and sockets in good nick from a sparky second hand). I also did up two 20A SSR controllers based on a widely available kit, which i had the sparky check. It wasn't cheap - but I don't get to do this hobby as often as I'd like, so i want it to be quick when I do. I use two 4500w LWD elements.

Depends on what you think is "breaking the bank"...... gsx913's number sounds about right for one - my two were about 15 metres away from the supply, but I provided the outlets. pm me if you're northside brisbane and looking for a sparky.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 pm

My only concern with 5000wt plus elements is ifn they stand a higher chance ta scorch or burn murky washs or any for that matter.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby gsx913 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:59 pm

hillzabilly wrote:My only concern with 5000wt plus elements is ifn they stand a higher chance ta scorch or burn murky washs or any for that matter.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

The Camco 02965 is 5500w, stainless steel (both element and base) and is ultra low watt density
gsx913

Postby coffe addict » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:21 am

The camco's are what I have and are lower watt density than the 2400w ones currently in my boiler.
coffe addict

Previous

Return to Electrical Hardware