Best Electrical option

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Best Electrical option

Postby Rajika » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:23 pm

I am starting a new project setting up a 200L pot still
Anyone’s recommendations on a element and controller setup that won’t break the bank and possibly be ex brisbane ?
Rajika

equipment: DIY reflux

Re: Best Electrical option

Postby Matt_Pl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:38 pm

The best Electrical Option is to contact a licenced electrician in your local area mate.

Now to take the stats with a grain of salt:

To take 200 litres of wash/water to boiling temperature with 7200 Watts (2 by 3600 elements) at 95% efficiency will take you 163 mins.

https://www.easycalculation.com/physics ... ulator.php

But bear in mind that 3600 elements require 15 amp independently wired circuits.

If you were to utilise 10 amp circuits (2400 watt elements) it would take you roughly 244 mins to boil.

In regards to power controllers you can build one and then get it checked by a local sparky prior to using, or you can search online. Speak to Andrew/Stig as % star Distilling may be stocking these in future and may be able to hook you up, if thats the case I wont be linking competitors products on this forum.

To get a more refined answer please provide more details.

Good luck.

Matt
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby coffe addict » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:03 pm

A nearly three hr heat up will drive you nuts. As very few houses are equipped with two separate 15amp plugs you're more than likely going to need to call a sparkie? If you do then why just get 15amp circuits you could for not much extra get two 25amp circuits.
2 x 5500w elements will give a much more reasonable heat up time.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Rajika » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Hmmmm ... this is a harsh reality , the reason I am considering switching to electric is I’m currently tapping my foot for 3 hrs to get to boil with gas with a massive 4 ring burner ..... open to suggestions legends :pray:
Rajika

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:53 pm

try a smaller boiler, 200L is a bit more than hobby size...
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Matt_Pl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:09 pm

There is something way off with this OP.

Cheers,

Matt.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby Professor Green » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Doubleuj wrote:try a smaller boiler, 200L is a bit more than hobby size...

:text-+1:

I find my 100 litre boiler is more adequate for my needs.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Rajika » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 pm

The vessel came up at the right price and ticks allot of boxes, size unfortunately wasn’t one of them. I was thinking about reducing its size as a last option .....
Rajika

Postby Rajika » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Pic for reference
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rajika

Postby Professor Green » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Probably should have done a bit more research first!

The comment "patch rust hole" on the body of the boiler is cause for concern.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RC Al » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Only 1/2 fill it?
Easiest option
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby db1979 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:33 pm

If the elements are low down there is no reason a boiler can't be run with a much lower volume of wash. Don't bother reducing the size of a boiler, just put less in.

Beaten by RC

Rust is a concern.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Matt_Pl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:26 pm

So is your reference pic the boiler you are wishing to convert to electric?

As previously mentioned you could mount your elements as low as possible. If the diameter of the bottom isn't wide enough just build a box section to hold your elements.

What available power circuits do you have?
Matt_Pl

Postby Rajika » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Stress less peeps, the upper section (from flanged rim above) is insulated or double skinned ,I’m guessing in its previous life the vessel was positioned through a gridmesh floor penetration. Sitting carbon steel on stainless over long period hot / cold temps dissimilar metals cause oxidisation long story short small on outer skin to flange underneath on out side. Inside is a clean as a whistle :whistle:

I suppose half filling is an option just means twice the effort tipping filling cleaning and cooking ... hence my query of an electrical boost.

Btw I have 3 phase and access to many leads industrial electrical connections ...
Rajika

Postby coffe addict » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:58 am

I'd be staying with gas, a three ring burner will be a reasonable heat up time. They can be run with a hp reg for faster heating and if you run into bottle freezing up you can split the feed over two bottles.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby db1979 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:29 pm

It could do with a heat shroud too if running on gas.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:56 am

Would using gas create problems being too big for domestic and need approvals.
wynnum1

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:11 pm

I would prolly go 4 by 2inch ferrules TIG welded to the boiler ,which come with the FSD element and guards ,then 2 by 3600wt elements and 2 by 2400 wt elements ,but only wire half of one of the 2400wt elements(by removeing the bridging plates) so it runs at 1200wt.That will give several power level options and ifn that's not fine enough then go a controller on one of the 3600wt elements.And another 2inch ferrule for a drain . Cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby adam89 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:26 am

Hi Rajika,

That is a nice looking boiler.

Lots of good advice so far, especially Hillzabilly's suggestion of wiring 1 element at 1200W. Electric elements would be the most efficient heating option.

What I will suggest is what I would install if I was called in to do the job. This is if you have a permenant distilling area. Install a 3ph 10mm supply from your main DB to a sub board close to your designated area. From this sub board you can install dedicated 2 x 15A circuits and 2 x 10A circuits (assuming 4 elements) This would be your most economical set-up in the long run. I would also recommend heavy duty plugs (Clipsal 56 series) not the cheap bunnings stuff, they are about $15 more.

Of course you can lessen the amount of elements / cabling /expense but then you increase your heat up time. You need to work out what you prioritise, cost VS time.

* Advice is only suggested and length of runs and inspection of premise would need to be conducted prior to final confirmation.
Last edited by adam89 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
adam89

equipment: 2" Pot Still (Mac Built)
4" 5 Plate Modular Copper Bubbler (Mac Built)
50L Boiler on Gas
50L Boiler with 2x2400W element

Postby gsx913 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:32 pm

adam89 wrote:Hi Rajika,

That is a nice looking boiler.

Lots of good advice so far, especially Hillzabilly's suggestion of wiring 1 element at 1200W. Electric elements would be the most efficient heating option.

What I will suggest is what I would install if I was called in to do the job. This is if you have a permenant distilling area. Install a 3ph 10mm supply from your main DB to a sub board close to your designated area. From this sub board you can install dedicated 2 x 15A circuits and 2 x 10A circuits (assuming 4 elements) This would be your most economical set-up in the long run. I would also recommend heavy duty plugs (Clipsal 56 series) not the cheap bunnings stuff, they are about $15 more.

Of course you can lessen the amount of elements / cabling /expense but then you increase your heat up time. You need to work out what you prioritise, cost VS time.

* Advice is only suggested and length of runs and inspection of premise would need to be conducted prior to final confirmation.

Could you not do the same with a couple of 32a outlets? Had a 32a RCBO, cabling and outlet installed for $400 from memory, though I only have 1 outlet and my meter box is less than 5m from where I needed the outlet. I run a 5500w element off it.
gsx913

equipment: Pot still wanted

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware