Explosion Proof gear

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Explosion Proof gear

Postby tenorbrew » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:47 am

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has gone down the route of upgrading their lighting or other electrical equipment with explosion proof equipment suitable for hazardous areas.

What did you install and where did you get it?

Was wondering about it the other night as the top of my CCVM column reaches almost to my fluoro lights on the ceiling of my shed. Am considering moving and upgrading my lighting fixtures to something safer.

I’d also like to find an (ex proof) agitator for agitating the still contents for added efficiency.
tenorbrew

equipment: 50L electric keg, 2" pot still. Building a 3" CCVM.

Re: Explosion Proof gear

Postby Wellsy » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:15 pm

Hello Tenor
Why don’t you pop into the welcome centre and tell us all a little about yourself.
The gear you have, what you are trying to make, how long you been distilling.
Sorry I can’t help answer your question as I did not know this sort of stuff existed much less whether I should use it or not. Hopefully someone can help you
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby iOnaBender » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:56 am

Tenor,

You are discarding your foreshots?

If your fluro lights are getting close to ethanol ignition temp of 365degC you have big issues. Everything in your light fitting is contained and isn’t an issue imho. Upgrade to LED fittings is all you need, knock yourself out if you want to zone your still area. IIA T2 should see you through!

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby indenial » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:06 pm

Preface all this with - I am not a sparky.

I used to work with EX gear on drilling rigs.
It really is your last line of defence. Distance, ventilation and alarms were all more important in that line of work.

Iona knows more about light fittings than me. I would've thought your main risk is water/alcohol vapour condensing in the fitting and creating a short. Apparently highly unlikely???
If the fitting is moved away from your CCVM reflux condenser, you've just about removed that possibility. Maybe outdoor rated would lower the risk even further?
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Postby iOnaBender » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:35 pm

Guys,

A flourescent light fitting creates heat from the tube and the ballast within the enclosure of the light fitting. This acts as a natural condensate heater, due to this the light fitting is always above the dew point of ethanol or water and will not form vapour/water droplets inside the fitting. In realalty you turn your shed lights on and then start your heat up stage for a run, the time between the light fitting getting energised, "heat soaked" and vapour being produced from the still is more than enough time to raise the light fitting temperature above the dew point of water and ethanol.
Unless your light fitting has a poor connection to the power supply terminals the only spark produced is at the light switch when it switches the load on (shed lighting).

And yes @indenial, using outdoor/weatherproof fittings is the best practice in any shed for piece of mind.

Just to clarify I am an E&i electrician with 30+ years of experience in the trade, I also hold a Hazardous Area (HA) qualification and Type B gasfitting licence. I haven't blown anything up yet! :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by iOnaBender on Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iOnaBender
Site Donor

125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby tenorbrew » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:46 pm

Thanks iOna!

This is exactly the sort of quality information I was looking for.

Cheers!

iOnaBender wrote:Guys,

A flourescent light fitting creates heat from the tube and the ballast within the enclosure of the light fitting. This acts as a natural condensate heater, due to this the light fitting is always above the dew point of ethanol or water and will not form vapour/water droplets inside the fitting. In realalty you turn your shed lights on and then start your heat up stage for a run, the time between the light fitting getting energised, "heat soaked" and vapour being produced from the still is more than enough time to raise the light fitting temperature above the dew point of water and ethanol.
Unless your light fitting has a poor connection to the power supply terminals the only spark produced is at the light switch when it switches the load on (shed lighting).

And yes @indenial, using outdoor/weatherproof fittings is the best practice in any shed for piece of mind.

Just to clarify I am an E&i electrician with 30+ years of experience in the trade, I also hold a Hazardous Area (HA) qualification and Type B gasfitting licence. I haven't blown anything up yet! :laughing-rolling:
tenorbrew

equipment: 50L electric keg, 2" pot still. Building a 3" CCVM.

Postby Amberale » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:58 pm

iOnaBender wrote:Guys,
I haven't blown anything up yet! :laughing-rolling:

C'mon, tell the truth.
Even as a kid I used to keep my bonfire night crackers and make little quarries and canals to blow up. :)

No desire to continue as an adult.
:)
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby RC Al » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:20 pm

Bonfire night..
Heehehe, Bwah ha ha ha
So as a pre teen i could walk into many different places (newsagents, corner stores and so forth) and buy fireworks for about 3 months of the year around "cracker night"
OMG the stuff we did.. We stopped using a pvc pipe to fire cheap 5/$1 rockets at each other when one flew between someones much younger brothers legs and exploded about 2ft behind..... ( We "just missed" his nads, This is how we learned stuff back in the day :)) )

The Tom Thumb, a tiny little 3/4" long cracker that came daisy chained in 1-200 packs were the best, we would would seperate them out and throw them at each other as a game, when they went off, it was a 2" ball of white explosion, they worked out at around a cent or so each in the early eighties, affordable by all lols.

That said i remember a few going off inches from my fingers... They are all still there... But there are a few who weren't so fortunate.... Many a tale of missing fingers was told ..

-Expletive- pansies these days :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by RC Al on Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby The Stig » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:12 am

The good old days when we had to take ownership of our own actions.
The poor little green toy soldiers that suffered many a Tom Thumb attack :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:48 am

The Stig wrote:The good old days when we had to take ownership of our own actions.
The poor little green toy soldiers that suffered many a Tom Thumb attack :laughing-rolling:

I preferred a magnifying glass
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby iOnaBender » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:03 pm

Mmmm, there may or may not have been some pipe bombs manufactured in the old man’s shed with gun powder used to blow up rabbit warrens…. :D

Then worked out it was much more fun to buy a big f#%k off pole cat ferret at the local market and shove it into the warren! No nets, just stand there with the automatic beretta shotgun and smoke em as they flew out of the holes. Transport was a 10 speed push bike with handle bars rotated to use as a gun rack, a pack rack on the back with 1/4 to 1/2 a case of shotgun shells and ferret cage strapped on top……ahhh, those were the days.
Now you wouldn’t get out of your street without the jacks bearing down on you! Growing up in the country was awesome

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Amberale » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:20 pm

iOnaBender wrote:Mmmm, there may or may not have been some pipe bombs manufactured in the old man’s shed with gun powder used to blow up rabbit warrens…. :D

Then worked out it was much more fun to buy a big f#%k off pole cat ferret at the local market and shove it into the warren! No nets, just stand there with the automatic beretta shotgun and smoke em as they flew out of the holes. Transport was a 10 speed push bike with handle bars rotated to use as a gun rack, a pack rack on the back with 1/4 to 1/2 a case of shotgun shells and ferret cage strapped on top……ahhh, those were the days.
Now you wouldn’t get out of your street without the jacks bearing down on you! Growing up in the country was awesome

Cheers

Yes indeedy.
My jacket pockets were ripped out and my big ass ferret used to go in and lie around my back.
Not much more
exciting than listening to rabbits thump and waiting to see which holes they would come out of.
One man sport though.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Return to Electrical Hardware