Wiring a two terminal 2400w element

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Wiring a two terminal 2400w element

Postby Rumblepants » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:14 am

Hi Guys,

I have a two terminal 2400w element I need wired up.

I’ve a bit of electrical experience and I’m planning to have the wiring checked over by a sparky.

My plan is to wire neutral and live to the terminals and then secure earth to the casing via the earth nut.

I will then seal it up with heat shrink.

Any other tips?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Re: Wiring a two terminal 2400w element

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:16 pm

You will generally find everyone is reluctant to offer electrical advice because if it goes wrong people often die. Get your sparky to double check everything you do. I would suggest not heat shrinking anything until after he is happy with what will be under the shrinking mate.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Rumblepants » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:46 am

Wellsy wrote:You will generally find everyone is reluctant to offer electrical advice because if it goes wrong people often die. Get your sparky to double check everything you do. I would suggest not heat shrinking anything until after he is happy with what will be under the shrinking mate.

Yeah I thought that might be the case.

Anyone know of a friendly sparky near Coburg Melbourne?
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:51 pm

Advice........crimp your lead end with ring terminal decent quality not 50c per 100 ebay ones. Supacheap will do.
Screw terminals down tight so they cant move or touch. Earth body as you said. Check your earth using continuity test. Make sure there is good connection and continuity to boiler while empty...take to sparky get him to sign off. If its tagged then you may still get insurance in worst case scenario....
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Lowie » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:56 pm

bluc wrote:Advice........crimp your lead end with ring terminal decent quality not 50c per 100 ebay ones. Supacheap will do.
Screw terminals down tight so they cant move or touch. Earth body as you said. Check your earth using continuity test. Make sure there is good connection and continuity to boiler while empty...take to sparky get him to sign off. If its tagged then you may still get insurance in worst case scenario....

What he said!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Return to Electrical Hardware