how will it run? no controller

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

how will it run? no controller

Postby guerd87 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:28 am

Im only a short distance from doing my first run. CUB keg, JayD 2" pot still, Mac 2400W Element.

How can I expect my product to come out with no power controller? Will my run smear too much or will it still be acceptable?

Question on wiring. How does everyone ground thier keg? Weld on a seperate ground post or just through where the element goes into the keg?

Any help will be appreciated :)

Cheers,
John
guerd87

equipment: 2" Pot Still over 50L Keg Boiler

Re: how will it run? no controller

Postby JayD » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:38 am

I dont use electricity to heat my keg up...but I do remember reading a comment by a member saying "before he had his controller he ran one element without a controller and it worked nicely" only fill your keg up to around 35 to 40 lts leaving plenty of headroom and if steam comes out of the liebig turn your water pressure up until it stops and all you have is clear distilate coming out....after a few runs you will be an old hand at it...remember do good cuts and dont be greedy. Keep safety paramount

here is a link to Kimbos comment about running only a 2400 watt element
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:01 am

I earthed my keg by using a ring crimp lug and putting a self tapping screw through the bottom ring of the keg. Hope that makes sense.

I started out with a 2" pot still and a 2400W element and it was a bit too fast. It was running at about 3.5L per hour when you really only want 2-2.5L per hour on a 2" pot. The product was still ok, just a bit too much smearing, infact I would still prefer to drink it over bundy rum. You will just have to be pretty tough with your cuts and you will find you will get less final product after cuts. Don't worry about wasted product though, keep all your feints and when you run them you will get heaps of it back.

Also time on oak will hide a multitude of sins, it will just need a bit more time than usual.

I guess what I'm saying is don't let the fact you don't have a power controller stop you. You can still make a better product than commercial stuff with out one and it is a damn sight cheaper.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Tsv Stiller » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:45 am

Hi Mate,

I have pretty much the exact same setup as you, check out "the story so far" i think there is a pic that shows the earth wiring on my keg. I have done three strip runs now and found she strips very well and fast once up to heat. I cant comment on the quality of the product because i have waited until i got my voltage controller sorted, will actually be doing my first spirit run this afternoon.

I imagine stripped and cut product would still be quite drinkable but the ability to do the slow spirit one will provide a better more high quality product in the end. At least that's my understanding anyway, i plan on knocking back a glass straight of the still tonight so i will let you know.

I will be posting more about my controller setup and the great folks on here who helped me get it sorted, turned out to be very easy for a qualified elecy of course.

Cheers
Tsv Stiller

equipment: 2" Pot still (JayD Special)
50 liter Keg boiler
2400w electric element with Voltage controller

Postby Tsv Stiller » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:48 am

Just checked and there isnt a photo that shows it, however mine is done exactly the same as what dominator said.
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby JayD » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:54 am

Tsv Stiller wrote:Hi Mate,

I have pretty much the exact same setup as you, check out "the story so far" i think there is a pic that shows the earth wiring on my keg. I have done three strip runs now and found she strips very well and fast once up to heat. I cant comment on the quality of the product because i have waited until i got my voltage controller sorted, will actually be doing my first spirit run this afternoon.

I imagine stripped and cut product would still be quite drinkable but the ability to do the slow spirit one will provide a better more high quality product in the end. At least that's my understanding anyway, i plan on knocking back a glass straight of the still tonight so i will let you know.

I will be posting more about my controller setup and the great folks on here who helped me get it sorted, turned out to be very easy for a qualified elecy of course.

Cheers

off topic
Dont foret to water it down and take it from the very middle of your cuts or one cut either side is generaly the best...I did one through a bubbler the other night and the best on was one off center...it made me salivate when I smelt it... back on topic, yes they are made to the same specs
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:36 pm

i have similar set up to you.

yes smearing occurs, sometimes more then others- why this is, who knows, (maybe ambient temperature has a role, i dont know). i have done single dwwg runs, and produced a nice product. it is up to personal preference. if you are happy with the product you make, who cares about a voltage controller.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby wedwards » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Yeah what Andy said. I've made some really really good stuff without a controller on a pot still. My father on law made me a controller recently and I'm waiting for opportunity to give it a go, however everyone who has tasted my product doesn't believe I made it so I would say controller is not mandatory for making good stuff. Just gotta be ruthless with cuts.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:58 pm

A controller will allow you run slower which will reduce smearing which will give you a bigger hearts cut.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby guerd87 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks for all the replies

Neat idea on the earth! Why didnt I think of that lol. I will just see how my product tastes and then go from there with a controller.

Cheers,
John
guerd87

Postby guerd87 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:25 pm

First run today!

4" SSG was fitted the other day. I used a Jaycar alloy project box as an element guard. I drilled the same size hole in it as the keg and threaded the element into it. Wired it up with sufficient 15A cabline through a waterproof grommet.

Charged with 20L of water and let it sit for a few hours to check for leaks.

Fitted the still on top and let her rip. Got hot very quick but stalled oce getting upto heat. Was getting hot half way up pot still but no more. Ended up having to bring the still inside as it was late arvo and was fetting quite cold outside. Within 30seconds of moving it inside it filled the column and started steamimg out the condenser. Success!

Laying down a batch of wash this week.

John
guerd87

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:47 pm

guerd87 wrote:Charged with 20L of water and let it sit for a few hours to check for leaks.

Fitted the still on top and let her rip. Got hot very quick but stalled oce getting upto heat. Was getting hot half way up pot still but no more. Ended up having to bring the still inside as it was late arvo and was fetting quite cold outside. Within 30seconds of moving it inside it filled the column and started steamimg out the condenser. Success!

Don't worry too much about that, a ethanol/water mix will boil off a lot easier :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Tsv Stiller » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:22 am

From a noob's perspective, i had done three strip runs as i had no controller but i still separated the run and made dummy cuts as practice for when i could do my spirit run. After three strip runs other than the first couple and the last couple of jars i found it very hard to distinguish where the heads finished-hearts started-tails started by smell alone.

Now that i have control over the heat and can wind it back for my spirit run the heads and tails stand out like dogs balls, it is really a very distinct difference the hearts for me smell almost like nothing or clean and each side of the hearts you can smell something different or the smear. My novice explanation would be the heads closest to the hearts are almost tempting, you can smell something in it but its not bad, The tails are just rank and there is no way you would want any of it in your hooch.

For me already i can see the benefit of having a controller because i can separate the elements of the run more effectively and in turn keep the shit out of my product, i suppose its harder to explain but when you do it you will understand.

Cheers
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby Sam. » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 am

Tsv Stiller wrote:
Now that i have control over the heat and can wind it back for my spirit run the heads and tails stand out like dogs balls, it is really a very distinct difference the hearts for me smell almost like nothing or clean and each side of the hearts you can smell something different or the smear. My novice explanation would be the heads closest to the hearts are almost tempting, you can smell something in it but its not bad, The tails are just rank and there is no way you would want any of it in your hooch.

Wait until you run a bubbler :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Electrical Hardware