Variac to control temp in Air cooled Still

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Variac to control temp in Air cooled Still

Postby Farmhand » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi guys I was wondering does anyone else use a variac to control the power to the heater element of the Air cooled stills. I have a small 4 and a bit liter one and it uses 700 Watts right through which I think is too much heat too quick.

So here is what I did, i got a regular power cable and used that to run the shaded pole induction fan at full mains voltage pressure 240 volts so no power control to the fan, it has it's own plug so that is easy with another standard power cable for it, then I use a 750 VA variac to adjust the voltage to the heating element so I then have full control of the heating power, I bring it up to temp at 700 Watts for 20 minutes, then drop the voltage to about 140 volts, the heating element has 81 Ohms resistance so with 140 volts divided by 81 gives 1.72 amps at 140 volts so 1.72 x 140 = 241 Watts, and it seems to put out better alcohol like that, it comes out cooler and slower, and I think i can see the phase changes ( cuts), also the cooling air with the full 700 Watts is about 50 degrees or more but with the lower power the cooling air is a lot cooler. I think this particular air cooled still is designed for no fuss water distilling, not for alcohol. It runs too hot for my liking with the full 700 Watts of heating power all through. I like to control my stuff, hands on way. As soon as I get a better still delivered and build another very big one i'll be set, I'm a boilermaker and have some equipment a TIG welding machine and stuff. But I am afflicted with bad back and neck problems so my progress into projects can be slow and stall at times unfortunately. I can't work so I must do something to keep my mind focused and engaged. And here I am, learning another skill to add to my growing list of things to learn how to do that I always wanted to learn but had no time. Now I have some time I wanna learn how to make good likker. :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
Farmhand

equipment: Air still and pot still

Re: Variac to control temp in Air cooled Still

Postby bayshine » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Sounds good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And welcome to the crew
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:33 am

I farmhand,
wow, i have never thought of power control on an airstill, I m glad you are having success with it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Farmhand » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:05 am

Yes well i bought the Air cooled still because if it is not much use for alcohol it will still be good for producing soft water no fuss. My ferment is slowing and I got another still double the size sent from china an all stainless one through ebay, - this one - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-Liters-Sta ... 3ec&_uhb=1

I'm not overly impressed by the thickness of the stainless, it uses a side column and seems to use a shotgun on top of the pot with a cooling tube as well, I mainly bought it to get idea's for when I build a larger one, but I think I will construct a large wood fired still like a stainless version of the one in this video, with the heat channel all around the bottom half of the still vessel. I want it to be at least 70 liters capacity, so I can run a whole 55 liter ferment from a 60-65 liter fermenting barrel.

Anyway I have two to play with now so I can compare how they output and how well I can regulate them. The Chinese still seems to work pretty well but the test I did was just a quick function test on a gas burner. I would prefer an electric heating element or a (remote tank) liquid fuel-mixed air burner to heat the still, not fussed on gas/propane.

However a variac to control a couple of thousand whats would be very expensive, I already had the one I use on the air still and it's only just capable of handling the power. We've got oodles of solar power to run the elements.

I'll do at least a few runs through the air still while controlling it with the variac to see how convenient it is. Our time is quite valuable (not necessarily money wise) if we keep busy.

If it works fairly well and is kinda convenient I'll make a video clip to show it in action, just in case it might help someone who has just an Air cooled still. I've only done one test run with the control using a small weak wash from some average flat beer, but got some nice spirit from it, very easy on the mouth.

Cheers

P.S. I keep getting logged out, so I must copy the post to the clipboard before attempting to post or I lose the message.

Farmhand

Postby Farmhand » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:55 am

Forgot link to Popcorn Sutton video with wood fired furnace still.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp56sT66D1U

Farmhand

Return to Electrical Hardware