element what type wire

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

element what type wire

Postby greenguy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:39 am

what size wire should i run 15amp or 10 amp
and do i need special wire for heat so it don't melt will get my step dad to wire em up i just need to get the stuff before i c him so i dont have to drive back and forth
cheers
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Re: element what type wire

Postby newbiboozer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:52 am

Don't fuck with 240 volts mate if you don't know you shouldn't be doing it. Get an electrician to do it mate.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Dominator » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:00 am

I would not be using a cable rated at less than 15A. I reccomend using 2.5mm2 which is rated at 20A. You dont need special wire however you do need to use 'flex' or flexable cable, it is the stuff that is like an extension lead, the wire has heps of little copper strands, not the flat white stuff which has 7 copper strands for each wire. Flex is usualy grey, but if you can find the orange stuff it is heavy duty and is even better. If you do it your self make sure you have it checked and tested by a QUALIFED electrician. Getting the wiring wrong could result in your whole keg being live which is less than ideal. Like newbie said, your really best to give it to a sparky to do the job.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby AussieAndy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:30 am

I used a 2.5mm2 flex rated too 180 degrees, it was a little bit dearer than the standard grey/ black but I know it won't melt, plus, you only need one meter so for $7.50 who cares, 240v can and will kill
AussieAndy

equipment: 2" pot still done....... What next??

Postby crow » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:31 am

Jeez I really fucking hate reading this shit, some one from these threads is going to be dead one day just a matter of time.
GET YOUR SHIT CHECKED BY A SPARKY
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:50 am

Yeah Sure thing crow :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Basically if you dont already know what's needed to wire up 240 volts it's not worth stuffing around with, the last thing anyone here wants to read about is someone getting hurt from a mistake, or misunderstanding instructions, so I think newibies & Dominators advice in this thread is spot on.

Keep yourselves safe guys, please :pray:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Frothwizard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:17 pm

I agree with everything that is said here however, if I'm reading it right, the OP was asking what type of wire so that his sparky mate could actually do it...assuming his uncle was a sparky of course.

I can kind of sympathize because I too had to get some cable and an plug for my 2400W element and I asked a sparky what cable I would need and was told a 10A would be fine from the hardware store. Upon reading this forum, I'm starting to think maybe I should have gotten a 15A lead instead and maybe the guy i'm getting to do the job isn't the most knowledgeable.

As the son of an electrician, there's no way in hell I'm going near 240V.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby djfrestyla » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:46 pm

same from me,
my brother in law is a sparky, but if i was getting him to do any work, i go and buy the cable / switches for him first, so asking what size cable to use is not a unreasonable request.
When it comes time to build a controller, i can use the wiring diagrams off here, and the info to buy all parts needed, but my bro in law will do all the wiring up / testing.
djfrestyla

equipment: Nixon Stone, Valve reflux on a 55L electric keg (retired)
2"Pot Still (retired)
4"Copper Bubbler, W/Lava Packed section.

Postby Kimbo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:24 pm

greenguy wrote:what size wire should i run 15amp or 10 amp
and do i need special wire for heat so it don't melt will get my step dad to wire em up i just need to get the stuff before i c him so i dont have to drive back and forth
cheers

Hi GG, I'm assuming that your step dad is a qualified sparky?
If so, ask him what you will need. He should know better than all of us :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby greenguy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Dont stress step dad is a sparkie by trade but he dont know what temp the wire's are going to get
do i need high temp or normal stuff he can sort out if it needs to be ten amp or 15 i don't muck with things with wires dont like things that can give me the zap
cheers
Last edited by greenguy on Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greenguy

Postby punchy21 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:34 pm

V90 should be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Always go heavier that way you know you are right
my first still I went light and was always concerned when the lead was warm this one went 15 amp now no problems
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby greenguy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:05 am

off to get the wire guys
cheers for all ya help how many core does it need to be 5 core 3 core
greenguy

Postby 8-ball » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:28 am

Mate u want 2.5mm^2 2 core and earth flex cable

Cable isnt measured In amps guys otherwise dodgy/tight ass sparkys would be using 1.5mm (lighting) cable for power circuits as itcan take about a 17amps depending on how its run
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby greenguy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:20 am

yea my fuck up that one i got 3 core :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: way to thick guess ill go back
that stuff is thick trying to get my head around it guess couldn't c a plug that would fit the 15amp and 20 amp plugs are way to big for my extension leads fuck big ups to the sparkies out there one job i deff could not do for a living
greenguy

Postby greenguy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 am

Do you guys earth the keg separate or is the earth on the element guards surfice i just want to get this done rite with minimal chance of a zap kinda scaring me as i have all ways run on gas im going to c the sparkie tomorrow to get my head around all this stuff gota stop reading into it to much i think
greenguy

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:25 am

Just use the earth point on the guard, once you clamp it on the whole boiler becomes earthed :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby greenguy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:28 am

MacStill wrote:Just use the earth point on the guard, once you clamp it on the whole boiler becomes earthed :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cool thanks Mac
greenguy

Postby greenguy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:35 am

8-ball wrote:Mate u want 2.5mm^2 2 core and earth flex cable

Cable isnt measured In amps guys otherwise dodgy/tight ass sparkys would be using 1.5mm (lighting) cable for power circuits as itcan take about a 17amps depending on how its run

im guessing this is no ware near as thick as the 2.5mm2 3 core i just got its thick as a mofo could only get a 20 amp plug that would fit and the pins were to big to fit in my extension leads guess i need to run a 10 amp plug to go on the end of the new wire to fit all my extension leads as i wont be plugging strait into the wall sockets and the 20 amp plugs would need a bigger socket
greenguy

Postby AussieAndy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:57 am

I know everyone is saying sparky, get it done by a sparky, check by sparky, etc, etc. I had a mate who is a sparky come over for a BBQ and got him to tell me how to hook it up, I did it and he checked it, all good. The tip he did give me to get the 2.5mm flex to fit in a 10amp plug was to drop the rubbery plastic bits that need to stretch over the wire into a coffee cup of boiling water, lets the stretch over the shielding on the cable and when it cools it makes a really really good seal. Hope that helps a little. But yeah, make sure you know it is definitely hooked up right. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
AussieAndy

equipment: 2" pot still done....... What next??

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware