Heat Control

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Heat Control

Postby marvinmarsh » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi All,

Been thinking last few days about controlling temperature on my keg. Only made neutrals so far and want to have a go at pot stillin.

The 2 x 2400w elements go good on the boka, but not sure how they will go with a pot still. My good mate is sparky and recommended this for temp. control on the elements.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-KYOTTO-AC-S ... 0617185%26

My thinkin, instead of frickin round with that is to get one of these, can still use the ac for heat up, then kill it once it is bubbling
http://www.bunnings.com.au/gasmate-2-ri ... 2_p3170720

So my question is, firstly do I need more temperature control for the pot still over the boka?
Which way to go gas or ac element controller?

Cheers to All
Marv
marvinmarsh

equipment: 50L SS Keg with 2 x 2400w elements
3 " Boka and 3" SS pot w/ 2" shotty

Re: Heat Control

Postby punchy21 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:09 pm

If you have the elements already installed then I'd go the relay option, purely for the flexibility and simplicity

Although I have never run gas so I'm a bit biased...
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:38 pm

whats the lowest ABV you can produce with the boka? is it possible to unpack it?
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Dominator » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:49 am

Personally I would go for the relay, but like punchy, I am biased. You will also need a heat sink to go with the relay.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby marvinmarsh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:32 am

Andy wrote:whats the lowest ABV you can produce with the boka? is it possible to unpack it?

Errr I.... dunno about lowest ABV. I am still only new to this. So far I been strippin TPW x3 down to 20-30% then doing a slow spirit run.

Yes, I could unpack the column. But figured a dedicated pot still to be a better option. Figured the gas would be alternative it the power bill skyrockets and the Mrs blows her top.

Floated the idea on putting the boka head on a short column as well.

Just weighing up the options at this stage.
marvinmarsh

Postby marvinmarsh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and bought the SSR and a heatsink.

Being a newbie the gas could be a disaster.

Cheers
Marv
marvinmarsh

Return to Electrical Hardware