Hot plug

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Hot plug

Postby cattery » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:10 am

Hey yo

I have recently completed my first test heat up of my still.
I have a 50lt keg running off 2 x 2400w macstill elements.
It only came to the boil for 10 mins (took 20 mins to get there) on a 30lt charge.
But i noticed when i turned off the power and unplugged it the two "hot" terminals on the plug were, well, actually hot to the touch and the wall socket's were warm as well.

Is this something i should worry about?

I have a volt controller so will this be an issue when i do a real run and only use one element on a lower voltage for the majority of the run?

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
cattery

equipment: jayD 2" Boka/pot and 50lt keg

Re: Hot plug

Postby punchy21 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:33 am

Do you have 2 x 2400W elements running off 1 outlet??
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby the Doctor » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:19 am

Yes Cattery this is something to be concerned about...in short while many electrical fittings are rated for the amperage you are using. The continuous long term use of them can lead to failure...For instance I recently had a failure of two plugs and relays which were rated at 20 amps...I was only pulling 15 amps through them, however as my Electrician kindly explained that, as I was doing that 8 hours a day 5 days a week. The continuous usage and constant heavy load caused a melt down... The result could have easily caused a fire or an explosion given the quantity of azeotrope nearby. We are now upgrading the whole system. Please consult an electrician, and do not dismiss hot plugs. The resulting fire can really ruin your day. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby cattery » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:08 am

I'll get the sparky out again to have another check of the system.
They are running off two seperate outlets on different circuits.
cattery

Postby punchy21 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:54 am

cattery wrote:I'll get the sparky out again to have another check of the system.
They are running off two seperate outlets on different circuits.

Ahh phew, good to hear :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Getting a sparky to have a look is the best way to go...
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby cattery » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:55 am

Well the sparky came around and checked all the element connections.
All good with the connections and the plugs.
The fault was with the cheap chinese outlet, he said that it wasnt connecting to the pins properly so he replaced it.

He said it will get warm but should not get hot. And that the plug may deteriorate over time and too keep an eye out for signs of wear.

I told him it was a water boiler on the phone but when he turned up he took one look at it and says "is that a still" "um yeah" :? so he pulls out his phone and said he has one too and showed me some pics.

It has surprised me that there are so many people doing this he is the third random distiller i've come across in my journey so far.

Cheers
cattery

Postby Smbjk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:01 pm

cattery wrote:Well the sparky came around and checked all the element connections.
All good with the connections and the plugs.
The fault was with the cheap chinese outlet, he said that it wasnt connecting to the pins properly so he replaced it.

He said it will get warm but should not get hot. And that the plug may deteriorate over time and too keep an eye out for signs of wear.

I told him it was a water boiler on the phone but when he turned up he took one look at it and says "is that a still" "um yeah" :? so he pulls out his phone and said he has one too and showed me some pics.

It has surprised me that there are so many people doing this he is the third random distiller i've come across in my journey so far.

Cheers

Wow I wish I could have someone to talk to my apprentices just roll their eyes and say " when do we get some chef" ahhh never :D
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby cattery » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Yeah whenever i meet some one it's always interesting.
cattery

Return to Electrical Hardware