Heat control on t500 boiler

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: Heat control on t500 boiler

Postby Mr Four Square » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Skip the meter. This is what I've been using on my T500' for a couple of years now. They are only 1800 watts so the power meter can easily handle it.

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Monitoring/Power-Meters/Mains-Power-Meter/p/MS6115

Doesn't get much easier. Plug your controller in., wind the dial , read the wattage , let her rip. Wattage is easier to get your head around than volts or amps. No conversions , a wide scale and easier to relate directly to heat. Once you work out the sweet spot just return to it.

I've never used a fan on mine either. Usually slow run on round 300 watts and it's never run hot. The rest of my set up is pretty much like yours. EBay controller, plastic box and a cut up extension cord.
Mr Four Square

equipment: T500 Boiler 2"pot head + reflux

Postby thedarkmesh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Mr Four Square wrote:Skip the meter. This is what I've been using on my T500' for a couple of years now. They are only 1800 watts so the power meter can easily handle it.

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Monitoring/Power-Meters/Mains-Power-Meter/p/MS6115

Doesn't get much easier. Plug your controller in., wind the dial , read the wattage , let her rip. Wattage is easier to get your head around than volts or amps. No conversions , a wide scale and easier to relate directly to heat. Once you work out the sweet spot just return to it.

I've never used a fan on mine either. Usually slow run on round 300 watts and it's never run hot. The rest of my set up is pretty much like yours. EBay controller, plastic box and a cut up extension cord.

Thanks for the Mr For Square. I got a Volt meter and get that Matt meter I can easily work out the Amps. In the end it really just volts x amps = watts
thedarkmesh

equipment: Turbo Boiler + 5 Star 4" Modular Still

Postby Mr Four Square » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:49 am

The build and the buying are fun. Been there. Done that. Got an amp and a volt meter I don't use any more.

What do you plan to use the controller for? Water flow will control output in reflux mode. Are you planning on using it as a pot still? That's what I built my controller for.

Shiners would probably say we are missing the point entirely and should learn to read the output flow because that told them what they needed to know. I'm working on that too. Good luck with the build and the stilling.
Mr Four Square

equipment: T500 Boiler 2"pot head + reflux

Previous

Return to Electrical Hardware