control box advice

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

control box advice

Postby Smbjk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:06 am

Planing on building a control box but am a little unsure about the pieces I need so with as much research as I can I have found these components. If it is not to much bother can one of you super brains have a look at the components and point me in the right direction before I begin to order :D on another note I will be getting a sparky to go over my build. There is no way I would risk it :scared-eek:

Also the ssr has a heat sink so is the fan necesary if the box is well ventilated

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ball-Bearin ... 4ac87a9d58

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-50-220V-15A ... 337f741314

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-120V-240V-H ... 27bf4469bf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-250V-Analog- ... 9795451%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-State-Rel ... 9795451%26
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Re: control box advice

Postby JayD » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:09 am

JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Linny » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 am

that first scr ,,, i dont like them ,,, i cant understand how its rated at 15amps for 240v and only be 2000 watts ... Power formula states P=V*I which would be 3600watts ,, thats why i prefer the (SSR-25 VA) with a 500kohm potentiometer ...

EDIT : forgot to mention that there are 2 types of SSR's

SSR - 25 VA - uses a pot to adjust power - usually used in power controllers
SSR - 25 DA - uses a 12vdc triger (ie a PID) to adjust power - usually used in temp controllers mash tuns etc
Last edited by Linny on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Smbjk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks for that jayd. That is exactly were I did my resarch but I am just unsure of the componts I want to order. I know what I need to order but want to make sure the components are the correct specs for what I need
Smbjk

Control box

Postby JayD » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:18 am

Smbjk wrote:Thanks for that jayd. That is exactly were I did my resarch but I am just unsure of the componts I want to order. I know what I need to order but want to make sure the components are the correct specs for what I need

I do realise this...Only folks who are suitably qualified should offer advise to you in this case...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Smbjk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:23 am

JayD wrote:
Smbjk wrote:Thanks for that jayd. That is exactly were I did my resarch but I am just unsure of the componts I want to order. I know what I need to order but want to make sure the components are the correct specs for what I need

I do realise this...Only folks who are suitably qualified should offer advise to you in this case...

Thanks jayd safety first :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Brendan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:25 am

Hey mate, the link JayD posted from punchy21 is good. The one from Mac with his dual element controller is good too and lists the parts.

Firstly, the Fotek SCR you have listed is the wrong one. There are quite a few options, and the one you have listed is the DA model...if you look closely, the input is a low voltage DC signal...so this device is made for controlling the output AC with an extra low voltage (ELV) DC signal. From memory, the one you want is a VA model, but just look at the specs, you should be controlling it with a variable resistor (potentiometer), which will be printed on one of the sets of terminals.

I'm not sure about the AC motor 'dimmer' (dimmer is usually used with lighting :? ), but it looks very cheap...and it also is only rated to 2000w...so you'd only be able to run an element at 3/4 or it would pop (it may pop anyway :-D ). Is this just there as an option alongside the other SSR/SCR controller?

And yes, I would definitely recommend the fan in these boxes. While you have the big heat sinks and ventilation, you really want that fan moving the air through :handgestures-thumbupleft: I've used 2 fans in mine, one per heat sink...probably excessive though. :D

edit: Was posting same time as Linny. Same advice though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Smbjk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:46 am

Brendan wrote:Hey mate, the link JayD posted from punchy21 is good. The one from Mac with his dual element controller is good too and lists the parts.

Firstly, the Fotek SCR you have listed is the wrong one. There are quite a few options, and the one you have listed is the DA model...if you look closely, the input is a low voltage DC signal...so this device is made for controlling the output AC with an extra low voltage (ELV) DC signal. From memory, the one you want is a VA model, but just look at the specs, you should be controlling it with a variable resistor (potentiometer), which will be printed on one of the sets of terminals.

I'm not sure about the AC motor 'dimmer' (dimmer is usually used with lighting :? ), but it looks very cheap...and it also is only rated to 2000w...so you'd only be able to run an element at 3/4 or it would pop (it may pop anyway :-D ). Is this just there as an option alongside the other SSR/SCR controller?

And yes, I would definitely recommend the fan in these boxes. While you have the big heat sinks and ventilation, you really want that fan moving the air through :handgestures-thumbupleft: I've used 2 fans in mine, one per heat sink...probably excessive though. :D

edit: Was posting same time as Linny. Same advice though :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks brendan and linny :handgestures-thumbupleft: another question is maybe if I am running 2 2400 elements on a 3" bubbler maybe I wont need a controll box? 2 from heat up and one to run :think:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby znipa-x » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:07 am

znipa-x

Postby Smbjk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:13 am

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: don't know how I missed mac's dual element build. Everything there :angry-banghead: 8-}
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Brendan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:59 am

Smbjk wrote::angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: don't know how I missed mac's dual element build. Everything there :angry-banghead: 8-}

Yep, it's a good one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Smbjk wrote:
Thanks brendan and linny :handgestures-thumbupleft: another question is maybe if I am running 2 2400 elements on a 3" bubbler maybe I wont need a controll box? 2 from heat up and one to run :think:

Nah mate, I reckon you need more control than that...every 100W change makes a difference, so you need to learn how to run it finely...
Brendan

Postby Smbjk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Brendan wrote:
Smbjk wrote::angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: don't know how I missed mac's dual element build. Everything there :angry-banghead: 8-}

Yep, it's a good one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Smbjk wrote:

Nah mate, I reckon you need more control than that...every 100W change makes a difference, so you need to learn how to run it finely...

Control box it is :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Brendan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:06 pm

You only need to control one element...

I'm only going 2 so that I can heat up thicker washes on low heat without burning. ie. Slowly increasing both elements...greater surface area per Watt...
Brendan

Postby Smbjk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Brendan wrote:You only need to control one element...

I'm only going 2 so that I can heat up thicker washes on low heat without burning. ie. Slowly increasing both elements...greater surface area per Watt...

Yeah mate that was the plan to only control 1 element. Thanks for the tips bro :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

Control box

Return to Electrical Hardware