Temperature controlled hot plate

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Temperature controlled hot plate

Postby Spirits » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Hey guys, so it was brought to my attention that a thermostat controlled hotplate is not the most ideal heat source for a still (although I did manage to get it to work, I'm sure that it doesn't provide reliable results).
So now my question is, what is the best way to purchase/ make a temperature controlled heat source.
Ideally I'd like a hot plate style biz, because it means that I don't have to make any more holes, and makes it a little more collapsible. At the moment I have a 1600w breville hotplate, that does take a while to get my wash up to temperature, mainly I'm sure because it's always shutting off due to the thermostat. Am I better off;
a) buying something else
b)rewiring the hotplate i have (and what parts i need)
c) just use what I've got and not have 100% perfect results

Thanks for your time!
Spirits

equipment: 20L Pot still

Re: Temperature controlled hot plate

Postby AndyCapp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi Spirits,
Before looking at replacing your heat source I propose an experiment.

Try a run with the hotplate set at its Maximum setting from the beginning of the run right through to shut-down.

My reasoning is that the hotplate thermostat will be trying to reach 100'C but as your pot will be boiling at a lower temperature it will continue to heat continuously without switching on and off.

If the hotplate runs non stop without switching on and of then success and problem solved.

1600w is an appropriate size for your pot, so running full boar should give you a nice, steady trickle of product from your condenser. (off the top of my head approx. 1-1.5l per hour)

Don't worry about temperatures. At least not at this stage. More important is the need to have a constant heat input into the system. A smoothly running still will give you the best quality product.

Cheers,

AndyCapp
AndyCapp

equipment: Newbie to the Art of Distillation

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Totally agree with what andycap has said. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Sam. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:05 pm

Its worth a go but I reckon it probably depends more on what the hotplate temp is itself. Not sure if it would leave itself on the whole time :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Buy a power control from Mac and find a lecky to wire it to the element in your hot plate.Then when you upgrade you can use it on a keg or another boiler .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:13 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Its worth a go but I reckon it probably depends more on what the hotplate temp is itself. Not sure if it would leave itself on the whole time :think:

Yeah that's why I asked in the first place, I was pretty sure these type of hotplates cycled even at full noise....

I remember reading threads years ago elsewhere where they commonly use these things in the US, most seemed to agree modifying the wiring to bypass the thermostat was the go.

I'm not saying this is what to do, but just pointing out the info is out there somewhere, but buggered if I remember where 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Spirits » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 pm

From memory, when i ran it with a 10L wash of wine, it got up to 88 degrees. I think it may be a bit full on for a spirit run, but should be fine for stripping...
oooooooh yeah, i think that it does go on and off at full setting... If i bypassed the thermo and then put a potentiometer (or whatever it is to control temp) would that be better???

Are there any issues with running a device like this on full temp for a few hours? Surely there is a reason why the thermo cuts it out...
Spirits

Postby AndyCapp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:00 pm

It either works with your hotplate type or it doesn't. I simply thought it worth trying before spending money.

Bypassing the thermostat would certainly solve your problem. Just make sure you don't leave it running without a pot so it doesn't overheat. I personally would not bother with a power controller for a small hotplate, it's not running your still that hard.

Ignore your thermometer. You have no control of what it reads. Changing the power you apply to your still only changes the speed at which it runs. If it says 88'C at 1600W, it will still say 88'C at 2400W or even 10000W. The temperature is determined by the contents of your boiler not the heat you apply.
AndyCapp

equipment: Newbie to the Art of Distillation

Postby Spirits » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:28 am

All i mean is that if i put a power controller on it would give me a slow (better quality?) spirit run.
Spirits

Postby Spirits » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Well I'll give this run a go and then check out the results. But i like the idea of rewiring this hotplate with a temp control...
Spirits

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Qualified elec work test ,saw this is why http://www.eppingelectrical.com/2010/04 ... hocks.html
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Spirits » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:41 pm

I know enough about electricity to not bungle it up like that. My only concern would be if the hotplate can withstand those temperatures for elongated periods...
Spirits

Postby Spirits » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Just a quick question... Since on a thermo hot plate you can't control temperature... for a spirit run, would it not be a good idea to keep an eye on the temperature vs. liquid coming out to help better define the cuts (yes i know all all temperatures there is a blurring, but surely doing this is similar to having it set at a specific lower temperature...)
Spirits

Return to Electrical Hardware