Is this any good as a controller?

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Is this any good as a controller?

Postby Petulance » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Maybe you sparky-types can answer this.

I found this on the Jarcar website after searching fruitlessly for an already assembled controller.

I have 2 2400 watt elements (from Mac). I want to control one of them.

Do you recon this will do the job?

this is the link : http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3800

possible controller.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Re: Is this any good as a controller?

Postby punchy21 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:56 pm

Sorry mate that is 240V input and a variable 0-24VDC output...
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Petulance » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:57 pm

ahh .... bugger
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Beerfridge » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:34 pm

i use one of these ,they seem alright hasnt gone up in a puff of smoke yet :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1PCS-4000W-S ... 015&_uhb=1
Beerfridge

equipment: air still

Postby thegoose » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:33 pm

:text-+1:
Beerfridge I have the same and has been great 12 months and no problems
Have it wired up by a sparky in a box bobs your uncle
thegoose

equipment: Retired 2" boka
3" modular bubbler

Postby flamehawk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:48 pm

That looks like a nice unit there beer fridge. Think I'll be taking one of those should mine not work out.

Wish I had seen that earlier

Perhaps someone could start a sticky with possible options in it
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Postby mickiboi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:04 pm

Try these.

http://www.www.5stardistilling.com.au.com/store/product ... 54984.html

I have used lots of these to control commercial boiler output temperatures, room heaters, my aquarium, air conditioning compressors and soon my still boiler and ferment tank temperatures. Very cheap and never had one fail. They can be used in manual mode to set the output at say 80% or in auto mode where the PWM output is adjusted to keep the temperature constant. You can get them in relay output, analogue output (4-20mA/0-10VDC) or PWM to run a SSR. Different size temperature probes are available, 4" etc.

This is a good supplier too, I have ordered lots from him and never had a problem. As always get an electrician to wire it up for you if you aren't electrical/control savvy.

Mick
mickiboi

equipment: Alex25

Postby Beerfridge » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:54 pm

just curious what the wattage rating is on that unit ?
Beerfridge

equipment: air still

Postby mickiboi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:02 am

Beerfridge wrote:just curious what the wattage rating is on that unit ?

40 Amps. 10 Amps = roughly 2400 watts so 40A = 9600W. Always use a heatsink on SSR.
mickiboi

Postby mickiboi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:52 pm

If anyone is interested I built this for a friend years ago.

Theory of operation

1. Close power switch. Power Light ON. Power applied to LLC1 (Liquid Level Control 1).
2. If boiler is full R2 energised, if boiler is empty R3 energised. Only one of these can be energised at one time.
3. Boiler is full, R3 energised, boiler Full Lamp ON. Power is now available at START push button. C1 energised via Low Level Relay R3 being de-energised. Power available at SSR. Heater enabled lamp ON.
4. To start the system Push START button, power applied to R1. R1 is held energised permanently via self-holding contact in series with itself and the closed R3 contact. Power applied to TC1 and TC2. Temperature control now running. Heater lamp ON. SSR should be on 100%. TC2 valve should be fully closed.
5. Boiler will now heat up. As the boiler temperature increases above setpoint (SV) on TC1, the output of the PWM on the SSR will decrease to maintain the set value. This is reverse acting temperature control (RA). The temperature in the column now starts to rise. Depending on what the setpoint is on TC2 will determine what the 2 way valve position will be. TC2 is Direct Acting (DA), as the temperature goes above the setpoint the output will increase opening the valve allowing cooling water to flow through the condenser keeping the temperature constant. The more the temperature goes up the more cooling water will flow through the condenser.
6. You can change the boiler temperature or the condenser temperature independently of each other.
7. Should the boiler level drop too low R2 will de-energise and R3 will energise, Boiler Full Lamp will go off and Boiler Empty Lamp will be ON. C1 will de-energise and R1 will de-energise as R3 breaks this self-holding circuit. All temperature controls lose power shutting the system down.
8. To stop push the STOP button. This breaks the circuit to R1. Note that power is still available to the SSR as the boiler Low Level has not energised but the power to the temperature controllers is removed.

Remember these are PID controllers so the output will never be proprtional to the proportional band set in the controller. You may at different times have different output levels for the same setpoints.

As usual if you have no electrical or controls experience then GET SOMEONE THAT DOES HAVE build it for you. Shouldn't cost anymore than about 200 in parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mickiboi

Postby L'ambeq » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:10 am

Thats perfect!
L'ambeq

equipment: Potstill with surrounding waterjacket, digital controlled PID, SSR, 1kW element, 4L and 10L

Postby mickiboi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:18 pm

I have just found out they no longer make either of the temperature controller models in my drawing. So use these instead. Wiring remains the same.

http://www.www.5stardistilling.com.au.com/store/group/S ... 89279.html for the valve control.

and this

http://www.www.5stardistilling.com.au.com/store/product ... 84090.html for the heater control.

Both of these can be set for either RA or DA. Sestos make good products, I have used their timers before and never had any problems.

New drawing attached.

Mick
mickiboi

Postby 5 o'clock » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Ok so I have bought these from eBay

image.jpg

And this box from Bunnings.

image.jpg

My plan is for two independent circuits. I will mount things on the front panel of the box and place an internal divider in the box to keep fingers away from things that might hurt me. The rest of the box will be to store the extension cords in.

Do I need a solid state relay for each circuit as well (what do they do?) and a cooling fan for the box?

Once I have all the goods I will take it to my sparkie for him to put it together.

Appreciate any thoughts you can all add.

Cheers,

Richard
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby punchy21 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:16 pm

Its up to you how you want to run it. Most use 2 elements for start up only then switch one off once up to temp. So assuming you have 2400W elements then you probably don't "need" 2 SSR's. You can keep one as a spare?

I noticed you have an emergency stop switch also, just check it is rated for the load you intend to use it on. If you are using a contactor/relay then it will be fine, but if you are using 3600W elements then just make sure its rated for 15A or it may just weld itself closed. Your sparky should be all over it though... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby 5 o'clock » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks Punchy
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby APR » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:35 am

5 o'clock wrote:My plan is for two independent circuits. I will mount things on the front panel of the box and place an internal divider in the box to keep fingers away from things that might hurt me. The rest of the box will be to store the extension cords in.
Appreciate any thoughts you can all add.
Cheers,
Richard

G'Day Richard, If you run two independent circuits with each circuit designed to be able to draw 10 amp, I assume you will use two feed in power leads, each with a 10 amp male plug on the end. Is this correct?
APR

equipment: A couple of 2" boka stills with a few different concepts implemented in them.

Postby 5 o'clock » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi Apr,

That is exactly what I was planning, two leads in and out with independent control over each just mounted in the same box.

Richard
5 o'clock

Postby Chips Molasses » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Beerfridge wrote:i use one of these ,they seem alright hasnt gone up in a puff of smoke yet :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1PCS-4000W-S ... 015&_uhb=1

I just ordered one of these. Next to find a suitable element......
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby APR » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:29 am

Chips Molasses wrote:Next to find a suitable element......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300992473948
APR

equipment: A couple of 2" boka stills with a few different concepts implemented in them.

Postby MacStill » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:48 am

Chips Molasses wrote:Next to find a suitable element......

http://www.5stardistilling.net/boiler-accessories/

;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware