"Smart" Power distributor?

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

"Smart" Power distributor?

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:59 pm

A call to all the sparkies out there...

Is there a smart-hub for want of a better word that has multiple circuits as its input and is able to manage/balance the drawn current (ie 10.8kW from 3 x 3.6kW elements in a boiler :whistle: ) across the available circuits?

Am I overcomplicating it?

I do have 2 x 35kW circuits passing right past my brewhause for the heat pumps for the house, seems a shame I can't make use of these circuits when the heat pumps aren't being used via an isolation switch/power diverter switch. In Tasmania main power is wired to one meter and the heating is wired to another, from what I understand its illegal to use the heating tarrif connection for anything other than heating. Now while I am definetly heating I suspect there might be specific wording in the legislation stating it is for heating/cooling of a domicile...not for semi-industrial applications like what I have in mind.

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Re: "Smart" Power distributor?

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm not a sparky but if you get caught stealing power off a J tariif or the "controlled load" you will be more fucked than being caught distilling :scared-eek:

If you are concerned with the power get a licensed sparky to wire up what you want, if you have the available power going by your place you might as well use it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:40 pm

You are not my target audience :naughty: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

FYI I have no intention of doing anything electrical myself, I merely took the time to point out the various tariff issues in case the sparky responding was not familiar with Tasmanian legislation but thanks for your thoughtful words.

I have a sparky coming around next week and I didn't want to sound like a fool when I opened my mouth to him regarding a "smart box"...
I have a great number of circuits nearby, excluding the hot water tariff circuits and to me it makes sense to be able to make use of 3 or 4 different circuits via some amazing black box tech I'm not aware of yet.

If no such device exists he'll run a couple of 35A circuits down to my brewhaus for a hefty some and that will be that.
TheMechwarrior

100L boiler

Postby kelbygreen » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:48 pm

that would cost a fortune in wire costs your prob better off using 2 of the ones you have if they are seperate. I am no sparky but talked to my mate about it and there is alot more to consider then just putting in a 40amp circuit. You have to be able to have that avalible from the meter box then you have to run dedicated wires out that are alot thicker then standard wiring. My plan was to have a switch board (mini meter box) in the shed run 2x 20amp lines off and the lights.

Your sparky will surley be able to inform you what you can and cant do in your situation as every ones will be different. Or you put 3 phase on and prob buy a few of macs stills for that :laughing-rolling: 8-}
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Cheers,

I have 3 phase available at the meter box, I'm sure he'll come up with something :pray:
TheMechwarrior

100L boiler

Postby TheMechwarrior » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Lucky me, the sparky installing my solar panels will install an electrical sub board for me in the brewhaus for next to nought. The 3 phase for inverter has to go straight past anyway. Damn good timing. Massive boiler capable of 200L mash runs here I come!
TheMechwarrior

100L boiler

Return to Electrical Hardware