Is there any plug and play voltage controllers out there?

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Is there any plug and play voltage controllers out there?

Postby C2H6O » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:17 am

Hi guys, sorry if i'm rehashing something that has already been discussed but i have been unable to find this.
Does anyone use a plug and play voltage controller e.g. controller plug into wall outlet and has an outlet that an element can be plugged into?
Is this a feasible solution, or does not having the keg grounded pose an issue?

Cheers
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Re: Is there any plug and play voltage controllers out there

Postby Brendan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:52 am

I don't know about plug and play controllers as such, but your keg is grounded via the cord and plug on the element. So when it's plugged in, it is grounded with the mains through the controller...

I'm sure there would have to be a phase angle controller that suits the specs you want, but the price would be 5-10x what you could buy about 10 parts for and have someone else put them together for you. Don't have any sparky mates?
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Brigand » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Not aware of any reasonably priced off the shelf options

I knocked up a basic one from ebay parts here http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=933&start=20#p19193

It was fairly simple - diagram here http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=933&start=60#p27108

Think it cost about $7 for the controller, and $6 each for the voltmeter and ammeter plus the housing and a power lead

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:29 pm

I have one of these coming to test it at that price realy don't care if it works or not
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3800W-220-Vo ... 20c4345196
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby backyard brewdog » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:I have one of these coming to test it at that price realy don't care if it works or not

I've got one of these here laying around mate with a box that i didn't end up using if your interested mate. Only cost ya what it cost me + delivery. Only reason i never used it that I have a 3600 watt element and never occured to me at the time that i'd be pushing it close to its limits.

Shoot me a message if your keen mate
backyard brewdog

Postby 5 o'clock » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:44 pm

I don't know exactly what the description of the item means when it describes the controller....

But will this work?

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:45 am

backyard brewdog wrote:
Aussiedownunder01 wrote:I have one of these coming to test it at that price realy don't care if it works or not

I've got one of these here laying around mate with a box that i didn't end up using if your interested mate. Only cost ya what it cost me + delivery. Only reason i never used it that I have a 3600 watt element and never occured to me at the time that i'd be pushing it close to its limits.

Shoot me a message if your keen mate

Thanks for the offer mines on the way
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:46 am

5 o'clock wrote:I don't know exactly what the description of the item means when it describes the controller....

But will this work?

image.jpg

At $99 no thanks theres better out there
Aussiedownunder01

Postby C2H6O » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:37 am

Cheers for the input guys, lot of options, looks like building one seems to be the best option, Aussiedownunder and Backyard brew dog they look pretty good. Aussiedownunder what voltage element will you be running off yours? I'm looking at getting either the 5star 3600W Weldless or 2400W Weldless.
Does anyone run the 2400W? Is this sufficient to run say a 40L charged 50L keg.

Cheers again.
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 am

I run 2= 2500 watt ones you only need to control 1 of them
Aussiedownunder01

Return to Electrical Hardware