REX C100 PID

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: REX C100 PID

Postby Kimbo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:16 am

My PID had the relay in it on the SSR side, i have removed it as per the youtube vid.
should I put it back in?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby mickiboi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:38 am

No just make sure it is wired correctly according to the vid.
mickiboi

equipment: Alex25

Postby Linny » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Any luck?
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Kimbo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Linny wrote:Any luck?

Nup, Fuck know what i've done :crying-blue:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby punchy21 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:39 pm

My sestos PID is just sitting on the bench(gotta pull my finger out) if you want borrow/buy it so yo can get it up and running??
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Kimbo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Thanks Punchy, I'll keep that in mind mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
the problem is definitely in the settings, i just have to figure out where :think:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:21 am

OK gents,
the update is.... i think my PID is fucked! I can still use it to operate my element and see what temp my wort is at. When it starts to shit me manually turning the thing on and off to maintain temp, I'll get another one....or a STC 1000, we'll see.
but for now thanks heaps for your help, especially that I gave you very little to go on :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'll post some pics soon ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby mickiboi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:17 pm

"Perhaps its fucked then!", that's always the last assumption we arrive at. I'm not sure it though, its acting like a direct acting controller which means its doing something.
mickiboi

Postby Kimbo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:46 pm

I reverted it back to the factory settings and it still isnt working. In fact, when I alter the SV, the PV stays the same ( which tells me that the SV didnt really change at all) does that make sense?..... i'm confusing myself now 8-}
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby punchy21 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:01 pm

So if its back to factory settings, try putting in micki's parameters and see how it goes...
punchy21

6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Kimbo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Kimbo wrote:I reverted it back to the factory settings and it still isnt working. In fact, when I alter the SV, the PV stays the same ( which tells me that the SV didnt really change at all) does that make sense?..... i'm confusing myself now 8-}

I should clarify that statement... the PV is not showing me the actual temp but the difference between the SV and the actual temp.
punchy21 wrote:So if its back to factory settings, try putting in micki's parameters and see how it goes...

Yup, did that too. I will keep fiddling with it and see what happens. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Kimbo ,is there any remote possability that you accidentally shorted the wires coming out of the PID ...if you did ...even for a split second while it was on ,then there is the extremely high likelyhood that the transistor that normally controls the relay (on the PCB that you would have removed when you modded it) would have been instantly destroyed which would give the exact symptoms that this PID seems to be displaying . IE its output is permanently on.

There is also the possibility that the SSR is shorted ...have you tried disconnecting the control lines from the PID and confirmed that the the element switches off.........After 35 years in the electronic repair bis ,I have come across many situations where the brains is always blamed first .A logical fault finding procedure can often find the real cause .
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Kimbo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:36 am

Yummyrum wrote:Kimbo ,is there any remote possability that you accidentally shorted the wires coming out of the PID ...if you did ...even for a split second while it was on ,then there is the extremely high likelyhood that the transistor that normally controls the relay (on the PCB that you would have removed when you modded it) would have been instantly destroyed which would give the exact symptoms that this PID seems to be displaying . IE its output is permanently on.Mate, there is a very good chance of that... I was having the same thought myself, is there anything I can do about it or is it knackered?

There is also the possibility that the SSR is shorted ...have you tried disconnecting the control lines from the PID and confirmed that the the element switches off.........After 35 years in the electronic repair bis ,I have come across many situations where the brains is always blamed first .A logical fault finding procedure can often find the real cause .

I ended up getting the PID to stop the output when I set the SV to Zero. the PV still showed the same as when the SV was set to 62 deg, so I will keep fiddling with it.

Is there anyway of setting the PV to show the actual temp rather than the difference in temp?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby mickiboi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:00 pm

Kimbo wrote:I ended up getting the PID to stop the output when I set the SV to Zero. the PV still showed the same as when the SV was set to 62 deg, so I will keep fiddling with it.

Is there anyway of setting the PV to show the actual temp rather than the difference in temp?

I can't find any setting for PV/SV difference temperature in the 3 manuals I have. Are you sure your thermocouple is OK? Are you sure you have a 0-400C K type?
mickiboi

Postby Kimbo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 pm

mickiboi wrote:
Kimbo wrote:I ended up getting the PID to stop the output when I set the SV to Zero. the PV still showed the same as when the SV was set to 62 deg, so I will keep fiddling with it.

I can't find any setting for PV/SV difference temperature in the 3 manuals I have. Are you sure your thermocouple is OK? Are you sure you have a 0-400C K type?

Yes, but I was wrong once......I spose it could happen again :laughing-rolling:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby mickiboi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:04 pm

Kimbo wrote:Yes, but I was wrong once......I spose it could happen again :laughing-rolling:

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
mickiboi

Postby Kimbo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:04 pm

Ok, firstly I would like to say thanks to you fine folk for your help and input :clap: :clap: :clap:
I finally got the bastard thing working.....coz I wired in my STC 1000. I dont really like it coz it tends to over shoot, but it worked well for my fermentation cupboard and it will do me for now.
Now, I'm on the market for a new REX C100. The ones on Ebay range from $10- $20. how can I tell the shit from clay? I am watching one from Hong Kong, which looked marginally better than all the ones from China....Is there anything specific I should look for?
Cheers fellas :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby mickiboi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Kimbo wrote:Ok, firstly I would like to say thanks to you fine folk for your help and input :clap: :clap: :clap:
I finally got the bastard thing working.....coz I wired in my STC 1000. I dont really like it coz it tends to over shoot, but it worked well for my fermentation cupboard and it will do me for now.
Now, I'm on the market for a new REX C100. The ones on Ebay range from $10- $20. how can I tell the shit from clay? I am watching one from Hong Kong, which looked marginally better than all the ones from China....Is there anything specific I should look for?
Cheers fellas :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I got mine from www.5stardistilling.com.au. http://www.www.5stardistilling.com.au.com/item/5-IN-1-1 ... 54984.html.

They work fine and no relay to remove :laughing-rolling: sorry mate couldn't resist.

But these are much better http://www.www.5stardistilling.com.au.com/item/Sestos-D ... 42249.html.
mickiboi

Postby punchy21 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:19 pm

punchy21

6kW 50L Boiler

Postby mickiboi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:26 pm

punchy21 wrote:This is the one I got ...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIN-Digital- ... 338b6b5ff6

They are a great controller. My choice before the Chinese REX knock offs.
mickiboi

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Hardware