Analog or digital gauges

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Analog or digital gauges

Postby 1 2many » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 pm

I am in the process of getting components for a controller and hoping I can get some feed back on others experience with the old school analog type gauge that is precision engineered or the digital type gauge. I am leaning towards the analog type cause I think the visual pointer will be easier to see at a glance ...but then my eyes aren't real flash .

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Re: Analog or digital gauges

Postby bayshine » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:48 pm

Hey 12
I haven't seen or used a digital volt gauge yet but have an anolog one and it is easy to use :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It was rather expensive if I can remember (rs online) but I'm happy with the quality
Cheers
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby punchy21 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:15 pm

:text-+1: for the analog, nice and smooth...
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby newbiboozer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:50 am

I have a digital one that does volts and amps. It is reasonably sized and backlite. I am happy enough with it. Was cheap on eBay and don't see that the accuracy matters that much as long as it give you an indication of where you are at. Once set on a run I don't fiddle with it much.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby OzKev » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 am

I tried an ebay digital one, one I dropped the power below about 100v it cut out on me. Also it started smoking after about 10mins so it quickly got removed. I'm now running an analog one and it works great. It displays a clean sweep of the voltage all the way down. I think the analogue also look more "pro" :-B

This is the one I'm using, it is cheap enough.
http://www.uxcell.com/class-0250v-analog-voltage-voltmeter-panel-meter-85l1v-p-377728.html
The site doesn't state it, but it is in US dollars. I've purchased many times from this site and never had a drama. Also they sent you a $5 voucher every time, so if you need 2 and can wait buy one and then use the voucher for the second one (or something else), but it has a one month expiry.

You could try the code UXPKJSUCT9, but it expired on 21-APR so I doubt it will work.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby 1 2many » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks fellas for your input, I should of mentioned I plan to use PWM to control the ssr's for a linear slope on the output and planed on a 1 Hz cycle then I thought that would give a lot of needle bounce anyone suffer this issue. :-B I still think analog might be first choice . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby OzKev » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:25 pm

1 2many wrote:Thanks fellas for your input, I should of mentioned I plan to use PWM to control the ssr's for a linear slope on the output and planed on a 1 Hz cycle then I thought that would give a lot of needle bounce anyone suffer this issue. :-B I still think analog might be first choice . :handgestures-thumbupleft:

if you are going to use a SSR why not just grab one that supports resistance, then all you need is a simple pot is needed to control it?
OzKev

- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit T500

Postby 1 2many » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:35 pm

OzKev wrote:
1 2many wrote:Thanks fellas for your input, I should of mentioned I plan to use PWM to control the ssr's for a linear slope on the output and planed on a 1 Hz cycle then I thought that would give a lot of needle bounce anyone suffer this issue. :-B I still think analog might be first choice . :handgestures-thumbupleft:

if you are going to use a SSR why not just grab one that supports resistance, then all you need is a simple pot is needed to control it?

Well I already have 2 x pmw's and 2 x voltage triggered ssr's and was under the impression that the resistance type worked mainly at one end of the pots range.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby OzKev » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm

1 2many wrote:
OzKev wrote:

Well I already have 2 x pmw's and 2 x voltage triggered ssr's and was under the impression that the resistance type worked mainly at one end of the pots range.

That would depend on the resistance of the SSR Vs the pot. ie if you used a SSR designed for 500K ohm, with a 1000K ohm pot you would have minimal pot movement to do a lot of adjustment on the output, but if you had a 350K ohm pot you would have to turn it a lot more to change the voltage. I'm running mine with a 680K ohm pot (what was on hand) and can easily adjust the output within a couple of Volt increments.

At the end of the day, both methods should work great :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm just not 100% sure using PWM if the analogue gauge will show a smooth output, I think it should. $US 5.99 I'd give it a try, just dont cut a hole in the box for the gauge until you tried it.
OzKev

- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit T500

Postby 1 2many » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks ozkev I just scored a couple of meters .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370438615097 ... 1439.l2649

2 for $10.90 delivered not bad see how they go. Cheers
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Return to Electrical Hardware