Weldless 2400w element

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Weldless 2400w element

Postby FireKitty » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi folks, I finally got my 2400w weldless element from Mac's store wired up, and had a few questions due to what the sparky said when he gave me the goodies...

He reckons that this particular element 'will keep on getting hotter and hotter without a thermostat shutoff' - is this true? I assumed that the wattage would limit the temperature somewhat and stop the piece from self-destructing...

Any input or advice here? Could have posted in the newbies corner, but seemed more appropriate here in ElecHardware.

FireKitty
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Re: Weldless 2400w element

Postby Muppet » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:37 pm

They are widely used in this application and work. I use the welded type but same same. Remember they are immersed in liquid an constantly transferring heat. You should not run dry.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:31 pm

keeps getting hotter and hotter till what? it becomes a supernova? :laughing-rolling:

without a thermostat shut off or regulator it just has the on or off ability. You wont be able to get the liquid to a specific temperature- thus have the ability to run the still slower
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby punchy21 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:27 pm

Keep it immersed and you'll be fine... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby FireKitty » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks folks - think the fella in question was just a bit in the dark on how distilling works :)

He also added an earth wire for me to attach to grounding, despite having a 3-pronged power cord - is this normal?

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Its for grounding the boiler so weld a screw on the boiler and ground it that way i was going to do the same but my sparky pointed out that with a welded ferrule the tri clamp contact between ferrules conects the earthing on the the element in your case though i assume the seal on the weldless element will prevent direct grounding of the boiler so to be safe i would definately earth the boiler with that wire :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby OzKev » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:28 pm

Looks like yet another post deleted on this forum.... :O)

sorry for trying to post something useful for the OP :handgestures-thumbdown:
Last edited by OzKev on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby OzKev » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:36 pm

FireKitty wrote:Hi folks, I finally got my 2400w weldless element from Mac's store wired up, and had a few questions due to what the sparky said when he gave me the goodies...

He reckons that this particular element 'will keep on getting hotter and hotter without a thermostat shutoff' - is this true? I assumed that the wattage would limit the temperature somewhat and stop the piece from self-destructing...

Any input or advice here? Could have posted in the newbies corner, but seemed more appropriate here in ElecHardware.

FireKitty

Some clarification from your sparky is needed.

The element in water will heat up. As it heats the resistence increases. My 2400w elements run at 2230w and 2250w once hot. Which is ok and will vary depending on exact input voltage, it does vary in Australia. The elements have a given physical size, the size against the wattage is our heat density. The heat density of an element determines what it can heat successfully. These are ok for wort.

What I think your electrician is leading to is they do not have boil dry protection to prevent them overheating. In the case of either the elements being run out of water/wort, or shit being burnt onto the elements preventing heat transfer into the water/wort then the element will overheat potentially then becoming dangerous.
OzKev

- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit T500

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:38 pm

OzKev wrote:Looks like yet another post deleted on this forum.... :O)

sorry for trying to post something useful for the OP :handgestures-thumbdown:

Bullshit !

What's your problem this time ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby OzKev » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Maybe it was a server error? My post has gone, the repost has not yet, your attitude seems the same.
OzKev

- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit T500

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:05 pm

nothing was deleted, there was no server error, my attitude is fine ;-)

I put back the post you tried to delete after I had already replied ;-)

Wouldnt be like the mods on AHB to delete things that were posted to help members ;-)

Think you should check your own attitude before gobbing off ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Electrical Hardware