Element guard question

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Element guard question

Postby davecuds » Tue May 20, 2014 1:39 pm

Howdy,
I've just finished up my element guard but thought better run it by you guys. I was using a piece of PVC before which I earthed via a ss screw onto the element nut. This time I thought I could just solder the earth wire directly onto the inside of the element casing. Can anyone see any problems with this?
davecuds

equipment: 50L boiler, 4 plate bubbler. 3600w element, SSR controlled

Re: Element guard question

Postby davecuds » Tue May 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Some pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davecuds

Postby Smbjk » Tue May 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Dude that is 1 crazy element. I would first try and clean up the contacts then attach the earth using a small bolt and nut that way to is hard to come loose and become un earthed. However im no sparky but that is what I did and when everything is assembled it will be earthed but first give the element a good clean or get a new one it looks a little dangerous :scared-eek:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby davecuds » Tue May 20, 2014 2:45 pm

I guess it was looking a little rough. Here it is with a little clean. Its only a few months old but to be fair i have been flogging the shit out of it. There terminals had to be modified due to a seized bolt but the crimps fit on there really well. I need to yank them pretty hard to get them off. The earth wired is soldered on there pretty well so im confident it will hold. I can go back to the nut and bolt i guess.

I have 2 more elements being delivered but it'll be another 2 weeks so i'd like get a few more runs in the meantime.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davecuds

Postby pulsetech » Tue May 20, 2014 2:58 pm

I would feel a lot better if you used fully insulated terminals. That way if one does pull off its less likely to short out. You can get them from bunnings / masters / autobarn and plenty of other places. Or you could heat shrink over the top of them. Jaycar sells hear shrink with glue inside that would give your some more security.
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby pulsetech » Tue May 20, 2014 2:59 pm

After looking at your picture again I bet if you rotated both terminals they would touch. Bad news
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby punchy21 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:20 pm

pulsetech wrote:I would feel a lot better if you used fully insulated terminals. That way if one does pull off its less likely to short out. You can get them from bunnings / masters / autobarn and plenty of other places. Or you could heat shrink over the top of them. Jaycar sells hear shrink with glue inside that would give your some more security.

:text-+1:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby sp0rk » Tue May 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Looks like you've burned some of the epoxy out of the end of the element
You may or may not have problems with moisture ingress, make sure you keep it nice and dry in there
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby stretch69 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:43 pm

That thing is crazy, it looks like something from that moonshiners show :-)
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby davecuds » Tue May 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Yeah I'll be a good boy and wait for my new elements, do em right
davecuds

Postby Andy » Tue May 20, 2014 6:04 pm

davecuds i found an element in worse condition than yours 8-} :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby davecuds » Tue May 20, 2014 6:31 pm

:scared-eek:
Oh shit! what happened to that?
davecuds

Postby sp0rk » Tue May 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Looks like calcium and organics buildup
then possibly overheating due to all the gunk on there
used to get a fair few spa heaters come back to the heating element manufacturer I used to work for looking just like that
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby Yummyrum » Tue May 20, 2014 7:44 pm

NO ,you can't solder the earth wire on .It looks to me as if you intend to solder the cover onto the cap that the earth is soldered onto ..There is no way you can guarantee that the earth will not sweat back off ..Simply fuckin dangerous and illegal wiring practices

Don't do it ...it must be connected via a nut and bolt with star washers and an eye terminal .The earth wire connection must be longer that the other connections.
This will ensure that if the power cord is pulled on , ( because sure enough someone at some stage will trip over the cord) the earth is the last terminal that could be ripped off ..giving the best chance of survival for anyone that comes in contact with the boiler

Dave , hats off for asking :handgestures-thumbupleft: ...hopefully you have put something out there that other might read ...and saved someone down the track
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby davecuds » Tue May 20, 2014 9:57 pm

Cheers Yummy,
yeah mate, i normally rush in and do things but i got to that point and thought it'd be better to check first. Im sure im not the only one who has thought of/done it.

Will fix that tomorrow
davecuds

Postby APR » Wed May 21, 2014 8:47 am

davecuds wrote:Will fix that tomorrow

G'Day Davecuds, where you have soldered on the copper housing around the terminal area you need to evaluate under what conditions the assembly method could fail. As an example, what would happen if the element were to by chance be run or boil dry, and the temperature were to get higher than the solder melting point.
APR

equipment: A couple of 2" boka stills with a few different concepts implemented in them.

Postby davecuds » Wed May 21, 2014 9:29 am

Another good point APR. Following Yummy's advice Ill put a longer earth wire in attached to a circular crimp with nut and bolt and a star washer. The terminal crimps are now the cylindrical ones and fully insulated and i managed to solder them to the termials with a soldering iron, then wrapped each individually with electrical tape. Will only use it one or two more times then my new babies will arrive.
davecuds

Postby CyBaThUg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:22 pm

hey guys a quick question, i have one of the old style copper fsd element guards I dont think they r sold here anymore but its takin me a long bloody time to sort my shit out and now im just putting it on my keg and im having a problem remembering what side the o ring sits on. So directly against the guard and bsb join or against the element inside against the guard. Either way its still leaks but once screwed on without the guard it seals. i have the guard only drilled to a size where it screws on the element should i drill it a little bigger cuz maybe im unable to screw it tight enough to get a seal when the element is screwed in :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby MacStill » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Whack the seal in here mate, you could also use a little thread tape on the element :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 5.29.38 pm.png
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby CyBaThUg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:59 pm

hey mac i know i sound stupid lol but think i figured out where i was going wrong that 50 mm cap does that sit over the bsb join cuz i had it on the face of the bsb join
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware