Dave's controller box build

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Dave's controller box build

Postby davecuds » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:09 am

Ok, so i have made the decision to upgrade my controller box. A decision made easier to my old one dying.
I picked up a beaut of a SS box from the scrappy some weeks ago for 10 bucks. It has a closable, water tight lid, predrilled holes and even came with some cable glands. I guess i was already a control box of some sort in its previous life.
The idea behind this is to have control over all facets of my distilling operation. So mashing, distilling, all the pumps etc etc. I have just orderd some things from ebay including a few SSRs, fan, heatsinks, PT100, PID and a few other bits and pieces. Goodbye $170 eek. I have a lecky mate lined up to help so all the planets are aligning.
I was just about to order some things from Uxcell like led's, pots and switches.
I'm a bit stumped on the switches. If i have 3600w drawing 15a then i assume the switches need to be 15a rated correct? And if im using a 5500w element then a 25a switch is needed? Something seems off to me here as i have view other setups and im sure a 25a switch is not used. Am i missing something?
davecuds

equipment: 50L boiler, 4 plate bubbler. 3600w element, SSR controlled

Re: Dave's controller box build

Postby badbird » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:25 am

I'm putting together the stuff for a similar controller. Wish i had your luck with stainless enclosures from the scrappy :pray: that's something still on my list.
A lot of the designs appear to switch the element via the SSR control circuit so its only low current - low voltage then have a ~30A 3 phase NO contactor as the master switch / isolator controlled by a momentary contact start switch and emergency stop switch.
badbird

equipment: 4 x 4" bubble cap column and other assorted bent-up copper

Postby davecuds » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:26 am

Cheers Bird, ill look into that.

Here's a pic of the box after a bit of a clean. Can't wait to fill it with spaghetti :)

IMG_0873.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davecuds

Postby badbird » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:33 am

That looks great Dave, I'm GREEN with jealousy :mrgreen:
badbird

Postby pulsetech » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Electricians don't like multiple supplys in the same box. It's not actually legal so ask your sparky before you bust your ass fitting it out only to find he won't hook it up. You might need him to run a new cable to supply the box all on 1 circuit.
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby badbird » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:52 pm

pulsetech wrote:Electricians don't like multiple supplys in the same box. It's not actually legal

True,
But I don't think multiple supply's where mentioned?
badbird

Postby pulsetech » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:39 pm

That's true
pulsetech

Postby davecuds » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:02 am

Yeah i'll let my electrician to work out the best way to do it. Im just going to tell him what i need/want, then he can tell me what he can do.....or tell me to get F$%&ed :)

My idea is to have 2 x 3500w elements to power the still, both controlled by SSR's. Probably unnecessary at the moment with a 50L boiler but i may like to upgrade. Another 5500w element will be for my HLT and will be controlled with a PID. It will also contain controls for cooling water and march pumps. Pretty basic but functional.
davecuds

Postby pulsetech » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:25 am

Yeah that's a lot of power.
Elements total 12500watts
My cooling pump is 1000 watts
March pump 300watts
Total is just under 14000 watts. That's going to be a 60amp circuit.
pulsetech

Postby davecuds » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:27 am

Luckily in my shed there is already a 60a circuit. He hasn't been down to check it all out yet so i might be getting ahead of myself. Hopefully in a few weeks we would have worked something out.
davecuds

Postby pulsetech » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:33 am

I wish I had 60amps in my shed.
pulsetech

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Dave,

What's the reasoning behind going for 1 x huge element ?

Personally myself I'd rather a bank of lower powered elements all on their own circuit breakers, especially on the larger boilers like Docs & Ironbark Distillery, this way if an element blows mid run you don't lose all that expensive wash or low wines (we're talking over 300L though) and don't have to drain the boiler to replace an element because we can simply switch to one that wasn't being used, or just run at 2400w less power.

Saves time, money & head aches ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby pulsetech » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:35 pm

I have my elements configured as 4 x 1200 watts
pulsetech

Postby davecuds » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Hmmm, well its something to think about. At the moment i have 2 kegs as boilers. 1 has 2 nipples and the other only has 1. So i thought hat would be the best configuration for my setup, otherwise i need to visit a welder and have him put a few more nipples in my keg. If i decide to go larger then i will definitely have more than less elements to power it. I can't see anything in the near future though. I need to win the lotto to keep the hobby alive hahaha
davecuds

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:24 pm

oh well you've got a nice new 2400w element on the way, nice to see it go to someone who needs it :-D

have you seen the DIY element guards ? wouldn't be too hard to fit them in a weld-less fashion and they're cheap as to make.

also thinking with the T500 adapters you DIY guys without TIG or MIG welders could use them as a weldles 2" ferrule ? as long as you had a 4" opening on top of your keg you'd be laughing. I'd just need to check the ID to see if the element flange fit through it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby davecuds » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:34 pm

I have made a few of those element guards already. First one was a bit dodgy but i got em sussed now. Yeah i like that idea! I will cut a 4" hole in my keg soon to fit the column straight on, eliminating my 4" x 2" reducer. Then i can stick my arm in, so it would be possible. Im finally starting to earn some money again so i know where my first pay check is going!
davecuds

Postby pulsetech » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:37 pm

I need to stop going to the gym. No chance of getting my arm in a 4 inch hole I get stuck about quarter of the way up my forearm
pulsetech

Postby davecuds » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:01 pm

Hahaha shit, gonna call you popeye from now
davecuds

Postby pulsetech » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:45 pm

Nah I hate spinach
pulsetech

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:51 pm

pulsetech wrote:I need to stop going to the gym. No chance of getting my arm in a 4 inch hole I get stuck about quarter of the way up my forearm

geez pulse....wish I had some of those muscle mak'in emzimythingys....I recon I could stick my chicken legs in in a 4" hole ...right up to my .... :laughing-rolling:

only thing that seems to expand is my guts. :angry-banghead:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Return to Electrical Hardware