Boiler wont run on 15amp circuit

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: Boiler wont run on 15amp circuit

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Sinerjee wrote:Is all of that really needed? To be honest I was just going to run a potentiometer if I ever needed to run a voltage controller. More resistance=less voltage.

YES ...other wise your pot would go up in smoke ...what do you think is in that plastic case that is the SSR VA25 ?...its the bits that make it not go up in smoke ....otherwise we would just be wiring a pot in series with an element :pray:

Funny you should say that ...at work I was playing with a rheostat light bulb and 12 volt power supply , while dimming the light bulb the rheostat was starting to burn my hand ......a 25 watt light bulb and 12 volts .

Now upscale that to 2400watts and 240 volts and explain to me how a 2 watt potentiometer ( rheostat ) is going to disapate all the unwanted power
Hense the controller curcuit :handgestures-thumbupleft:...electronics is there for a reason :think:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Sinerjee wrote:Is all of that really needed? To be honest I was just going to run a potentiometer if I ever needed to run a voltage controller. More resistance=less voltage.

And all that was explaining whats in this ...the PSR-25 black box you see HERE

Same as the SSR VA25
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Cols15 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:56 pm

So for a basic SSR-VA circuit you could use these parts as the pot is matched to the SSR?

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/351098905695?n ... ING_ACTIVE

And

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/351098440313?n ... ING_ACTIVE
Cols15

equipment: Mac Pot Still 2"
4" Bubbler, 4 plates and 500mm packed section
50lt 4.8kw Boiler

Postby Brendan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Yummy is right on the mark.

On a 10A cct, you would be using a 2400W element...your 'more resistance=less voltage' theory means that the remaining voltage is dropped across the resistance/potentiometer...so your resistor would need to be able to dissipate 2400W...at best, yours would dissipate 5W...see the obvious problem?

The reason we use semiconductor devices is they are far more efficient at performing these switching operations. They achieve the desired result effectively and with accuracy with the addition of some simple circuitry that supplies the gate triggering pulses (this is where we can use the potentiometer effectively)...

And that 240V fan mentioned earlier wouldn't be overkill, they draw little current and it saves you having to wire in a phone charger or something similar if you run a 12V fan :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Previous

Return to Electrical Hardware