Help on choosing the right Element for my Boiler

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: Help on choosing the right Element for my Boiler

Postby twojaythomo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:38 am

I guess this could work with a 20m ext. lead didn't think about that thanks mac, as 2 many said before it will probably get to be a pain In the ass. How much heat could I put through it before it is too much anyway, is there someway of working it out?
twojaythomo

equipment: 4" Bubbler, keg boiler with 2 elements and voltage regulator.

Postby twojaythomo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:31 pm

Hey been trying to install the FSD 2400w weldless element, it seems to keep leaking slightly, just would like to confirm the correct way to install the gasket.

I have been install the gasket on the inside so goes like this, element, slicone gasket, pull it through the keg screw the nut on then srew the surround guard on. I even tried sealing it up with some high temp sealent but was still leaking through the threads.

Can someone explain the right way or the reason it is leaking.
twojaythomo

Postby 1 2many » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:47 pm

I think you need to tighten the nut up a bit more that should fix it, I didn't have a spanner big enough so I used a G clamp to tighten the nut, It worked but took a couple of times to tension it write. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:48 pm

If the element is done up too tight it will distort the silicone washer and it will leak, also check the inner edge of the hole in your boiler for burs or the like.

You shouldnt need to use any sealant on it, it's very rare one of these leaks.... if the seal isnt in good nick anymore just send me an email and I'll stick one in the post for you as I have a few spares.

You can also do away with the retaining nut and just use the guard and spare 2" seal provided to secure the element from the outside of the keg/boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Let me know how you go.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby twojaythomo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Hey Mac I did damage the seal by tighting it too much I could fix you up for another one if thats ok.
twojaythomo

Postby twojaythomo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Or even where I could get one from
twojaythomo

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Dont stress mate, I'll stick a couple in the post for you monday morning :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby twojaythomo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Cheers Mac, I just checked for burs then, nothing, smooth as must have just been a too tight.

Lesson learnt, but the element works great looks awesome too. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
twojaythomo

Postby Danish » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:00 pm

i'm proberly the biggest newbie on here, but could you use a ring burner to speed the heating process up ? they go very cheap on ebay from time to time
Danish

equipment: 2" pot and vm reflux still, build by 7Evan

Previous

Return to Electrical Hardware