Non distilling electrical question

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Non distilling electrical question

Postby C2H6O » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:19 pm

Sorry this is a bit off topic but need a bit of advice. I have 2 electricity meters 1 for power 1 for heating and hot water. Tonight (about an hour before the futur inlaws turn up) my heating has gone off, checked the meter and it's not spinning, been watching it over the past 3 hrs and nothing. None of the fuses have been thrown and I'm presuming I'm going to wake up In the morning with no hot water.. Now I know I can't touch it but what am I looking at here? Could the meter be farked? Pretty embarrising timing !! Will call someone in the morn, is this the providers problem (should I call them) or do I just need to call a sparky?

Cheers guys
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Re: Non distilling electrical question

Postby pulsetech » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:22 pm

It's unlikely your heating is on the night rate meters.
What sort of heating do you have. If you have night rate hot water you won't see that meter spin until late at night. (Low tariff)
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby C2H6O » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Hey mate, it's a Tassie initiative I think they introduced a while back to reduce the wood heaters. It's not a peak or off peak thing it's just a lower rate. It's normally running 24/7 :crying-blue:
C2H6O

Postby pulsetech » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Ahh gotcha but I'd still bet unless you just had a long shower that it's a fault with the heater and not the meter.
If you want to prove it fill up your bath about half way. That should be enough to make your hot water service kick in. What sort of heating is it ?
pulsetech

Postby C2H6O » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Cheers mate, I'm hoping that's the case. The heating is random its a single duct that heats upstairs. I also have gas heating so I'm not to stressed about that was just worried about the water. See where you're coming from, hopefully it hasn't kicked in yet!! Dishwasher is running now so will keep an eye on it.

Cheers for the help mate hopefully I'm stressing about nothing.
C2H6O

Postby pulsetech » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:57 pm

If your heating has an old type thermostat give it a good tap on the cover. Sometimes the contacts can crud up.
pulsetech

Postby C2H6O » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:13 pm

It's spinning, you were right on the money mate, I was getting worried about nothing. Heater has shit itself, I have given the thermo a good tap but nothing. Will kill the power tomorrow and take the cover off the thermo and look for any visible gunk. Relieved its only that heater, appreciate the help mate.
C2H6O

Postby pulsetech » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Not a problem mate
pulsetech

Return to Electrical Hardware