How do you run an ac motor anti clockwise

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

How do you run an ac motor anti clockwise

Postby 1 2many » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:49 pm

If anyone could help this would be great, it is a 240v AC washing machine motor with start/run capacitor and I want to reverse the direction of rotation, DC easy just swap polarity but a bit confused with the AC side, :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Re: How do you run an ac motor anti clockwise

Postby bayshine » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:30 pm

Rotate it 180 degrees :teasing-neener:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:48 pm

1 2.

I would have thought that if you can isolate the start winding then reverse its polarity then the motor should sratr on opersite direction.
I'M gathering that the start capacitor is only connected via a centrifugal contact until the motor gets up go speed

Edit: I'm feely sure some induction motors have a "Twist" in the squirrel cage that helps with the efficency.This may be less than efficeint when runing in reverse
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby flamehawk » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:06 pm

flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Postby Brendan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:40 pm

Yummyrum wrote:I would have thought that if you can isolate the start winding then reverse its polarity then the motor should start on opposite direction.

Yep :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby pulsetech » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:25 am

The guys are correct. You need to find the start winding and reverse it. It depends a lot on what kind of motor design it is as to where you will find it and if it's even possible. Some photos will go a long way to us helping you. Does the motor have a centrifugal start switch or electronic ? Pull the end cap off and snap a few photos if you can. I do a lot of this for work
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby 1 2many » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks guys my question has been answered :smile: I will come clean and say that I did it a while back on a motor but wasn't sure how the hell i did it :oops: The motor does't have a centrifugal switch just the coils and capacitor and i remember switching the the coil wires but had no luck so I pulled the motor to bits for shits and giggles and then rebuilt it hooked it all up and found then it was running in the direction I wanted. :D

So that just leaves the start winding must have fluked it when I hooked it all up after rebuild. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Return to Electrical Hardware